Is Antibiotic ATP Blockade Selective?

S-VV

It depends on the antibiotic. Some were used to understand the ETC in mammals since they block the complexes in all species. See the graph at the bottom:
D1852BBC-2AB9-4EF3-AFA6-4AB4B7BDEA93.png

LeeLemonoil

I’ve seen acne patients that were given minocycline low-dose (50mg) for a long time (1-3 years) in their late teens. They showed and some still show distinct signs of wrecked cellular respiration. They even reported to be that they feel their body / they feel like they cannot breathe.
That prompted me into looking into possible
reasons.
Tetracyclines destroy your mitos, plain and simple, the cited paper and many more describe the mechanisms.

Vinny

Tetracyclines destroy your mitos, plain and simple, the cited paper and many more describe the mechanisms.
That,s quite bad, correct?

LeeLemonoil

Imo, yes. Don’t take antibiotics longterm, they can wreck your cell-respiration systemically. And that’s a terrible state of existence, I’ve witnessed it.
Mitohormesis every now and then is beheficial, but long term quite the contrary.

Vinny

Imo, yes. Don’t take antibiotics longterm, they can wreck your cell-respiration systemically. And that’s a terrible state of existence, I’ve witnessed it.
Mitohormesis every now and then is beheficial, but long term quite the contrary.
Thank you.
Can you please define "longterm"?
Thanks

LeeLemonoil

Can’t precisely say what’s the time-threshold. I‘d guess that everything that transpires cell-regeneration cycles sustains to much damage. Maybe 3 month and longer.

OP
T

TheBeard

Which antibiotics have this damaging property?

Vinny

Which antibiotics have this damaging property?
I think he mentioned Tetracyclines, would like to know for other kinds if there are

OP
T

TheBeard

Widely Used Antibiotics Affect Mitochondria

Seems like tetracyclines inhibit mitochondrial respiration and energy production, an effect than doesn't happen with the penicillin class.
I wonder why this is the antibiotic class that Ray Peat recommends then, out of all the possibilities.

Vinny

S-VV

I don't understand anything. Can you break it down?
Sure. Basically in order to study mitochondrial respiration and the Electron Transport Chain, scientists used antibiotics which were known to decrease the concentration of atp. They found that different antibiotics stopped the flow of electrons of the ETC at different points. The two “quintessential” ones were rotenone and Antimycin A, but I think there were many others.

Anti-retrovirals can also cause mitochondrial damage, since the genetic mechanism of the mito is much more primitive than the human.

Tarmander

Widely Used Antibiotics Affect Mitochondria

Seems like tetracyclines inhibit mitochondrial respiration and energy production, an effect than doesn't happen with the penicillin class.
I wonder why this is the antibiotic class that Ray Peat recommends then, out of all the possibilities.
In the CFS community, minocycline is revered as one of the best antibiotic along with macrolides. Sometimes the beneficial profile of killing certain bacteria and sparing others can really benefit people. Where as Penicillin would be worse. I don’t think I’ve ever read ray recommending antibiotics long term.

OP
T

TheBeard

In the CFS community, minocycline is revered as one of the best antibiotic along with macrolides. Sometimes the beneficial profile of killing certain bacteria and sparing others can really benefit people. Where as Penicillin would be worse. I don’t think I’ve ever read ray recommending antibiotics long term.

I don't mind the mitochondrial blockade if any, as I'm again feeling superhuman after starting yet another round of Azithromycin yesterday.
Inflammation is gone, water and nitrogen retentions are up, face looks a lot less tired, mood is great, and I woke up with a hard on that could cut through steel.

Vinny

I don't mind the mitochondrial blockade if any, as I'm again feeling superhuman after starting yet another round of Azithromycin yesterday.
Inflammation is gone, water and nitrogen retentions are up, face looks a lot less tired, mood is great, and I woke up with a hard on that could cut through steel.
Good Lord! Congrats!

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin

Tarmander

Nice, macrolides. Do they have they same blockade as Tetracyclines?

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals