Serotonin Depletion Amplifies Distinct Human Social Emotions As A Function Of Individual Differences

Mauritio

Serotonin depletion amplifies distinct human social emotions as a function of individual differences in personality

This study shows that depleting tryptophan, and thus serotonin, allows people more to show their own feelings and individual differences in character .

Or saying it reversed :
Serotonin causes zombified, emotionless creatures, that are all more or less the same . A government's wet dream .
No real desires ,no hobbies ,no passion.
Just working 9 to 5 like a machine to keep to system going...
This is actually pretty in line with what peat says and my own experience.
If I had to choose one stress hormone to not have in excess , it would be serotonin.
Estrogen makes you hyper emotional and crazy ,but at least you feel something.
Serotonin robs you of what makes you human, your emotions .
I've seen this many times in people taking SSRI's, it's like they're experiencing reality through a thick ,grey veil.

tankasnowgod

Serotonin depletion amplifies distinct human social emotions as a function of individual differences in personality

This study shows that depleting tryptophan, and thus serotonin, allows people more to show their own feelings and individual differences in character .

Or saying it reversed :
Serotonin causes zombified, emotionless creatures, that are all more or less the same . A government's wet dream .
No real desires ,no hobbies ,no passion.
Just working 9 to 5 like a machine to keep to system going...
This is actually pretty in line with what peat says and my own experience.
If I had to choose one stress hormone to not have in excess , it would be serotonin.
Estrogen makes you hyper emotional and crazy ,but at least you feel something.
Serotonin robs you of what makes you human, your emotions .
I've seen this many times in people taking SSRI's, it's like they're experiencing reality through a thick ,grey veil.

The methods were interesting....

"Studies of healthy volunteers have primarily employed two techniques to investigate serotonin function: acute tryptophan depletion (ATD), a dietary technique that temporarily lowers brain serotonin levels by depleting its biosynthetic precursor, tryptophan (Bel & Artigas 1996; Biggio et al. 1974; Crockett et al. 2012a; Hood et al. 2005; Nishizawa et al. 1997), and treatment with single doses of selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SSRIs). SSRIs are generally assumed to increase extracellular serotonin, however it should be noted that single rather than chronic doses can paradoxically decrease serotonin in projection areas (Cools et al. 2008; Nord et al. 2013). ATD studies have revealed disinhibition of retaliatory behaviour in the face of perceived injustice (Crockett et al. 2008), modelled using the Ultimatum Game (UG) which is defined in Figure 1, whilst single dose SSRI has had pro-social effects (Crockett et al. 2010a)."

Ah the old SSRI "paradox." The single dose thing is interesting, however.

Still SSRI's are dangerous and unecessary.

How did they do the "Acute Tryptophan Depletion?"

" Acute tryptophan depletion (ATD) is a widely used dietary manipulation, which results in a rapid decrease in the synthesis and release of serotonin (Bel & Artigas, 1996; Biggio et al., 1974; Crockett et al., 2012a). Participants were randomly assigned to receive either ATD or a placebo condition, in a double-blind, between-groups design. The depletion group received a drink that contained a balance of all the essential amino acids except for tryptophan. The placebo group received the same drink only it included tryptophan."

Leave it to the Ray Peat Forum (and especially @haidut) to replicate the design of this study years before it was even published-

Amino Acid Supplementation For People With Poor Digestion

(that one also eliminates methionine, for extra benefits)

Depleting Serotonin With BCAA

"So, the attached study recently came out and it confirmed that one can reduce serotonin BUT keep dopamine intact (maybe even increase it a little) by ingesting a BCAA combo in the dosage 19mg/kg:12mg/kg:12mg/kg (leucine:isoleucine:valine) AND adding tyrosine at the dosage of 14mg/kg. To me this amounts to about taking 3500mg of BCAA and 1500mg tyrosine.
I am using the BCAA products from Ajinomoto since they are the only vendor claiming that the product is of pharmaceutical quality, and I have found that I don't get stomach irritation from their products.
My results so far are very positive. I get very calm and sleepy after taking the above combo. In fact it makes me feel almost exactly like taking cyproheptadine.
Speaking of the cyproheptadine, I thought that I can amplify the effects by doing cypro and BCAA combo together. So I took 2mg cypro and the BCAA+tyrosine combo together. Even more potent effect! My temperature rose to about 38 degrees Celsius, which is considered fever levels. I managed to get even more potent effects by doing cypro + (BCAA+tyrosine) + goat milk protein + gelatin. Both goat milk protein and gelatin have no tryptophan (actually goat milk protein has very very little) and contribute to the tryptophan depletion effect. I would not recommend the last option to anybody unless they have way too much serotonin that they want to get rid of. To me, this resulted in a heartbeat of over 100 BPM, temperature of 39 Celsius, and absolute inability to sleep. I felt like I had ingested some sort of supercharged gasoline and I kept turning and tossing all night while being madly thirsty no matter how much water I drink."

So, there you have it. Use Haidut's Modified MAP, or BCAA with tyrosine/phenylanline, or the BCAA combo with cypro, and/or BCAA combo with geltatin, goat milk protein, and cypro as several options to replicate the study.