Cutaneous Malignant Melanoma Incidences Analyzed Worldwide UVB, Vitamin D

raypeatclips

Some of you Ray Peat newsletter subscribers might recognise this study he posted in his recent newsletter, and I thought it would be worth posting here. If you haven't already signed up for Ray's newsletter, and enjoy his work, I would strongly recommend it, each one is fascinating.

Dermatoendocrinol. 2017; 9(1): e1267077.
Published online 2016 Dec 14. doi: 10.1080/19381980.2016.1267077
PMCID: PMC5400110
PMID: 28924456
Cutaneous malignant melanoma incidences analyzed worldwide by sex, age, and skin type over personal Ultraviolet-B dose shows no role for sunburn but implies one for Vitamin D3
Dianne E. Godar, Ph.D.,a Madhan Subramanian,b and Stephen J. Merrillc

"Because the incidence of cutaneous malignant melanoma (CMM) was reported to increase with increasing terrestrial UVR (290–400 nm) doses in the US back in 1975 and a recent publication showed no association exists with UVR exposure at all, we set out to fully elucidate the role of UVR in CMM. To achieve this goal, we analyzed the CMM incidences over latitude and estimated the average personal UVR dose in the US and numerous countries (> 50) on 5 continents around the world. Using data from the International Agency for Research on Cancer in 2005, we performed worldwide analysis of CMM over UVR dose by sex, age group (0–14, 15–29, 30–49, 50–69, 70–85+) and Fitzpatrick skin types I-VI. Surprisingly, increasing UVR doses, which represent erythemally-weighted doses comprised primarily of UVB (290–315 nm) radiation, did not significantly correlate with increasing CMM incidence for people with any skin type anywhere in the world. Paradoxically, we found significant correlations between increasing CMM and decreasing UVB dose in Europeans with skin types I-IV. Both Europeans and Americans in some age groups have significant increasing CMM incidences with decreasing UVB dose, which shows UVB is not the main driver in CMM and suggests a possible role for lower cutaneous vitamin D3 levels and UVA (315–400 nm) radiation. CMM may be initiated or promoted by UVA radiation because people are exposed to it indoors through windows and outdoors through some sunscreen formulations. Thus, our findings may explain why some broad-spectrum sunscreen formulations do not protect against getting CMM."

"HPV may explain the exponential increase in CMM over recent decades because it has also been increasing at an exponential rate3 while vitamin D levels have decreased over the last 5 decades, as reflected by the almost 10-fold increase in the inversely related parathyroid hormone levels.4 Vitamin D is important for a variety of reasons in reducing the risk for getting CMM but one of the most essential is for T cell activation in order to kill virally infected and cancerous cells.5 Low cutaneous vitamin D3 levels can occur from intermittent sun exposures and people's perception of having a tendency to burn"

Jon

Good stuff my man, low level tanning bed for the win:smug

James ardagna

melanomas also tend to be non site specific, often occurring in areas that aren't exposed to the sun.