Is Mucuna Pruriens seeds high in 5-HTP? Is Mucuna Pruriens serotonergic?

Enhanced

Previous studies reported that, MP contains L-DOPA and 5-hydroxy tryptophan (5-HTP) as a major constituent with higher concentration in seeds [21,22].
There are many similar studies with the above quote that cites this 1971 study that you can't seem to find anymore (if anyone knows how I would be happy) Seeds as sources of L-dopa - PubMed
I can't seem to find anywhere about how much 5-HTP there is in the seeds. If it would be significant enough to cause an effect.

As shown in Table 6, significant (p<0.001) increase in brain serotonin concentration was observed with 14 days MPE (200 mg/kg, p.o.) treatment as compared to control.
There was another study that showed increased dopamine, serotonin and norepinephrine levels after chronic treatment, and that study linked the increase with neuroprotective properties of MP. 14 days in this study kind of seems short for such an effect to take place, it was done on mice though. Anyone wanna chime in? Do you guys think a Mucuna Pruriens seed extract will directly increase serotonin?

mostlylurking

There are many similar studies with the above quote that cites this 1971 study that you can't seem to find anymore (if anyone knows how I would be happy) Seeds as sources of L-dopa - PubMed
I can't seem to find anywhere about how much 5-HTP there is in the seeds. If it would be significant enough to cause an effect.

There was another study that showed increased dopamine, serotonin and norepinephrine levels after chronic treatment, and that study linked the increase with neuroprotective properties of MP. 14 days in this study kind of seems short for such an effect to take place, it was done on mice though. Anyone wanna chime in? Do you guys think a Mucuna Pruriens seed extract will directly increase serotonin?
Are you trying to increase serotonin? If yes, can you explain why?

mostlylurking

I was worried about it, I'm thinking of supplementing it.
I'd like to suggest you learn about serotonin first. It's not something you want to increase.
suggested reading:

OP
E

Enhanced

I'd like to suggest you learn about serotonin first. It's not something you want to increase.
suggested reading:
Oh I meant it the opposite way. I was worried about Mucuna Pruriens potentially increasing serotonin as an adverse effect, as I'm thinking of supplementing it. I already have first-hand experience with serotonin reuptake inhibitors affecting me very badly.

mostlylurking

Oh I meant it the opposite way. I was worried about Mucuna Pruriens potentially increasing serotonin as an adverse effect, as I'm thinking of supplementing it. I already have first-hand experience with serotonin reuptake inhibitors affecting me very badly.
Why do you want to take Mucuna Pruriens?

mostlylurking

I also have first hand experience with serotonin reuptake inhibitors that affected me very badly. I learned that I had a thiamine deficiency. Thiamine is needed to clear serotonin from the brain; if you are low in thiamine, the serotonin cannot clear as it is supposed to. I found great improvement in many health issues from taking high dose thiamine.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals
Back
Top Bottom