Riboflavin Overview Mitochondrial Health

LeeLemonoil

Very good article about B2s role in manym mito-related diseases

Riboflavin Responsive Mitochondrial Dysfunction in Neurodegenerative Diseases

Riboflavin Responsive Mitochondrial Dysfunction in Neurodegenerative Diseases

Mitochondria are the repository for various metabolites involved in diverse energy-generating processes, like the TCA cycle, oxidative phosphorylation, and metabolism of amino acids, fatty acids, and nucleotides, which rely significantly on flavoenzymes, such as oxidases, reductases, and dehydrogenases. Flavoenzymes are functionally dependent on biologically active flavin adenine dinucleotide (FAD) or flavin mononucleotide (FMN), which are derived from the dietary component riboflavin, a water soluble vitamin. Riboflavin regulates the structure and function of flavoenzymes through its cofactors FMN and FAD and, thus, protects the cells from oxidative stress and apoptosis. Hence, it is not surprising that any disturbance in riboflavin metabolism and absorption of this vitamin may have consequences on cellular FAD and FMN levels, resulting in mitochondrial dysfunction by reduced energy levels, leading to riboflavin associated disorders, like cataracts, neurodegenerative and cardiovascular diseases, etc. Furthermore, mutations in either nuclear or mitochondrial DNA encoding for flavoenzymes and flavin transporters significantly contribute to the development of various neurological disorders. Moreover, recent studies have evidenced that riboflavin supplementation remarkably improved the clinical symptoms, as well as the biochemical abnormalities, in patients with neuronopathies, like Brown-Vialetto-Van-Laere syndrome (BVVLS) and Fazio-Londe disease. This review presents an updated outlook on the cellular and molecular mechanisms of neurodegenerative disorders in which riboflavin deficiency leads to dysfunction in mitochondrial energy metabolism, and also highlights the significance of riboflavin supplementation in aforementioned disease conditions. Thus, the outcome of this critical assessment may exemplify a new avenue to enhance the understanding of possible mechanisms in the progression of neurodegenerative diseases and may provide new rational approaches of disease surveillance and treatment.

ddjd

Completely healed my peripheral neuropathy but I did use the r5p form

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin

GAF

Thanks for finding this article. My personal Riboflavin experience is scattered in threads around RPF. Search my posts to find my experience.

Nothing has been more powerful for me than high doses over a long period beginning July 2017. The effects were immediate.

Riboflavin supplementation is cheap and harmless and, if you have a real deficiency, you can learn right away if it helps. All you have to do is take 400mg for a few days, and then engage in strenuous and long work like moving to a new home or apt or spending 6 hours cleaning your garage. If you don't notice a dramatic difference in how you are able to handle the activity, you do not have an issue.

The point is, try it, if the high dosages help, great. If it doesn't move along. The dosages in your diet are sufficient.

Anyone with loose joints or other collagen issues should take it. Anyone with early cataract issues should take it. Anyone over 60 or 70 or 80 should take it.

See the recent thread about the Coimbra protocol. I highlighted the B2 section in a post. Very interesting.

I like to take it alone, not as part of B complex. I use Bio Tech Pharmacal 400mg from Amazon. It's fun to pee and poop yellow.

Jing

Thanks for finding this article. My personal Riboflavin experience is scattered in threads around RPF. Search my posts to find my experience.

Nothing has been more powerful for me than high doses over a long period beginning July 2017. The effects were immediate.

Riboflavin supplementation is cheap and harmless and, if you have a real deficiency, you can learn right away if it helps. All you have to do is take 400mg for a few days, and then engage in strenuous and long work like moving to a new home or apt or spending 6 hours cleaning your garage. If you don't notice a dramatic difference in how you are able to handle the activity, you do not have an issue.

The point is, try it, if the high dosages help, great. If it doesn't move along. The dosages in your diet are sufficient.

Anyone with loose joints or other collagen issues should take it. Anyone with early cataract issues should take it. Anyone over 60 or 70 or 80 should take it.

See the recent thread about the Coimbra protocol. I highlighted the B2 section in a post. Very interesting.

I like to take it alone, not as part of B complex. I use Bio Tech Pharmacal 400mg from Amazon. It's fun to pee and poop yellow.
Do you think it matters if you spread the dose out or just the 400mg at once?

moa

methylfolate will also work.

my nerve issues was caused by depleting my choline too much on ray peat diet.....
yes, me too i cake to this conclusion that i had low acetylcholine or choline because of Ray peat diet. i took zinc, choline.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals