What Is The Ray Peat's Evidence For Iron Being Necessary For Continued Growth?

"Since the fetus stores a large amount of iron during gestation, the iron content of milk is low, and when a young animal has used the stored iron, its continuing growth requires more iron than milk provides." > Milk in context: allergies, ecology, and some myths

Any substantiation / reference to, or explanation for, this sentence? If no literature reference exists to this, does it, then, mean that iron is necessary for growth by (hypothetically) allowing more tissue oxygen delivery? [This explanation would sort of contradict Ray Peat's view on iron as an oxygen regulator.] Or what? Thanks in advance.

By the way, I don't actually know whether this thread was posted in the right post site [any tip?].

Last edited:

jyb

According to common figures, weighting the iron in milk versus what is lost in a day, consuming milk only would result in iron loss. Perhaps the amount of iron stored a birth is the bare minimum required for early life and therefore milk is not enough to offset the depletion.

OP
Mr. God of Cars
But what is the metabolic / physiologic mechanism for iron in promoting continued growth? Does it enhance angiogenesis? Does it enhance blood oxygen flow to tissues? Or what?

BibleBeliever

But what is the metabolic / physiologic mechanism for iron in promoting continued growth? Does it enhance angiogenesis? Does it enhance blood oxygen flow to tissues? Or what?
This. I am curious too. I have never been able to find much on the role of iron here. Most are promoting it like a toxic metal such as lead, mercury, cadmium, arsenic, yet it is found in abundance in all the healthy foods.

Seems you don't need it after you're done growth and pufa and iron interact very negativity. Slows thyroid and the rest.

However I wonder what about bodybuilders, strongmen and other athletes. They are experiencing intense training and constant periods of growth; would more iron benefit them then, based on the original premise given?

lvysaur

Lactase persistence seems to correlate with high iron levels, at least within Europe.

The most milk-adapted groups have higher rates of hemochromatosis.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals