Why Are PUFA's Delicious?

OP
N

narouz

Such_Saturation said:
It's not supernatural :D on the most physical part it is like a form of Buteyko.

Neurocognitive and Somatic Components of Temperature Increases during g-Tummo Meditation: Legend and Reality

We could call instinctual any reasoning that occurs below the level of the restricted Westerner's consciousness. It is quite unhelpful to separate the two with a knife I think.

I've read with interest explorations of Tibetan monks'...let's say, unusual powers.
The temperature stuff.
Also levitation stuff. (Now that might be called supernatural.)
So I'm not closed-minded about all that.

But picking up on your use of the word "consciousness,"
and your notion that the instinct is that which usually operates below conscious awareness,
and also thinking of this idea of yours mentioned earlier...

Such_Saturation said:
Such_Saturation wrote:
And with declining stress levels you become better and better at listening to your body, which is basically just as important as your taste buds.

...Seems to me we're talking about consciousness
(and reason, and scientific method, etc)
becoming more aware of instinct
and, maybe, affecting/retraining it.

Again, I came up with the "Why Are PUFA's Delicious?" question
in a whimsical mood,
but with some serious intent.

It's a little bit like asking "Why does evil exist in the world?" :lol:

But the hypothesis
that PUFA containing food is delicious
simply because the PUFA taste is masked...
I think that's a real possibility.
Alternatively, we might postulate that
PUFAs are a tasteless, odorless substance--
an undetectable poison, so to speak.

In either case,
I would think this points us to a view of human instinct
as fallible.

I think I also have a thread called something like
"Is Peat Eating Instinctual?"
That one, and this thread, are meant to interrogate similar ideas.

I am talking about the consciousness expanding, encompassing and fusing with what many stressed out people would call "instinct", "autonomous system", "just meat", "hippie crap"... This cannot be avoided when you eat Peatish, at least a little bit, even if you are very closed-minded. The everyday noise can be more and more disregarded.

The PUFA is something pertaining to a stressful environment, but life can still exploit it, taking whatever is valuable and employing it in the creation of a stress-free space around itself. We all used some sort of bootstrap to lift ourselves into happiness and success.

J

j.

I bet narouz's girlfriends loved his penchant for never-ending discussions. Imagine if there was a fight, and going over and over it for years...

Nicholas

tara said:
Asimov said:
key said:
Asimov said:
expensive saturated fats.

i think coconut oil is just as cheap
Not where I shop. You can probably buy 3 gallons of corn oil for the same price as about 12oz of coconut oil.

But I agree with J. Occasional nut consumption should be about the least of your worldly concerns. While pecans contain a lot of PUFA, they also have a lot of MUFA and some SFA. When taken in totality of your overall diet, a handful of pecans once a month is going to amount to a negligible amount of PUFA.

Ditto, the cheapest RBD coconut oil I can find here costs 8 x as much as canola or soys or generic 'vegetable' oil and about 2x as much as butter. I have the luxury of being able to afford butter and cocnut oil. Many don't.

pecans are also a great source of thiamin

narouz said:
Chicken wings deep-fried in lard or peanut oil, perchance?
Served with a side of avocado dressed with Vegenaise?
How about a big snack of almonds and pecans?
Or a pork medallion, breaded with Panko and sauteed in bacon grease?
Oh, that reminds me of bacon: how about 2 to 20 slices?

Does this point to the existence of a Malign God in the universe?

Actually, it's a serious question.
Why would taste, which Peat sometimes says is a reliable guide,
steer us down a destructive path?
In other dietary realms,
for instance, say, with gluten,
one will hear explanatory theories running something like this:
as we try to wean ourselves of gluten,
they begin to exert an increasingly stronger claim on our appetite....

Flowers of Evil?

...in other words,
the idea of addiction.
Are PUFAs addictive?

Chicken wings could be fried in coconut oil and they would taste the same or better. Chicken wings are also salted very much, and most of the time are consumed with a sweet/salty condiment, therefore blocking the taste of the PUFA oil. Avocado is mostly mono, not poly, and even avocados are usually consumed with salt and condiments such as guacamole (onions, garlic powder etc.), not just the pure avocado is consumed by itself. Bacon is cured, which is a process that makes it taste how it tastes. It's a special type of salting process that makes bacon taste so good, and bacon is not just a PUFA, its a mix of all three fats. Try eating bacon uncured fresh from the pig, no salt, no condiments, no one does it. PUFA oils are used for cooking in a weird way but a modern way. They also serve as the base of the delivery of sweet sugar and salt, such is salad dressings, and dipping sauces, they are a delivery system for sweet and salt and other flavors. Same with nuts and seeds, the best selling nuts and seeds are the salted and roasted ones, and other flavored ones like honey nuts. No one eats raw unsalted nuts, despite the claims of snake oil raw food hucksters. So it's not the PUFA that tastes delicious, its the salt and sweet tangy flavors that always accompany it.

OP
N

narouz

Westside PUFAs said:
narouz said:
Chicken wings deep-fried in lard or peanut oil, perchance?
Served with a side of avocado dressed with Vegenaise?
How about a big snack of almonds and pecans?
Or a pork medallion, breaded with Panko and sauteed in bacon grease?
Oh, that reminds me of bacon: how about 2 to 20 slices?

Does this point to the existence of a Malign God in the universe?

Actually, it's a serious question.
Why would taste, which Peat sometimes says is a reliable guide,
steer us down a destructive path?
In other dietary realms,
for instance, say, with gluten,
one will hear explanatory theories running something like this:
as we try to wean ourselves of gluten,
they begin to exert an increasingly stronger claim on our appetite....

Flowers of Evil?

...in other words,
the idea of addiction.
Are PUFAs addictive?

Chicken wings could be fried in coconut oil and they would taste the same or better. Chicken wings are also salted very much, and most of the time are consumed with a sweet/salty condiment, therefore blocking the taste of the PUFA oil. Avocado is mostly mono, not poly, and even avocados are usually consumed with salt and condiments such as guacamole (onions, garlic powder etc.), not just the pure avocado is consumed by itself. Bacon is cured, which is a process that makes it taste how it tastes. It's a special type of salting process that makes bacon taste so good, and bacon is not just a PUFA, its a mix of all three fats. Try eating bacon uncured fresh from the pig, no salt, no condiments, no one does it. PUFA oils are used for cooking in a weird way but a modern way. They also serve as the base of the delivery of sweet sugar and salt, such is salad dressings, and dipping sauces, they are a delivery system for sweet and salt and other flavors. Same with nuts and seeds, the best selling nuts and seeds are the salted and roasted ones, and other flavored ones like honey nuts. No one eats raw unsalted nuts, despite the claims of snake oil raw food hucksters. So it's not the PUFA that tastes delicious, its the salt and sweet tangy flavors that always accompany it.

I sympathize.
The truth is often hard to face.
But if you can summon the courage,
it is freeing.

Ulysses

It isn't; the typically high-PUFA foods are tasty in spite of it. I have been experimenting with substituting butter/coconut oil for less saturated fats in a variety of recipes, and there is literally nothing that calls for PUFA that hasn't tasted better with one of those two instead.

I hope I live to see a day, and a glorious day it will be, when I can walk down any street in this city and buy a doughnut that's been fried in coconut oil. At times, the promise of this divine vision is all that sustains me in the face of the world's iniquities. Many thanks to the denizens of this illustrious Forum for doing God's work.

ddjd

Yes, I understand u know pecans are bad. I'm saying most people are *programmed* to think pecans are yummy; they wouldn't eat them otherwise.
are you kidding me. pecans are delicious. what are you talking about "programmed".
But I agree with J. Occasional nut consumption should be about the least of your worldly concerns. While pecans contain a lot of PUFA, they also have a lot of MUFA and some SFA. When taken in totality of your overall diet, a handful of pecans once a month is going to amount to a negligible amount of PUFA.
dont they also have a lot of vitamin E?

rob

Couldn't stand the smell of frying as a child so I've been saved from some PUFA indulgences over the years without even knowing it.

That said, avocados have quite a lot of PUFA in them and, honestly, I find them utterly delicious. Also, I like eggs and they could be viewed as not having the best fatty acid profile.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals
Back
Top Bottom