New Study: Vitamin D causes melanoma

ysdj

Circulating vitamin D concentration and risk of 14 cancers: a bidirectional Mendelian randomization study​

...The MR analysis showed no causal relationship between circulating vitamin D concentrations and most types of cancer, except for a causal relationship with melanoma skin cancer (MSC) (odds ratio [OR]IVW = 1.003, 95% confidence intervals [CI] 1.001–1.005, P = 0.004).
...Our findings provide support for a causal relationship between circulating vitamin D concentration and risk of MSC.

Circulating vitamin D concentration and risk of 14 cancers: a bidirectional Mendelian randomization study - Journal of Cancer Research and Clinical Oncology

Causal association between serum 25-Hydroxyvitamin D levels and cutaneous melanoma: a two-sample Mendelian randomization study​

...The MR analysis provided substantial evidence of a positive causal relationship between serum 25-Hydroxyvitamin D levels and the incidence of cutaneous melanoma, suggesting that each unit increase in serum 25-Hydroxyvitamin D levels corresponds with an increased risk of melanoma.
...The findings indicated a potentially causal positive association between serum 25-Hydroxyvitamin D levels and melanoma risk, challenging traditional beliefs about vitamin D’s role in melanoma.

Causal association between serum 25-Hydroxyvitamin D levels and cutaneous melanoma: a two-sample Mendelian randomization study

mosaic01

Read: Sun makes PUFA-saturated and iron-toxic people develop melanoma while also increasing the storage form of vitamin D as a side effect of sun exposure.

OP
Y

ysdj

Read: Sun makes PUFA-saturated and iron-toxic people develop melanoma while also increasing the storage form of vitamin D as a side effect of sun exposure.
This is a Mendelian randomization study, eliminating the confounding factor of sunlight.

GTW

Lies, damn lies, statistics.
"Potentially causal"
"Relatively small association"
Assuming a linear relationship. (I was suspicious of this already, since it implies that increase in vitamin D even at deficiency level promotes melanoma.)
>Additionally, our study did not account for individual-level confounders, nor did it explore potential non-linear relationships between serum 25-Hydroxyvitamin D levels and melanoma risk. The study also overlooked the modulatory roles of factors like age, sex, and environmental UV exposure, given its reliance on summarized population-level data. Moreover, our analysis assumes a linear relationship between exposure and outcome, which may oversimplify the biological reality.

Sitaruîm

Circulating vitamin D concentration and risk of 14 cancers: a bidirectional Mendelian randomization study​

...The MR analysis showed no causal relationship between circulating vitamin D concentrations and most types of cancer, except for a causal relationship with melanoma skin cancer (MSC) (odds ratio [OR]IVW = 1.003, 95% confidence intervals [CI] 1.001–1.005, P = 0.004).
...Our findings provide support for a causal relationship between circulating vitamin D concentration and risk of MSC.

Circulating vitamin D concentration and risk of 14 cancers: a bidirectional Mendelian randomization study - Journal of Cancer Research and Clinical Oncology

Causal association between serum 25-Hydroxyvitamin D levels and cutaneous melanoma: a two-sample Mendelian randomization study​

...The MR analysis provided substantial evidence of a positive causal relationship between serum 25-Hydroxyvitamin D levels and the incidence of cutaneous melanoma, suggesting that each unit increase in serum 25-Hydroxyvitamin D levels corresponds with an increased risk of melanoma.
...The findings indicated a potentially causal positive association between serum 25-Hydroxyvitamin D levels and melanoma risk, challenging traditional beliefs about vitamin D’s role in melanoma.

Causal association between serum 25-Hydroxyvitamin D levels and cutaneous melanoma: a two-sample Mendelian randomization study
These odd ratios are essentially 1. This study proves, essentially, that vitamin D does not increase the risk of cancer.

OP
Y

ysdj

Can you elaborate on why Mendelian randomization eliminates environmental confounders like sunlight?
MR is a genetics study showing that genetically determined high vitamin D is causally linked to increased risk of melanoma, apparently independent of sunlight

Snicky

Interesting. My boss just had her first patch of melanoma removed from her back. She works in an office, and lives in a dark upper floor apartment with no terrace, is definitely not a sunbather but does like the Mediterranean landscape we live in.

She also has terrible teeth and joints, both of which are always getting surgical interventions.

I don’t know why, but I suspect she has a lot of endotoxin issues…

I thought the melanoma might be related to the 💉💉💉

TheSir

I believe it. Vitamin D is the most shilled supplement. It's too popular to be beneficial. In a society of lies, popularity is the hallmark of harmfulness.

lamassu

MR is a genetics study showing that genetically determined high vitamin D is causally linked to increased risk of melanoma, apparently independent of sunlight
Thank you. I guess then my question is how to determine that the variation in vitamin D levels are genetically determined? How does the vitamin D level vary by allele? Is it a good correlation? Genuine question here so if you have anything I could read on this subject I'd be grateful.

OP
Y

ysdj

You can calculate the effects of different genes on vitamin D concentrations from large biological databases such as UK Biobank

Genome-wide Association Study for Vitamin D Levels Reveals 69 Independent Loci

Thank you. I guess then my question is how to determine that the variation in vitamin D levels are genetically determined? How does the vitamin D level vary by allele? Is it a good correlation? Genuine question here so if you have anything I could read on this subject I'd be grateful.

GTW

>Mg is essential in the metabolism of vitamin D, and taking large doses of vitamin D can induce severe depletion of Mg. Adequate magnesium supplementation should be considered as an important aspect of vitamin D therapy.

LLight

I haven't fully understood MR methodology but apparently there are some necessary hypotheses that should be verified for MR to work and it's not always the case.

GTW

Given the authors' own disclaimers it's not worth discussing the relevance to you, me, or any other individual person.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals