Why Are PUFA's Delicious?

narouz

Chicken wings deep-fried in lard or peanut oil, perchance?
Served with a side of avocado dressed with Vegenaise?
How about a big snack of almonds and pecans?
Or a pork medallion, breaded with Panko and sauteed in bacon grease?
Oh, that reminds me of bacon: how about 2 to 20 slices?

Does this point to the existence of a Malign God in the universe?

Actually, it's a serious question.
Why would taste, which Peat sometimes says is a reliable guide,
steer us down a destructive path?
In other dietary realms,
for instance, say, with gluten,
one will hear explanatory theories running something like this:
as we try to wean ourselves of gluten,
they begin to exert an increasingly stronger claim on our appetite....

Flowers of Evil?

...in other words,
the idea of addiction.
Are PUFAs addictive?

Yves

I have wondered the same thing. Foods with PUFA are about the only foods that can trigger hyperphagy with me. Potato chips, nuts, french fries, etc even if I don't like the taste and feel like crap when I eat them. I used to buy a 1lb bag of almonds and eat the whole thing in 1/2 a day to the point of literally becoming sick. Eating PUFA foods are the only way I can gain any amount of fat (naturally thin).

OP
N

narouz

Saw this posted on Danny Roddy's Facebook page.
I don't know where it comes from,
but it provides a glimpse into Peat's view of "addiction."

"The fact that a taste of chocolate can provoke a wild lust for more chocolate, or that once cigarette renews the addiction, does not mean that the presence of chocolate or nicotine in the blood creates a craving. Rather, it is that an organism in an unstable state perceives the availability of something which promises to partially restore the desired stability." - Raymond Peat

Combie

"The fact that a taste of chocolate can provoke a wild lust for more chocolate, or that once cigarette renews the addiction, does not mean that the presence of chocolate or nicotine in the blood creates a craving. Rather, it is that an organism in an unstable state perceives the availability of something which promises to partially restore the desired stability." - Raymond Peat
That is an AWESOME quote...exactly whats been running through my mind since my addiction eased.

kettlebell

This is an interesting subject.

The last time I unwittingly had something cooked in sunflower oil as soon as I put it in my mouth I felt physically sick. My taste buds completely reject any vegetable oil now.

gretchen

Wait a minute, chocolate is a PUFA? Actually, I was somewhat addicted to almonds and almond butter my last year paleo.

Combie

gretchen said:
Wait a minute, chocolate is a PUFA? Actually, I was somewhat addicted to almonds and almond butter my last year paleo.
Chocolate fat is saturated. It's not pufa that makes it addictive. Probably PEA that the body seeks. No pufa in tobacco!

Ray-Z

Narouz:

Not trying to jerk your chain here, but I wonder whether (for most people) PUFA is truly tastier than saturated fat, or whether the average Joe just likes PUFA because he enjoys fat. Sure, I love the taste of bacon, but I also love the tastes of butter, cream, and (to a somewhat lesser extent) ruminant fat. I don't recall loving canola or corn oil, though I probably ate lots of nasty stuff made with them.

We could crudely test these hypotheses by comparing, say, bacon with bacon a la Peat (bacon refried in coconut oil after cooking off the bacon fat)...

OP
N

narouz

Ray-Z said:
Narouz:

Not trying to jerk your chain here, but I wonder whether (for most people) PUFA is truly tastier than saturated fat, or whether the average Joe just likes PUFA because he enjoys fat. Sure, I love the taste of bacon, but I also love the tastes of butter, cream, and (to a somewhat lesser extent) ruminant fat. I don't recall loving canola or corn oil, though I probably ate lots of nasty stuff made with them.

We could crudely test these hypotheses by comparing, say, bacon with bacon a la Peat (bacon refried in coconut oil after cooking off the bacon fat)...

1. avocadoes
2. the fatty part of a pig roasted at a "pig-pickin'"
3. eggs fried in pure bacon grease
4. oysters battered w/ white flour and fried in peanut oil
5. a peanut butter sandwich
6. tahini on toast
7. just the crispy, browned, spiced skin of a roasted chicken
8. PUFA feed beef porterhouse steak (I have to confess: grassfed beef never tasted as good to me. :cry: )
9. "wilted lettuce" salad (using hot bacon grease, bacon bits, vinegar & sugar as dressing)
10 Duke's mayonaisse (peanut oil and PUFA eggs)
11. King Oscar double-layer, "cross-pack" sardines

I rest my case. :)

Zanjabil

Pufa oils are not delicious, what we put them in is. Whole food PuFAs are delicious, though. I was hooked on almonds and almond butter until I quit them. Turns out a lot of pufa containing foods are migraine triggers. When I eliminated them I no longer get migraines. They are energy dense foods. It is in our human nature to seek out energy dense foods, but that doesn't mean they are good for us to eat every day.

OP
N

narouz

Not accusing anyone here with doing this,
but I think something that might be called
"Internal Dissonance Masking"
could be at play in PeatWorld when evaluating the deliciousness of various foods.

What I mean is
I think when we take up a particular diet
there is a human tendency to want to believe
that the healthy diet one has chosen
also (voila!)
is the diet which offers the most delicious food.

This is a way of reducing internal dissonance (or at least masking it).
So one doesn't have to struggle within a chosen world
in which two disharmonius things coexist:
1. the foods I'm eating are the most healthy
2. the foods I'm eating are not the most delicious (or even close :lol: )

The argument that foods which are bad for us,
from a Peatian viewpoint,
are also not at all delicious
is rather convenient...isn't it?
But is it true?

Consider all the proliferating shows on television dedicated to cuisine and delicious cooking.
Now, let's imagine we watched all of those shows.
And we kept a very careful log of what was judged most delicious by the various judges.
What percentage of those foods do you imagine would fall within the Healthy Peatian category?
I submit...a very small fraction.

I consider this question asked and answered.
It just seems a fact of life, to me.

Now, I do entertain certain interesting ways of interpreting that semi-tragic :D fact of life.

1. I think appetite may be malleable.
I've noticed that, over time, as I eat a Peatian diet,
I have come to be more at peace with the diet.
My appetite for Peatian foods has increased,
while my hunger for non-Peatian food has waned.
This might indicate that as my body grows more healthy,
my intuition or appetite or hunger or desire evolves.
Maybe my body is learning to attach appetite to healthy targets...?

2. Sort of a corollary:
I've wondered whether appetite might sometimes be looked at
as governed strongly by a dynamic like addiction.
Let me explain by using an admittedly tenuous seeming example.
I have a friend who smokes his **** off.
And yet, and also taking into account his other not-too-healthy habits like strong alcohol consumption,
he remains fairly healthy at about 57 years of age.
Peat has said that smoking actually may confer some protective effects on the brain,
while at the same time posing real dangers for other facets of the body and health.
I tend to think my friend smokes--"very addictively"--
because, as Peat approximately puts it,
the smoking seems to offer the organism movement toward stability.
To try to cast that Peatian turn in a more familiar way,
I think my friend may be self-medicating.
So to return to my point:
I think it is possible to hypothesize that
the kinds of things that most people consider to be delicious
could be seen as "addictive"
in that Peatian sense that
those "delicious" foods entice us because they seem to offer some relief
from the oppressions caused by our typical, modern diets.
That is, our health and metabolism and hormones and feelings are so discombobulated,
that we are powerfully, addictively drawn to those very destructive foods which cause us to be so oppressed.
Maybe that relief is short term and inefficient and even destructive in the long term,
as in the case of my heavy-smoking and drinking friend.
But maybe the typically-considered delicious foods
as ordained on TV food shows or even in acclaimed cookbooks...
...maybe they are most "delicious" because they are most "addictive."

I hope this makes some sense. :oops: I need more coffee.

J

j.

bi111.jpg

Delicious food?

I mean, is that even food?

OP
N

narouz

j. said:
bi111.jpg

Delicious food?

I mean, is that even food?

Scoff if you will,
but many heartily think so:

Attachments

• bagel.jpg
    bagel.jpg
    8.4 KB · Views: 1,904
  • pizza.jpg
    pizza.jpg
    11.1 KB · Views: 1,902
J

j.

narouz, have you heard that one pizza place, don't remember which, has gluten-free pizza, and is made of potato and rice flour? i haven't tried potato flour, but i would imagine it's better from a peatian perspective, as potato is at least a food.

OP
N

narouz

j. said:
narouz, have you heard that one pizza place, don't remember which, has gluten-free pizza, and is made of potato and rice flour? i haven't tried potato flour, but i would imagine it's better from a peatian perspective, as potato is at least a food.

hmmm....
(the sound of smacking lips is heard)

J

j.

What ingredients are in Domino's Gluten Free Crust?
Water, Rice Flour, Rice Starch, Potato Starch, Olive Oil, Evaporated Cane Juice, Tapioca Flour, Potato Flour, Fresh Yeast, Avicel, Salt, Calcium Propionate.

Source

OP
N

narouz

j. said:
What ingredients are in Domino's Gluten Free Crust?
Water, Rice Flour, Rice Starch, Potato Starch, Olive Oil, Evaporated Cane Juice, Tapioca Flour, Potato Flour, Fresh Yeast, Avicel, Salt, Calcium Propionate.

Source

[member has left keyboard]

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
narouz said:
[member has left keyboard]

This has to be a record short post for narouz. Please take note, pizza, is the key! :rolling

Narouz if you do decide to partake, please report back results. :rockout

Ok, well this is sorta good to know. If you dont want to cook and maybe scarf down on some pizza there is actually a choice thats better then the wheat stained pizza. Nice!!! Thank you j!

Although, Dominoes was never high on my pizza list. Pizza Hut and Papa Johns were my "go to" back in the day.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Narouz has left the building. :lol:

Back
Top Bottom