First Hint Of 'life After Death' In Biggest Ever

jaa

Ah, so the universe evolves to the point where it can turn around and know itself? This is how many philosophers define "spirit".

That's an Alan Watts quote right? That's true whether or not there is a universal consciousness?

Then the "soul" would be trapped in your body without any life or experiences. Sounds like hell to me. Better to die.

What exactly do you think would happen if you were cryonically frozen? I doubt it would be like a long sleep paralysis. It's way more unlikely you would experience something like a soul purgatory. I expect it would be more like a deep sleep or being knocked out where you don't experience anything at all. And even the risk of some discomfort seems worth it to me to be woken up to a time that technology has progressed that far. The world would likely be even more wondrous and people would likely live a very long time.

Last edited by a moderator:

Pointless

That's an Alan Watts quote right? That's true whether or not there is a universal consciousness?

It's something my philosophy professor said. He was talking about Thomas Aquinas and phenomenologists, I think. It's a very old philosophical idea.

What exactly do you think would happen if you were cryonically frozen?

I have no idea, really :eh: But if the idea is that there is continued awareness without a living body, why would it follow that we should go to great lengths to preserve the body? o_O

jaa

I have no idea, really :eh: But if the idea is that there is continued awareness without a living body, why would it follow that we should go to great lengths to preserve the body? o_O

Because it's an idea and far from a guarantee. It's not a bad idea to hedge your bets. I'm pretty sure religious families who attempted to pray away their now deceased child's illness would have been better off hedging with proven medicinal procedures. And when you take away the uncertain weirdness of cryonics, it's really just putting your meat sack on pause until medicine reaches a point to cure you.

Pointless

Because it's an idea and far from a guarantee. It's not a bad idea to hedge your bets. I'm pretty sure religious families who attempted to pray away their now deceased child's illness would have been better off hedging with proven medicinal procedures. And when you take away the uncertain weirdness of cryonics, it's really just putting your meat sack on pause until medicine reaches a point to cure you.

Oh, like maybe there's no life after death, but we can bring people back from suspended animation? Fair enough.

jaa

Oh, like maybe there's no life after death, but we can bring people back from suspended animation? Fair enough.

I detect a bit of sarcasm.

Why would cryonics require life after death?

We are just preserving the atomic state of the brain/body so that future medicine can repair any damage and get the energy flowing properly. That's it. Cryonics works if there is no life after death in the traditional sense. It would work if consciousness is confined to your body and when you die that's it. It would also work in a universal consciousness type world.

Pointless

I detect a bit of sarcasm.

Why would cryonics require life after death?

We are just preserving the atomic state of the brain/body so that future medicine can repair any damage and get the energy flowing properly. That's it. Cryonics works if there is no life after death in the traditional sense. It would work if consciousness is confined to your body and when you die that's it. It would also work in a universal consciousness type world.

No sarcasm. I see your point.

Simonsays

I think we die and our bodies decay and return to the Universe that created us. Those infinitesimally small carbon, calcium, iron atoms etc , that were born from the birth of stars.

We came from dust we return to dust. Deal with it and hopefully enjoy the conscious time we have.

Thats why religion comes in, as we just cant accept it, surely theres an afterlife, heaven, reincarnation etc, etc???

Its over im afraid when we die,, meanwhile others are being born!!!!!!,,,,,, its not all about me, me ,me.

Its pure narcissism to think we live on, in one form or other.

paymanz

What is peat's view on this subject?life after death!

Interesting to know,

Tumber

What is 'consciousness'? If it's the sense of being a self, I think that's an illusion. It will be scientifically verified/unverified some time this century if neuroscience advances far enough. I'm seeing that happening since artificial intelligence is predicted to continue improving at an exponential rate, and that will help neuroscience for sure.

Cryopreservation is only US$28-35k at Cryonics Institute. With the creation of super ai I think it's probable people will be brought back to life. Super ai is smarter than human general intelligence, which most ai researches think will occur this century.

iLoveSugar

My email to RP:

I am not religious at all. I am struggling very bad right now trying to deal with my father's death. He was nowhere close to being ready, and he was taken prematurely due to the hospital's terrible procedures. They unloaded so much medicine into his body, and it could just not take it. Do you believe that our soul or consciousness lives on somewhere, or are we just pure fertilizer?

His reply...
Rupert Sheldrake, Max Freedom Long, Andrija Puharich, Michael Persinger and Albert North Whitehead have described reasons for thinking that consciousness is in some ways objective and “exterior,” not simply a bodily state. Persinger’s talk “No more secrets” is an introduction to some of the implications.

More from RP:

I think the main idea is that, because of the way that things are interconnected, each of us existing in and for others, we call it telepathy when we share consciousness through space, and call it "former lives" and "after life" when we share consciousness across time. Family members and close friends sometimes share consciousness telepathically, especially when the “receiver" is asleep and dreaming, and the same receptive state seems occasionally to be in contact with them when they have died. The physical basis for this objective consciousness would be something like a vortex, a whirlwind or resonance, in the “neutrino sea,” or “luminiferous ether” or subquantal medium.

iLoveSugar

That was what I got from him, but still confused. I'm wondering if when we die, our energy or something lives on somewhere? Atleast from what he wrote?

DaveFoster

Either the seat of consciousness is the brain stem, which was left uncut (but still somewhat damaged from the prolonged suspended animation), or consciousness is a process that does not necessarily reside in the body itself.
Or consciousness is a fundamental property of matter, and it's concentration coincides with the biological structure of the "primitive" part of the brain. Still the latter, but it's implying that consciousness doesn't birth from the brain stem necessarily, but consciousness in the mammalian form requires a brain stem in the same way that a radio broadcast requires both a radio wave and a receiver. Without either the relationship exists as meaningless.

lampofred

I'm in no hurry to find out if anything exists after this life or not. We all find out with completely certainty once we die.

SaltGirl

As someone who has had an NDE I must say it was the most exhilarating experience I ever had. I was at a point where I felt like I knew everything and that nothing really mattered because it's all charades. I saw my life and a part of my future stream through my brain along with everything else. I even saw my next life which was a mind ****. Have tried various psychadelics and none of them came close to this.

Happy to see Ray Peat mention Rupert Sheldrake.

Also, I recommend reading up on panpsychism as it seems to be gaining traction.

chispas

...or consciousness is a process that does not necessarily reside in the body itself.

If that's the case, I'm an even bigger narcissist than I thought. :nailbiting:

I like the Buddhist stuff too. Maybe following your logic, the brain could just be like a radio receiver for the underlying "consciousness of the universe", and there's nothing actually "in" the brain itself of much innate substance. Perhaps we are just a tabula rasa?

Buddhists believe strongly in the power of quiet mediation. Silence, emptiness, nothingness, are important concepts for them to grasp, and it takes them years to be able to "hear" the true nature of things. There is even a famous Zen koan, which asks, "Who is hearing?"

I wouldn't be surprised if Buddhism and biology ultimately validate each other in some way.

lexis

The poet Mohamed Iqbal explains the human potential in the peom 'self'

haidut

Forum Supporter
consciousness is a fundamental property of matter

Well, that's what I said in a few other posts of mine and immediately got chastised for promoting panpsychism :): Not sure if you have seen this thread, but it has very similar discussion to what Peat has mentioned to @iLoveSugar.
A Piece Of Dough Can Learn Just Like Animals And Humans

Here are some of the posts where I touch upon this.

haidut

Forum Supporter
That was what I got from him, but still confused. I'm wondering if when we die, our energy or something lives on somewhere? Atleast from what he wrote?

Hey it's great to see you are back! Did you resolve your health issues? I remember you had some very bad digestion and low temps, as well as low oxygenation. Did anything transpire out of visiting all of these doctors?

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals