Food Pattern Modeling Shows That The 2010 Dietary Guidelines For Sodium And Potassium Cannot Be Met

jzeno

Food pattern modeling shows that the 2010 Dietary Guidelines for sodium and potassium cannot be met simultaneously. - PubMed - NCBI

Abstract
The 2010 US Dietary Guidelines recommended limiting intake of sodium to 1500 mg/d for people older than 50 years, African Americans, and those suffering from chronic disease. The guidelines recommended that all other people consume less than 2300 mg sodium and 4700 mg of potassium per day. The theoretical feasibility of meeting the sodium and potassium guidelines while simultaneously maintaining nutritional adequacy of the diet was tested using food pattern modeling based on linear programming. Dietary data from the National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey 2001-2002 were used to create optimized food patterns for 6 age-sex groups. Linear programming models determined the boundary conditions for the potassium and sodium content of the modeled food patterns that would also be compatible with other nutrient goals. Linear programming models also sought to determine the amounts of sodium and potassium that both would be consistent with the ratio of Na to K of 0.49 and would cause the least deviation from the existing food habits. The 6 sets of food patterns were created before and after an across-the-board 10% reduction in sodium content of all foods in the Food and Nutrition Database for Dietary Studies. Modeling analyses showed that the 2010 Dietary Guidelines for sodium were incompatible with potassium guidelines and with nutritionally adequate diets, even after reducing the sodium content of all US foods by 10%. Feasibility studies should precede or accompany the issuing of dietary guidelines to the public.

AnonE

Especially with Potassium, I really don't see how people are meeting that number. Who is legitimately having 10+ servings of fruit and vegetables a day? Very pricey for decent quality stuff for a lot of people. Or just way too much food prep lol.

The only way I meet my Potassium requirement is by consuming close to 2L of orange juice per day. Other options include eating 8+ bananas. But I don't do this everyday, too much OJ. I tend to save it for workout days where it seems to help with recovery.

LUH 3417

Especially with Potassium, I really don't see how people are meeting that number. Who is legitimately having 10+ servings of fruit and vegetables a day? Very pricey for decent quality stuff for a lot of people. Or just way too much food prep lol.

The only way I meet my Potassium requirement is by consuming close to 2L of orange juice per day. Other options include eating 8+ bananas. But I don't do this everyday, too much OJ. I tend to save it for workout days where it seems to help with recovery.
Any other ways to get ppotassium? I really struggle w this

AnonE

Not that I know of. After playing around in Cronometer forever I found OJ is just the easiest. And I like it enough anyways. I'm not gonna buy or prepare massive amounts of veggies to get there, just being realistic...

And Potassium supplementation kind of sucks, legally limited to small amounts in supps. At one point I was experimenting with Cream of Tartar, can mix in water and drink for relatively large amounts of Potassium. I think it works but is kinda gross, and maybe you run the risk of getting too much at once without balancing other things.

Cirion

Easy-peasy

potassium.png

AnonE

How much liquid (OJ + Milk) is that in a day? :dead: Quite impressive. That's a lot of food though! Nice.

tara

Modeling analyses showed that the 2010 Dietary Guidelines for sodium were incompatible with potassium guidelines and with nutritionally adequate diets, even after reducing the sodium content of all US foods by 10%. Feasibility studies should precede or accompany the issuing of dietary guidelines to the public.
I can see a lot of people feeling like they can't win, and then feel blamed for not doing it right.

TeaRex14

Milk, orange juice, fresh fruits, and meat (lightly cooked) is great sources of potassium, and between all of them, I think an individual could probably get enough potassium by the end of the day just from those foods. Now magnesium, that's a different story. Also blackstrap molasses, pound for pound, probably has more potassium in it than any other food. Don't hold me to that, cause I'm not 100% sure, but it's certainly a very good source.

Tenacity

Potassium is no problem so long as you are drinking milk and eating your fruit.

potassiumreq.png

1500ml milk, one whole melon, 600g of clementines, two potatoes.

Last edited:
If you eat lots of fruit, veggies, and dairy I don’t think you have to worry about getting enough potassium.

dlind70

Cocoa and cacao one serving can get you 500 mg this is why a lot of people crave chocolate.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals