Reversal Of Cognitive Decline: A Novel Therapeutic Program

tankasnowgod

Interesting way to improve cognitive decline through diet ( it's lower carb as i understand, though there are not so many details about diets), excersise, meditation and some MCT oil, D3 and K2 vitamins.
Reversal of cognitive decline: A novel therapeutic program

Summary of the method is here in the table: Reversal of cognitive decline: A novel therapeutic program

Overall, it looks like a pretty good program, though there are a few things I think would be negative (resveratrol, the DHA/EPA recommendations and such).

The thing I just can't get over with this particular intervention (and so many like it) is ignoring the role of iron. Excess iron is well known to interfere with carbohydrate metabolism, and also for it's role in cognitive decline, is so cheap and easy to test for, and very easy to treat in most people (simple blood donation), and yet it doesn't even get mentioned. Crazy, especially when they think to test for mercury, lead and cadmium.

tankasnowgod

They mention "low inflammatory" diet and two of the described patients reduced meat consumption... So maybe they took into account iron as "pro-inflammatory" in this low inflammatory pattern.

Well, by reducing meat and grains, they will be reducing dietary iron. Looks like the study was done in the US, and (unfortunately), most rice and bread is "fortified" with iron (although it is possible to find rice and bread in the US that hasn't been fortified). I would think they would have mentioned an iron marker like TSAT or ferritin if they had taken it into consideration.

AJC

Overall, it looks like a pretty good program, though there are a few things I think would be negative (resveratrol, the DHA/EPA recommendations and such).

The thing I just can't get over with this particular intervention (and so many like it) is ignoring the role of iron. Excess iron is well known to interfere with carbohydrate metabolism, and also for it's role in cognitive decline, is so cheap and easy to test for, and very easy to treat in most people (simple blood donation), and yet it doesn't even get mentioned. Crazy, especially when they think to test for mercury, lead and cadmium.

Can blood-letting get rid of excess iron in the tissues though?

tankasnowgod

Can blood-letting get rid of excess iron in the tissues though?

It is the go to treatment for iron overload, and generally, I believe the answer is yes, though I'm sure it depends on a number of factors. Hemochormatosis was first described as "Bronze Diabetes" because the skin would start looking more bronze as iron accumulated. The skin will often return to normal appearance after several phlebotomies, although not always. Iron gets mobilized so the body can make more hemoglobin.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals