Glycine Can Be Abundant (and Cheap) Source Of Electricity

haidut

Forum Supporter
This is not a biochemical study, so it may not be of much value to most forum users. However, I thought I'd post it anyways due to the curious properties of glycine, which Peat has written about for a long time and which continue to mesmerize and confuse the medical profession. Peat wrote a few times that the large spectrum of beneficial effects from glycine are due to its physical and electronic properties, and not really to any "receptor" effects or direct influence on specific enzymes/organs.
Well, given that we are electronic machines maybe it is those additional interesting properties the study below found that may be involved in glycine's benefits as well.

https://www.nature.com/articles/nmat5045
https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2017/12/171204144744.htm

"...Scientists at UL's Bernal Institute have discovered that the biomolecule glycine, when tapped or squeezed, can generate enough electricity to power electrical devices in an economically viable and environmentally sustainable way. The research was published on December 4, 2017 in leading international journal Nature Materials. Glycine is the simplest amino acid. It occurs in practically all agro and forestry residues. It can be produced at less than one per cent of the cost of currently used piezoelectric materials."

"...Piezoelectric materials generate electricity in response to pressure, and vice versa. They are widely used in cars, phones, and remote controls for games consoles. Unlike glycine, these materials are normally synthetic and often contain toxic elements such as lead or lithium. "It is really exciting that such a tiny molecule can generate so much electricity," said lead author Sarah Guerin, a post-graduate student at the Department of Physics and the Bernal Institute, UL. "We used computer models to predict the electrical response of a wide range of crystals and the glycine number was off the charts. We then grew long, narrow crystals of glycine in alcohol," she added, "and we produced electricity just by tapping them."

DrJ

BRB going to put glycine in an air compressor turbine and hand crank to produce electricity :)

When I don't do a good job of mixing my glycine in my orange juice I get long crystals that form in the bottom of the glass when it dries out. Here's hoping my sloppiness gets me an angle on the patent claims :)

BRB going to put glycine in an air compressor turbine and hand crank to produce electricity :)

When I don't do a good job of mixing my glycine in my orange juice I get long crystals that form in the bottom of the glass when it dries out. Here's hoping my sloppiness gets me an angle on the patent claims :)
Where do you put anode and cathode?

DrJ

@Such_Saturation It was a pretty half-baked idea, but assuming the case was grounded as is typical, and you could isolate the turbine/shaft electrically with, say, plastic bearings, and implement a slip ring to pull the line off so as not to twist up the wire, then you just put cathode to shaft/turbine and anode to ground and you have a potential. Not sure if it would be AC or DC with how the glycine tranducer-ness behaves. Slip ring is a problem, but I've seen people implement them with co-ax cable connectors which worked pretty well.

@Such_Saturation It was a pretty half-baked idea, but assuming the case was grounded as is typical, and you could isolate the turbine/shaft electrically with, say, plastic bearings, and implement a slip ring to pull the line off so as not to twist up the wire, then you just put cathode to shaft/turbine and anode to ground and you have a potential. Not sure if it would be AC or DC with how the glycine tranducer-ness behaves. Slip ring is a problem, but I've seen people implement them with co-ax cable connectors which worked pretty well.
:emoji_thinking: can we do this for real :ss2

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals