Lipid Bilayer Is Not Necessary To Make Anesthetics Work

Clinical concentrations of chemically diverse general anesthetics minimally affect lipid bilayer properties

In the study, published March 6 in the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, researchers demonstrated that general anesthetics at clinically relevant concentrations do not affect the properties of the part of cellular membranes composed of fat, called the lipid bilayer, contrary to previous ideas. Their discovery strongly supports a modern hypothesis that anesthesia interacts directly with membrane proteins – rather than indirectly through the membrane itself – to inhibit the electrical communications between neurons, triggering unconsciousness.

"We have debunked a century-old hypothesis and finally have proof that these anesthetics must have a direct effect on integral membrane proteins – and not an indirect effect on proteins through the lipid bilayer – to put patients in a coma-like state, allowing them to undergo painful procedures with no memory or pain," said co-senior author Dr. Hugh Hemmings, chair of the Department of Anesthesiology at Weill Cornell Medicine.

Since the first successful use of ether to induce unconsciousness for surgery in 1846, scientists have simultaneously hailed general anesthesia as one of the most important advances in medicine while also striving to understand how it exerts its desired clinical effects. Two 19th-century pharmacologists hypothesized that anesthetic potency correlates with drug solubility in fats; experiments in which they dissolved anesthetic agents into olive oil confirmed their suspicions. Their findings produced the prevailing scientific explanation for anesthesia that held sway for a century: General anesthetics work by altering lipid bilayer properties and disrupting neuronal function, leading to unconsciousness. By the 1970s, some investigators began challenging that dogma, suggesting that proteins are in fact anesthetics' targets, and a vigorous controversy ensued.

haidut

Forum Supporter
Clinical concentrations of chemically diverse general anesthetics minimally affect lipid bilayer properties

In the study, published March 6 in the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, researchers demonstrated that general anesthetics at clinically relevant concentrations do not affect the properties of the part of cellular membranes composed of fat, called the lipid bilayer, contrary to previous ideas. Their discovery strongly supports a modern hypothesis that anesthesia interacts directly with membrane proteins – rather than indirectly through the membrane itself – to inhibit the electrical communications between neurons, triggering unconsciousness.

"We have debunked a century-old hypothesis and finally have proof that these anesthetics must have a direct effect on integral membrane proteins – and not an indirect effect on proteins through the lipid bilayer – to put patients in a coma-like state, allowing them to undergo painful procedures with no memory or pain," said co-senior author Dr. Hugh Hemmings, chair of the Department of Anesthesiology at Weill Cornell Medicine.

Since the first successful use of ether to induce unconsciousness for surgery in 1846, scientists have simultaneously hailed general anesthesia as one of the most important advances in medicine while also striving to understand how it exerts its desired clinical effects. Two 19th-century pharmacologists hypothesized that anesthetic potency correlates with drug solubility in fats; experiments in which they dissolved anesthetic agents into olive oil confirmed their suspicions. Their findings produced the prevailing scientific explanation for anesthesia that held sway for a century: General anesthetics work by altering lipid bilayer properties and disrupting neuronal function, leading to unconsciousness. By the 1970s, some investigators began challenging that dogma, suggesting that proteins are in fact anesthetics' targets, and a vigorous controversy ensued.

It would also explain why things like potassium and magnesium also work as anesthetics. They have no effect on lipid bilayer but do target the proteins.

Since the first successful use of ether to induce unconsciousness for surgery in 1846.

Hmm.

Anesthetics act in quantum channels in brain microtubules to prevent consciousness.

The mechanism by which anesthetic gases selectively prevent consciousness and memory (sparing non-conscious brain functions) remains unknown. At the turn of the 20(th) century Meyer and Overton showed that potency of structurally dissimilar anesthetic gas molecules correlated precisely over many orders of magnitude with one factor, solubility in a non-polar, 'hydrophobic' medium akin to olive oil. In the 1980s Franks and Lieb showed anesthetics acted in such a medium within proteins, suggesting post-synaptic membrane receptors. But anesthetic studies on such proteins yielded only confusing results. In recent years Eckenhoff and colleagues have found anesthetic action in microtubules, cytoskeletal polymers of the protein tubulin inside brain neurons. 'Quantum mobility' in microtubules has been proposed to mediate consciousness. Through molecular modeling we have previously shown: (1) olive oil-like non-polar, hydrophobic quantum mobility pathways ('quantum channels') of tryptophan rings in tubulin, (2) binding of anesthetic gas molecules in these channels, and (3) capabilities for π-electron resonant energy transfer, or exciton hopping, among tryptophan aromatic rings in quantum channels, similar to photosynthesis protein quantum coherence. Here, we show anesthetic molecules can impair π-resonance energy transfer and exciton hopping in tubulin quantum channels, and thus account for selective action of anesthetics on consciousness and memory.

I said it a while ago, consciousness is a resonant electrical energy field.

Water is a dipolar electrical conductor. Water is necessary for life.

Anesthetics stop consciousness. All anesthetics have the property of being soluble in non-polar, hydrophobic mediums.

Oil is an insulator. Oil does not conduct electricity.

I'm gonna make the jump here and say that oils anticonscious effects arise from this insulating property.

Perhaps a non destructive form of cryonics or hypersleep would be to replace blood with oil.

Is this why saturated oil is good, it acts as an intracellular insulator?

Is this why oil was used in the mystery religions and in christianity?

L

lollipop

Hmm.

Anesthetics stop consciousness. All anesthetics have the property of being soluble in non-polar, hydrophobic mediums.

I'm gonna make the jump here and say that oils anticonscious effects arise from this insulating property.

Perhaps a non destructive form of cryonics or hypersleep would be to replace blood with oil.

Now you have me thinking @pimpnamedraypeat.

*Could this be why human breast milk has so much fat content for the first three months so as to "insulate" protect the rapidly growing/changing brain/consciousness of newborn babies so that growth in consciousness does not electrically "burn" the brain?

PS...in the womb, isn't the baby is surrounded with fructose, an anabolic, life generating nutrient, that doesn't need a balance of high sat fat because of fluid protective effect?

*Also could this be why, if a person is experiencing a rapid consciousness shift, they suddenly crave high saturated fat content? For protection?

Excuse me @Such_Saturation if I derailed the thread :therethere

Drareg

These oils have their own symmetry once heat is added to them,they don't need anything additional to form shapes,this can be seen in simply putting fat in a pan and heating slowly.

haidut

Forum Supporter
Hmm.

Great insight. I would go with something like ultrapurified coconut oil derived MCT as cryopreserving material. Saturated fat can induce a state of "suspended animation" because while it will block the resonance effect from the electrical flow inside the organism it will not disturb the inter-cellular communication that goes on even without consciousness. PUFA does the exact opposite and this is its primary pro-carcinogenic effect - i.e. disturbs the quorum between cells. The pro-inflammatory effects of PUFA also play a huge role in disease but the ability to disturb communication is the major negative effect.
As a side note to your observations - saturated fats are sedative, but PUFA are excitotoxic. I doubt this is a coincidence. When a cell is prevented from communicating with its group it gets aggressive and starts to absorb water and divide.

Now you have me thinking @pimpnamedraypeat.

*Could this be why human breast milk has so much fat content for the first three months so as to "insulate" protect the rapidly growing/changing brain/consciousness of newborn babies so that growth in consciousness does not electrically "burn" the brain?

I think it has something to do with it. Saturated fat has high insulation properties due to it's filled electron shells and saturated chemical bonds. The opposite of water.

The straight molecular form of saturated fatty acids makes it easy for them to align with each other; coupled with the absence of electrical charge, this makes saturated fatty acids tend to aggregate or, plainly put, makes them sticky.

The attribute "saturated" comes from the property of molecular structure of a fatty acid where all carbon atoms have a single bond with each other. Since every carbon atom can have up to four bonds, this makes for a maximum possible number of bonds - that is, saturation - with hydrogen atoms (atomic bonds are particularly stable when two atoms share eight electrons in their outer electron shells; this made carbon atom, with 4 electrons in its outer shell, and low repulsive force of its two inner electrons and small nucleus, able to form strong carbon-to-carbon bonds - the basis of all organic fatty acid synthesis

PS...in the womb, isn't the baby is surrounded with fructose, an anabolic, life generating nutrient, that doesn't need a balance of high sat fat because of fluid protective effect?

I don't know. I think fructose might be useful as fuel for the growing baby? IIRC babies are born filled with highly saturated fat. and progesterone is developed a lot in the body during pregnancy, and progesterone is the protective hormone.

*Also could this be why, if a person is experiencing a rapid consciousness shift, they suddenly crave high saturated fat content? For protection?

This is my first time hearing about that but if that does happen it would explain the craving. It would also explain pregnancy cravings.

Great insight. I would go with something like ultrapurified coconut oil derived MCT as cryopreserving material. Saturated fat can induce a state of "suspended animation" because while it will block the resonance effect from the electrical flow inside the organism it will not disturb the inter-cellular communication that goes on even without consciousness. PUFA does the exact opposite and this is its primary pro-carcinogenic effect - i.e. disturbs the quorum between cells. The pro-inflammatory effects of PUFA also play a huge role in disease but the ability to disturb communication is the major negative effect.
As a side note to your observations - saturated fats are sedative, but PUFA are excitotoxic. I doubt this is a coincidence. When a cell is prevented from communicating with its group it gets aggressive and starts to absorb water and divide.

Thank you. In addition to your last point, estrogen is excitotoxic while progesterone is sedative and protective. High carbon dioxide is sedative. DHT is calming, due to it's antiestrogenic effects.

But estrogens negative effects are due to increasing water within cells. So I think the whole thing goes back to oil and water.

L

lollipop

I think it has something to do with it. Saturated fat has high insulation properties due to it's filled electron shells and saturated chemical bonds. The opposite of water.

The straight molecular form of saturated fatty acids makes it easy for them to align with each other; coupled with the absence of electrical charge, this makes saturated fatty acids tend to aggregate or, plainly put, makes them sticky.

The attribute "saturated" comes from the property of molecular structure of a fatty acid where all carbon atoms have a single bond with each other. Since every carbon atom can have up to four bonds, this makes for a maximum possible number of bonds - that is, saturation - with hydrogen atoms (atomic bonds are particularly stable when two atoms share eight electrons in their outer electron shells; this made carbon atom, with 4 electrons in its outer shell, and low repulsive force of its two inner electrons and small nucleus, able to form strong carbon-to-carbon bonds - the basis of all organic fatty acid synthesis

I don't know. I think fructose might be useful as fuel for the growing baby? IIRC babies are born filled with highly saturated fat. and progesterone is developed a lot in the body during pregnancy, and progesterone is the protective hormone.

This is my first time hearing about that but if that does happen it would explain the craving. It would also explain pregnancy cravings.
Thank you @pimpnamedraypeat. Interesting.

haidut

Forum Supporter
Hmm.

Just in case you are interested - diamonds, like adamantane, are dielectric. So, many of the interesting properties of the adamantane derivatives on structural stability of the cell probably have to do with that property.
http://aip.scitation.org/doi/10.1063/1.3010379

Just in case you are interested - diamonds, like adamantane, are dielectric. So, many of the interesting properties of the adamantane derivatives on structural stability of the cell probably have to do with that property.
http://aip.scitation.org/doi/10.1063/1.3010379

Interesting.

They're also diamagnetic according to this professor

"Diamagnetic substances include water, protein, diamond, DNA, plastic, wood, and many other common substances usually thought to be nonmagnetic." -- Martin D. Simon, professor, May 2000

Diamondoids are also found in the interstellar medium...

I think the value of jewels and gold to certain groups :eyes: come from their ancient use in things like the ark, and magical/religious rites

They were used because of certain properties that have been known since the dawn of civilization.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals