Quit cannabis, now have perioral dermatitis

honey

Any insight to developing perioral dermatitis after stopping weed? It completely goes away if I have a joint and then returns a few days later. I used to be a daily user since mid-2020 (stress related reasons for starting) and stopped Sept '23 because it was interfering with the progesterone I supplement which helps eliminate the extremely painful cramps I get monthly since I got my first period at 11. I can provide more info if needed. This seems to be a common issue though (developing rashes after cessation of cannabis), according to reddit if that means anything.

Nick

Any insight to developing perioral dermatitis after stopping weed? It completely goes away if I have a joint and then returns a few days later. I used to be a daily user since mid-2020 (stress related reasons for starting) and stopped Sept '23 because it was interfering with the progesterone I supplement which helps eliminate the extremely painful cramps I get monthly since I got my first period at 11. I can provide more info if needed. This seems to be a common issue though (developing rashes after cessation of cannabis), according to reddit if that means anything.
Cannabis could chronically suppressing bile secretion from the liver and stopping it caused the bile to begin flowing again but some is getting into the blood and causing the skin irritation. This would be the toxic bile theory explanation, where many things that stop symptoms are damming up the liver and then cholestasis (bile leakage into blood) is worse when the bile blocking substance is discontinued.

OP
H

honey

Cannabis could chronically suppressing bile secretion from the liver and stopping it caused the bile to begin flowing again but some is getting into the blood and causing the skin irritation. This would be the toxic bile theory explanation, where many things that stop symptoms are damming up the liver and then cholestasis (bile leakage into blood) is worse when the bile blocking substance is discontinued.
Any way to deal with it? I read that soluble fiber might help, oatmeal and beans?

OP
H

honey

@Nick I think you are right about the bile causing skin irritation. My fiber intake has been pretty low so the bile probably has been just recirculating as opposed to binding to the fiber and being taken out of the body. I looked at my cronometer and I've consistently only gotten around 12g of fiber a day when I should be closer to 25g. I thought the fruit and veggies I was eating were enough, but I guess not.
As an experiment, I started adding oatmeal to my breakfast this past week and the perioral dermatisis especially around my eye has significantly cleared up to the point where it is almost gone. My skin is still terribly dry and flakey in the T-zone but normal on my cheeks so still have to figure that out, I think it's intestinal-related as no topical solutions, or lack of, have worked.

OP
H

honey

This might also explain my estrogen dominance.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Might be because weed shoves vitamin A into the liver, when you stop smoking it and if you have cholestasis the vitamin A will leak out into the blood and start oozing out your skin as retinoic acid which causes the "dermatitis" burn.

Nick

Any way to deal with it? I read that soluble fiber might help, oatmeal and beans?
Yeah it seems like those are some of the soluble fibers for bile binding if they agree with you. Banana is pretty good too. Careful zinc and selenium supplementation might also help with the leakiness that lets the bile into the blood.
Might be because weed shoves vitamin A into the liver, when you stop smoking it and if you have cholestasis the vitamin A will leak out into the blood and start oozing out your skin as retinoic acid which causes the "dermatitis" burn.
Exactly.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals