What Could Be The Next Mushrooms?

tankasnowgod

Olive oil? When very fresh just-made it is so tasty! And it is a good source of vitamine E and antioxydants. Olive oil is the only thing that i miss on Ray Peat's diet (i know he doesn't recommend it or only in small quantities) . It is a staple in Mediterranean diet and it seems not to be the worst way of eating. :muted:

Ray has spoken favorably of olive oil. I've even seen him recommend it as part of the carrot salad. The only real negative that he mentions is that it can be more fattening than the more saturated fats. It's better not to use it in cooking (butter or coconut oil is much better for that), but olive oil is a great for salads and such.

nikolabeacon

Wheat germ and nutritional yeast. I think they are pretty old news though :D
Maybe Peat knew about Szent Gyorgyi's interest in wheat germ?

"...the wheat keeps mankind alive.."..."I am using wheat germ 'búza csíra' - in Hungarian - I am sure the wheat... I am using that, and I am convinced that's why I am still active."

Inspired by this speech and going one step further i would say refined wheat(in particular macaroni and pasta) maybe possibly enriched with those materials from wheat germ he mentioned in video. :)

Last edited:

Mr.Tayto

I would advise against marijuana use...its seems to be all the rage now that Cannibis ok. Every now and again i think is ok but occasional use or more often i think is bad, it raises stress hormones. And smoking these new strains of weed with put you in Pysc ward if you smoke it regularly. im not a party pooper by the way i just saying from what ive experienced and seen.
Mushrooms were a relatively recent addition to the Ray Peat staple foods. Prior to Peat endorsing them, many may have assumed they weren't very "peaty." This thread is for speculation and ideas on the next foods/activities that, while currently aren't emphasized by most peatarians, could some day become common within the community.

Feel free to post anything that comes to mind (again, even if it sounds stupid). Don't be shy--the goal is to throw some things out there that you think could be undervalued. I'll start:

-Meditation: because of the stress reduction potential and because of the mind-body principle that most here seem to value.

-Naps: they get a bad rap by high-cortisol, highly-strung workoholic types. Makes me think they're likely healthy.

-Marijuana: as with starch, I'm guessing this could be compatible with a peaty lifestyle for individuals that handle it extremely well. You know who you are.

Elevated sleeping would be cool.

Nathan Hatch covers a handful of things that fit could well in a Peaty framework, first and foremost acetic acid and sodium acetate.

I think sprouted grains are possible. In FPC, there's a chapter on wheat, but I haven't read it yet. I eat the Ezekiel cereal occasionally.

Boron is seen as estrogenic by some, but Nathan Hatch made a good case for it the second edition of FPC. It's poised for a turn-around.

Spokey

I'm going to go wide on this one. Good quality crack. I know it seems unlikely, but if I just happen to be right I'm going to look like a genius.

LeeLemonoil

A start would be to acknowledge the existence and fundamental meaning of hormesis and the decline and change of physiology in all aspects with aging. Peat seems to sometimes propagate that interventions that would help people in their thirties would effect old folk the same way and so forth.

Substances: Iodine.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals