Soy has negative effect on breast cancer patients

haidut

Ray has written about the powerful estrogenic effects of soy, so this study does not surprise me but it is the first one I see that draws a conclusion that soy may be contra-indicated for breast cancer. So far all other soy studies claimed that it either prevented cancer or helped survival. A step in the right direction IMO.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/20 ... 183725.htm

"...Soy supplementation alters expression of genes associated with breast cancer, raising concerns that soy could have adverse effects in breast cancer, according to a new study."

jyb

I had the impression that t's commonly admitted that estrogen excess is a problem for breast cancer specifically, and of course soy is a source of phyto-estrogen which the soy food companies use this in their marketing (and there are old studies showing the estrogenic effects of soy products). So this should be merely some kind of confirmation that soy is not good for your breasts.

haidut

jyb said:
I had the impression that t's commonly admitted that estrogen excess is a problem for breast cancer specifically, and of course soy is a source of phyto-estrogen which the soy food companies use this in their marketing (and there are old studies showing the estrogenic effects of soy products). So this should be merely some kind of confirmation that soy is not good for your breasts.

There is actually a big campaign to get people to eat soy and there have been a number of high profile "studies" claiming that it safe for women, especially menopausal ones, since it relieves the hot flashes and other symptoms. Here is an example of the official position of "soy is safe". Just read the bolded intro language.

http://www.cancer.org/cancer/news/exper ... -risk.aspx

jyb

haidut said:
There is actually a big campaign to get people to eat soy and there have been a number of high profile "studies" claiming that it safe for women, especially menopausal ones, since it relieves the hot flashes and other symptoms. Here is an example of the official position of "soy is safe". Just read the bolded intro language.

http://www.cancer.org/cancer/news/exper ... -risk.aspx

The author acknowledges that in theory it could be a problem (estrogen), but claims 1) population studies (esp. Asia) show either no or negative association with cancer 2) it is a healthy source of protein (low in animal fat). Obviously, 2) is possibly the most ridiculous statement that can ever be made from a senior researcher.

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
Bodhi Satoshi Nakamoto admits he has aspergers and is low thyroid and against Soy .... Political Talk, Alternative World Theories 12
DANIEL Make Sure Your Eggs Are Soy-Free! Diet 16
G Is Soy Flour Problematic? Starches, Fiber, Legumes 3
M Normalize A Child's Estrogen After A Year On Soy Formula? Ask For Help or Advice 32
postman How Much Soy Lecithin Is Commonly Used In Chocolate? Sweets, Snacks 13
L Transfer Of Soy Isoflavone Into The Egg Yolk Of Chickens Dairy, Eggs 1
homyak Soy Isoflavones + Cayenne For Hair Loss Experiments 0
TheBeard Rugged Vs Soy Boy Male Issues 38
pauljacob Chicken Fed Soy Meal Increase Estrogen In The Body Animals 8
yerrag Trump Admin To Crack Down On Soy? Diet 2
L Thorne Research Vitamin K2 Derived From Soy? K 16
HealthisWealth What Symptoms You Get From Eating Soy, Wheat, Goitrogens? Symptoms, Causes 5
GutFeeling Casein, Zein And Gluten Reduces Cortex Tryptophan, Lactaalbumin, Soy Protein Increase It Scientific Studies 1
M Why Does Soy Reduce Estrogen Levels In Studies? Scientific Studies 17
alywest Somehow Soy Pufa Is Ok For Progest-E? Ask For Help or Advice 5
Mito FDA Moves To Revoke Soy Health Claim Articles & Scientific Studies 8
Elize Best Soy Free Progesterone To Use Metabolism 6
Max. Powered Milk And Soy Lethicin Ask For Help or Advice 4
PaulaV Progest E And Soy Female Issues 22
Let Go Subway's Soy Chicken Miscellaneous 2
C Phytoestrogens In Soy Vs. Estrogens In Milk Doubts About Milk 27
B Soy Isoflavones Have An Antiestrogenic Effect Scientific Studies 19
P Your Breasts Don’t Lie: Soy, Flax And Other Estrogenic Foods And Herbs Trigger Precancerous Breasts Thyroid and Hormones 17
T Raw milk ice cream or Organic IC without Soy Lecithin Milk 4
B Concerns about adverse effects [from soy] are not supported by the clinical or epidemiologic literat Articles & Scientific Studies 5
haidut Soy protein detrimental for muscles strength in older people Scientific Studies 4
haidut Another study shows GMO soy can cause serious health problems Scientific Studies 0
Amazoniac Experience With Fermented Soy Products Vegetables, Grains, Legumes, Fiber 11
Bluebell Bio-Identical Progesterone From Soy? Progesterone 3
haidut Tofu / Soy Is Toxic To The Brain Scientific Studies 5
haidut Dairy best for endotoxin protection; soy protein worst Scientific Studies 1
M Ack, Soy. Messtafarian 13
J Soy allergies and Vitamin Supplement Intolerance Supplements 0
J Soy Lecithin Free Chocolate Sweets, Snacks 33
P Why does everything have gums and soy Rant or Rave 8
J Soy Lecithin Articles & Scientific Studies 51
D Which Vitamin E Products Don't Contain Soy Oil? E 14
J Has anybody successfully lowered Rt3? Ask For Help or Advice 3
D I’m scheduled for a major surgery soon, and my family member has a cold. Need preventative remedies... Ask For Help or Advice 3
MyUsernameHere Dad has a tumor, potentially glioblastoma, advice appreciated Ask For Help or Advice 6
GorillaHead What is this skin condition my dad has? Skin 10
P Has anyone here tried testojack 300 by now foods? Male Issues 0
pauljacob Which has more PUFA: Yolk or White? Diet 15
C I feel as though I'm on the verge of passing out, I feel so depleted, my heart feels as though it has no energy to pump Health 57
fr@ Has anyone tried eating a "real" Thyroid Gland (from Beef most likely)? Experiments 6
C Cronometer has removed Coffee? Coffee 3
D Has anyone ordered Progest-E from Electrical Body? It’s been 4 days and they still haven’t shipped. Supplements, Pharmaceutical Drugs 2
F Has Peat discussed lead toxicity? Ask For Help or Advice 22
burtlancast Has orthomolecular.org and Andrew Saul sold out ? No article about Ivermectin and it's record vs Covid Miscellaneous Health Discussions 5
P Has anyone here used Nolvadex and Dhea together? Male Issues 1