What Could Be The Next Mushrooms?

Discussion in 'Ray Peat Topics' started by Dessert_All_Day, May 15, 2017.

1. Such_Saturation

Such_Saturation Member

I am not too fond of these "trends" and always waiting for the next thing, partly because it implies that the previous one hasn't worked...

2. Ideonaut

Ideonaut Member

Ok, I'll buy that; personal experience works maybe better than scientific studies ("if it's true for you, it's true for you"--thnx.

3. Ideonaut

Ideonaut Member

Can you provide a reference for that claim?

4. tankasnowgod

tankasnowgod Member

Well, I'd say that's personal experience combined with a mechanism of action of K2, which is clearing arterial calcification.

5. TubZy

TubZy Member

There are plenty of studies that indicate morning wood and frequency of erections are associated with the pro metabolic steroids like DHT and overall health.

6. aliciahere

aliciahere Member

Sprouts. I wish there was more nutritional information about various types of sprouts. I have a suspicion that many sprouts are nutrient dense yet lack some of the natural pesticides, oxilates, etc, that older plants have.

7. ecstatichamster

ecstatichamster Member

Men with ED often do not have nocturnal erections.

And exogenous T to low T men increases nocturnal erections:
    Testosterone Replacement Therapy and Sleep-Related Erections in Hypogonadal Men | The Journal of Clinical Endocrinology & Metabolism | Oxford Academic
    Hypogonadal men usually have diminished libido and erectile dysfunction, and testosterone replacement therapy in these men increases sexual activity, erotic thoughts, and self-reported nocturnal erections. The polygraphlc assessment of nocturnal penile tumescence (NPT) provides an objective index of erectile capability and is useful for differentiating psychogenic from organic erectile dysfunction. In this study we evaluated NPT in six hypogonadal adult men during and after termination of androgen therapy. Multinight sleep studies were conducted within 1 week and 7–8 weeks after each man received 200 mg testosterone cypionate, im. The mean serum testosterone level 4–7 days after testosterone injection was 35.9 ± 3.4 (±SE) nmol/L, and it fell to 2.3 ± 0.9 nmol/L after 7–8 weeks. Significant declines (P < 0.05) in the number of NPT episodes (3.7 to 2.0), maximum penile circumference increase (24 to 13 mm), and total tumescence time (107 to 55 min) accompanied the fall in the serum testosterone level. No androgen-related changes in the amount or integrity of rapid eye movement sleep were found. Finally, the mean penile rigidity (buckling pressure) decreased from 770 ± 98 to 590 ± 81 g (P < 0.05). Comparison of these results to those in normal men revealed that none of these men met all diagnostic criteria for organic impotence, even 7–8 weeks after discontinuation of testosterone administration. While men with androgen deficiency may have normal NPT, sleep-related erections increase in response to testosterone administration.

8. encerent

encerent Member

Sprouted grains. Greek yogurt for people who can't handle milk or other dairy. Cooked blueberreies.

9. Diokine

Diokine Member

Wheat germ and nutritional yeast. I think they are pretty old news though :D

10. Constatine

Constatine Member

Thanks I really appreciate all you videos.

11. zztr

zztr Member

It'll be another "Here's this thing people have been cooking for a thousand years and it's fine if you do it right." Something like: Wow, daal is nutritionally fantastic and not toxic if you source and prepare it properly and pair it with the things people always ate it with.

On the subject of weight lifting, I used to do it a lot and be ten pounds more muscular than I am now. I think very, very few people need anything other than body weight. I use a high quality back pack with a bag of sand in it for training and it's fine. You need a pull up bar and that's really it in terms of equipment. Push-ups, pull-ups, pistol squats, and press-ups are all you really need. Jumping is good, too. If you outgrow your body weight, get a good backpack and throw a 30# sandbag in there.

12. DaveFoster

DaveFoster Member

Considering how much time Dr. Peat spends with the Herb Doctors, probably things like ginseng, ginger, various herbs, and other "'erbal medicines from Ga'be'ville."

13. miki14

miki14 Member

OK, I take credit for pushing the 'mushrooms are awesome' idea in forums a few years ago. Ray obviously jumped on the bandwagon ;)

So my prediction for Ray's next discovery is that raw vegetables like celery, fennel and brassicas are an essential tool in gut health due to their antibiotic action. Mark my words Peaties! :)

14. dfspcc20

dfspcc20 Member

I'm hoping for an essay on the merits of Samuel Talyor Coleridge or Lord Byron, rather than just hearing about William Blake. :grin

15. kayumochi

kayumochi Member

Enjoyment of food? How about gratitude for what you do have to eat? Can't say I have seen any of that amongst us :)

16. Barliman

Barliman Member

General Practitioner
    Fair enough up to a certain point, but enjoyment of your food is actually very important- for a start it gets the saliva flowing and helps digestion.

It also tells you a certain amount about what your body is wanting. I find it almost impossible to eat food I don't enjoy. Happily I have lost my taste for sweets and cakes and no longer enjoy them much.

17. Such_Saturation

Such_Saturation Member

18. LukeL

LukeL Member

What kind of magnesium and what dose do you take?

19. lvysaur

lvysaur Member

>mfw people on this forum actually didn't eat mushrooms before Peat said so

[sheep face]

20. Pompadour

Pompadour Member

Olive oil? When very fresh just-made it is so tasty! And it is a good source of vitamine E and antioxydants. Olive oil is the only thing that i miss on Ray Peat's diet (i know he doesn't recommend it or only in small quantities) . It is a staple in Mediterranean diet and it seems not to be the worst way of eating. :muted: