hormone testing

kofimama

Any recommendations for lab work, specifically which labs to use, when looking at hormones? Unfortunately my latest labs from last fall shows thyroid hormones but not other hormones like progesterone and estrogen. Thanks you!

Mittir

Blood tests for cholesterol, albumin, glucose, sodium, lactate, total thyroxine and total T3 are useful to know, because they help to evaluate the present thyroid status, and sometimes they can suggest ways to correct the problem.

Less common blood or urine tests (adrenaline, cortisol, ammonium, free fatty acids), if they are available, can help to understand compensatory reactions to hypothyroidism.
http://raypeat.com/articles/articles/hy ... dism.shtml

Here is his response on saliva test and lots of relevant info

http://www.raypeatforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=68&t=1035&start=30#p11587

<various hormone tests> I don't think saliva hormone tests are reliable. They are a convenient way to see whether the changes of cortisol during the day follow the normal pattern, but for judging its adequacy in an absolute sense I wouldn't pay any attention to them, since the saliva is subject to many influences that don't have much to do with the blood and other fluids. The hormones in the urine are mostly glucuronidated or sulfated, and so represent liver metabolism more than hormonal effects. Total cortisol is good. Some articles below discuss the problems with the "free hormone" hypothesis.

OP
kofimama

kofimama

So, serum testing is the most helpful. Otherwise many of you going on symptoms rather than labs? I'm okay with that, just want to make sure I'm in the ball park here..Thank you.

Mastemah

Danny Roddy lists several tests on his site as well as cheaper lab sites to go to. Just remember that for most things, if you find something weird with tests there's nothing you would do different. You would still just follow RP advice "more".

Dan W

If you go test-shopping, Kofimama (or anyone else), feel free to drop me a line: I'm working on a database of test provider prices. The prices vary wildly, so it can be worth mixing and matching providers.

4peatssake

Mastemah said:
Very cool Dan, yer just all kinds a useful!
(Zzzz)
He ain't just a pretty face.

20339_1_full.jpg

Dan W

Mastemah said:
Very cool Dan, yer just all kinds a useful!
(Zzzz)

Thanks zzzz! I need a tagline like yours.

And 4peatssake, that's awesome. My friends actually want me to dress as him for Halloween.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals