Cortisol Boost

Raincoast

This is one of the pieces that led me to Ray Peat some years ago. None of it is available online anymore, but I have all of it saved.
It ties in to Ray in some ways but not others.
Thought it might be interesting to see what others think.
Hope it's not in violation of any rules

SYMPTOMS OF TOO LOW CORTISOL

The following are symptoms of too low cortisol specifically:

1) Workout results in high levels of adrenaline
2) Thyroid hormone T3 supplementation causes irregular heart rate, or no effect at all.
3) Reverse T3 levels are too high when not supplementing with either T4 or T3.
4) Reverse T3 levels are too high when supplementing with either T4 and / or T3.
5) Bowel inefficiencies: flatulence, high levels of candida, onset of Crohn’s symptoms <— shared with too low thyroid hormone T4 and T3
6) Too low blood sugar despite consumption of adequate carbohydrates/fruits/sugars

SYMPTOMS WHEN OTHER CORTISOL-PRODUCTION-LINE HORMONES ARE TOO LOW

All of the above symptoms of too low cortisol, plus:
7) Too high LDL cholesterol (due to either too low pregnenolone, or too low cortisol)
8) Too low LDL cholesterol (causes too low preg, prog, 17 hydroxyprog, cortisol)
9) excessive or frequent urination, sweating, nose running (too low aldosterone, due to too low progesterone) (aldosterone synthesis regulated mainly by potassium and angiotensin-II)
10) bloating (too low aldosterone, due to too low progesterone)
11) brain fade (due to low pregnenolone downregulating neurotransmitters)
12) anxiety (due to low pregnenolone downregulating neurotransmitters)
13) too low DHEA (when pregnenolone is stolen from the sex hormones to make more cortisol)
14) too much chest and back body hair (too high DHT metabolism, due to too low progesterone)
15) male pattern baldness (too high DHT metabolism, due to too low progesterone)
16) too low T levels and too high E2 levels: includes too high body fat – especially belly fat (all of too low preg, prog, cortisol).

MONITORING CORTISOL

First thing to know about cortisol is that it fluctuates a great deal through the day, optimally from high in the morning to optimally low at night just before sleep time.

In order of accuracy and usefulness, we can use the following labs to help monitor our widely varying cortisol levels:

1) Most accurate, high convenience, self-purchase worldwide = 4-times-per-day salivary cortisol

A.R

For someone suffering from low cortisol, the most obvious thing to do would be to supplement with pregnenolone going by the article listed.

Is there any other steps which need to be taken?

You know, I always thought low cortisol was a good thing, but actually this makes sense.

Although it doesn't sound like low cortisol is the issue, it seems like the issue is there is not enough steroid hormones in general?

Dobbler

Since hydrocortisone is used for so many illnesses like adrenal fatique, chrohns disease / ibd, infections, shouldnt pregnenolone in theory have the exact same effect as HC but in much safer way?

OP
R

Raincoast

I can say this much is true via experimentation,

(i) Taking 50mg transdermal preg in lipoderm base caused my prog to become elevated.
(ii) Adding some cynoplus (with preg) caused my prog to return within norm, but now T was elevated.
E was under 100 both times. DHEA within norms for both. I would assume that SHBG was elevated after adding the cynoplus.

I have high ldl naturally, it went up after adding thyroid and or preg, as did fasting glucose.

I am currently on Tyromix (trans), Tyronine (oral), Pansterone, Androsterone. ProgestE on the gums @3drops. Will be switching out dmso for MCT within weeks so labs will reflect mct. Add 4mg compounded Cypro for sleep.

I am an ectomorph, 42, no hairloss. Peating strictly for years, resistance training 3xweek for 20 years. Used Saw Palmetto, (and even fin) between 20-30 in fear of hereditary hair loss.
Used melatonin for years.
Never any erection issues.
At 42, seminal volume is dismal. Erections 100%
Have always used ample weed, vape only last few years.
Morning wood is all night wood these days...

Will have hormone labs in July, Thyroid done within weeks. I can feel the Tryromix in me, but am curious to see the numbers (@6drops).

Btw, TyroMax (trans) caused my TSH to go up to 7, felt good, Lipids backed up even higher than usual.

Last edited:

Soren

Forum Supporter
So preg and DHEA would increase cortisol if levels are too low?

ddjd

So preg and DHEA would increase cortisol if levels are too low?
just preg. dhea increases estrogen if used above 10-15mg per day

although haidut has said a few times that pregnenolone doesnt turn into cortisol. in my experience, i think it can .

Last edited:
EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals