Obesity And COVID 19 Increased Risk Of Adverse Outcomes

Drareg

Most of the deaths from covid19 outside vulnerable groups were obese patients.

This study is pretty damning, it seems this politically correct body positive PR campaign needs to stop, I’m not saying we need to shame people but we sure don’t need to glorify obesity.

If governments genuinely cared about the people they would begin a more intense campaign to highlight the risk of obesity in general and more specifically the increased risk to COVID19 , obesity is not just a personal problem, they are more likely to be super spreaders of covid19 and viruses in general. It implies it would be safer to quarantine obese folks rather than wear masks.
Can you imagine the PC fallout from highlighting this fact in these times!

On top of the obvious breathing problems from the weight of excess fat I’m sure PUFA is involved ,understandably any fat in excess will suppress metabolism but I would guess the more PUFA the more likely of death compared to saturated fat, it could possibly the opposite if we account for the temporary side effect of PUFA lowering inflammation.

"Background and aim
The pandemic of COVID-19 has put forward the public health system across countries to prepare themselves for the unprecedented outbreak of the present time. Recognition of the associated risks of morbidity and mortality becomes not only imperative but also fundamental to determine the prevention strategies as well as targeting the high-risk populations for appropriate therapies.

Methods
We reviewed, collated and analysed the online database i.e. Pubmed, Google scholar, Researchgate to highlight the demographic and mechanistic link between obesity and associated risks of severity in COVID-19.

Results
We observed a changing dynamic in the reporting from the time of initial pandemic in China to currently reported research. While, initially body mass index (BMI) did not find a mention in the data, it is now clearly emerging that obesity is one of the profound risk factors for complications of COVID-19.

Conclusion
Our review will help clinicians and health policy makers in considering the importance of obesity in making the prevention and therapeutic strategies of COVID-19. An extra attention and precaution for patients with obesity in COVID-19 pandemic is recommended".

SARS-CoV-2-host dynamics: Increased risk of adverse outcomes of COVID-19 in obesity

Giraffe

Put on a face mask! You are endangering my health.

mask.GIF

Giraffe

Sorry for being sarcastic.

But seriously ... @Drareg, what makes you think that obese people are super spreaders?

OP
Drareg

Drareg

Sorry for being sarcastic.

But seriously ... @Drareg, what makes you think that obese people are super spreaders?

I think it’s a possibility because their system in general is under stress, metabolism is lower.

Excess Weight Can Weaken The Flu Shot

Are you aware of this ongoing in Germany -
Is there a more relevant thread for these videos?

They speak about the flu vaccine increasing susceptibility to covid19, I’m thinking this will be shown to be factual because when you google it snopes the fake fact checkers is forced to the top of your searches, snopes is basically the establishments propaganda outlet.

Giraffe

Are you aware of this ongoing in Germany -
Yes. Critical thinking people had long demanded a representative study because they thought the political decisions were not based on sound facts. Later people started to demand an investigation committee. When nothing happened lawyers and physicians set up a foundation and started extra-parliamentary investigations into this corona crisis.

Cool, that they translated the video into English.

Is there a more relevant thread for these videos?
I don't think so. It's worth a new thread.

They speak about the flu vaccine increasing susceptibility to covid19, I’m thinking this will be shown to be factual because when you google it snopes the fake fact checkers is forced to the top of your searches, snopes is basically the establishments propaganda outlet.
There was an interview with an Italian lady, Loretta Bolgan, who had a lot of vaccines analyzed in a lab (vaccines that are mandatory in Italy) . They found them contaminated with illegal amphetamines and all sorts of human and animal DNA, bacteria and and and. It was creepy. They have reported it to the police, but nothing has happened yet. -- The influenza vaccine has not been checked if I recall right.

People in Lombardy also have been vaccinated with meningococcal vaccine in Dezember and January. It was mandatory. (my other post)

Perry Staltic

obesity is not just a personal problem, they are more likely to be super spreaders of covid19 and viruses in general

Good call. There is now research to support your prescient hunch.

A recent study from the U.S. National Academy of Sciences has found an incredible separation between healthy participants and obese individuals when it comes to the potential threat of spreading COVID-19.

The study concludes:

“We observed that 18% of human subjects accounted for 80% of the exhaled bioaerosol of the group (194), reflecting a superspreader distribution of bioaerosol analogous to a classical 20:80 superspreader of infection distribution.”

In other words, 20% of people are responsible for 80% of the viral load. This could mean that obese people are over sixteen times more likely to spread the virus than metabolically healthy individuals.

I don’t think this is true. Other studies show obese people have better health outcomes with so called Covid

CDC study: 78% of patients who were hospitalized, put on ventilator or died were obese.
Obese people out survive others.

Coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) is a declared global pandemic with multiple risk factors. Based on recent empirical studies, obesity is considered by several researchers as one of the serious risk factors for coronavirus-related complications. Yet, other scholars argue in favor of the existence of an obesity survival paradox. The objective of the current study is to analyze the potential relationships between different corona indicators and obesity on a statewide level. Since the United States is ranked as one of the OECD countries with a high level of overweight and obesity among its citizens—the majority of US states exceed the 30% benchmark of obese population—it is an especially interesting case study to explore this issue. In an attempt to estimate projected probabilities for infection by coronavirus and mortality rates as a function of obesity prevalence, the fractional logit regression is employed. Findings may support the counter-intuitive possibility of an obesity survival paradox. Consequently, ethical guidelines referring to priority in intubation and intensive care treatments should account for these complex relationships between obesity and corona. Both projected rates of infection and mortality drop with elevated prevalence of obesity. The reasons for these findings might be explained by several conditions such as elevated social distancing from more obese persons, increased metabolic reserves, more aggressive treatment, and unidentified factors that should be examined in future research.

Perry Staltic

Obese people out survive others.

Coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) is a declared global pandemic with multiple risk factors. Based on recent empirical studies, obesity is considered by several researchers as one of the serious risk factors for coronavirus-related complications. Yet, other scholars argue in favor of the existence of an obesity survival paradox. The objective of the current study is to analyze the potential relationships between different corona indicators and obesity on a statewide level. Since the United States is ranked as one of the OECD countries with a high level of overweight and obesity among its citizens—the majority of US states exceed the 30% benchmark of obese population—it is an especially interesting case study to explore this issue. In an attempt to estimate projected probabilities for infection by coronavirus and mortality rates as a function of obesity prevalence, the fractional logit regression is employed. Findings may support the counter-intuitive possibility of an obesity survival paradox. Consequently, ethical guidelines referring to priority in intubation and intensive care treatments should account for these complex relationships between obesity and corona. Both projected rates of infection and mortality drop with elevated prevalence of obesity. The reasons for these findings might be explained by several conditions such as elevated social distancing from more obese persons, increased metabolic reserves, more aggressive treatment, and unidentified factors that should be examined in future research.

That study is an example of really crappy science. Not all obese people have the same health, but they proportionally have worse health compared to non-obese people, which appears to be the crucial factor in covid severity progression. That study does not take that into account.

That study is an example of really crappy science. Not all obese people have the same health, but they proportionally have worse health compared to non-obese people, which appears to be the crucial factor in covid severity progression. That study does not take that into account.

it simply raises questions about the narrative that obese people are sicker and die more than thin people from Covid.

no increase in morbidity or mortality for obese people. I’m fairly sure that other studies show favorable outcomes for obese in Covid land.

Perry Staltic

no increase in morbidity or mortality for obese people. I’m fairly sure that other studies show favorable outcomes for obese in Covid land.

That study is based on AI modeling. The data from Italy show a very high correlation of mortality with hypertension and diabetes; but this study didn't. Garbage IMO.

Giraffe

Good call. There is now research to support your prescient hunch.

The German pathologist Prof. Püschel has examined several hundred people who died of/with covid. His findings confirm that obesity is a factor. He said only 1% was younger than 50, and those have been very ill: cancer or morbidly obese.

It's not difficult to imagine that in very obese people the lungs can't expand the way as the lungs do in people who's belly doesn't get in the way, and that makes them vulnerable for infections (see Yandell Henderson's work). Already in normal life their hearts are working hard and they are almost panting, so with an respiratory illness there is not much capacity to increase the workload.

Having said that, I think that the conclusion of that study you linked -- "exhaled respiratory droplet number is increasing with [...] elevated BMI-years" -- is incorrect. I directly looked for a picture. (I haven't read the whole study.) Picture 2 shows exhaled particles as a function of BMI x years. What I see in the picture is that low spreaders come in all sizes, and the BMI-years of super spreaders are all over the place. I think, if they had drawn the line between low spreader and super spreader a little different, they wouldn't have found a correlation at all.

1617379091479.png

Perry Staltic

It's not difficult to imagine that in very obese people the lungs can't expand the way as the lungs do in people who's belly doesn't get in the way, and that makes them vulnerable for infections (see Yandell Henderson's work). Already in normal life their hearts are working hard and they are almost panting, so with an respiratory illness there is not much capacity to increase the workload.

Plus obese people typically have lower blood oxygen saturation levels, normally apart from covid. They don't do well on ventilators either.

Perry Staltic

Having said that, I think that the conclusion of that study you linked -- "exhaled respiratory droplet number is increasing with [...] elevated BMI-years" -- is incorrect. I directly looked for a picture. (I haven't read the whole study.) Picture 2 shows exhaled particles as a function of BMI x years. What I see in the picture is that low spreaders come in all sizes, and the BMI-years of super spreaders are all over the place. I think, if they had drawn the line between low spreader and super spreader a little different, they wouldn't have found a correlation at all.

View attachment 22478

I wish they had used BMI instead of BMI-years. That would show a better correlation with just obesity, if one exits. I know one of the towns in that study and you don't see a lot of really obese people there, but do see a lot of older people.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals