Excipients

jyb

Lucy said:
Hmm, how about talc? I see you didn't classify this as bad on your website, Dan. Ray writes in one of his articles: "Crystals of talc were found in the tumor, that were assumed to have originated from the surgical gloves used during the operation. Talc is now widely recognized as a carcinogen, and is suspected of causing ovarian cancer."

I'm asking because the mexican Cynomel (T3) he recommends contains talc, and many people here, including me, are taking this.

That's interesting, has someone emailed him about this? I find it strange he'd recommend any thyroid supp containing talc...

Dan W

Dan Wich said:
...I plan to write up the opposing arguments on hypromellose/hydroxypropyl methylcellulose and microcrystalline cellulose in the next couple weeks.
Ok, that turned out to be a complete lie, I still haven't finished my writeup. Turns out I'm easily distracted :D

However, I wrote Peat about hypromellose, and he said, "I think it's good to avoid it when possible" (full quote here in the Email Advice Depository thread). Fortunately, it's generally easy to avoid by getting gelatin capsules instead of tablets or veggie capsules.

forterpride

Does anyone know how to find the excipients list for triyotex. I'd hate to be taking it for overall health and temps pulse only to find out it has gums in it or something that could contribute to hair loss. Thanks.

Dan W

Does anyone know how to find the excipients list for triyotex. I'd hate to be taking it for overall health and temps pulse only to find out it has gums in it or something that could contribute to hair loss.

I haven't been able to find the ingredients. I'd imagine there could be gums and titanium dioxide to make the "white beads" it's described as containing. But almost all of the thyroid brands have junkey excipients (including Cynomel), so sometimes it's just a tradeoff.

allblues

How much can be done by boiling pills, ideally separating the active substance from the excipients?

My real-world case is mianserin, which seems like a neat alternative to cypro which is unavailable in my part of the world.
Unfortunately there's only one brand available, which also contains these mouth-watering ingredients;

"microcrystalline cellulose, water-free calciumhydrophosphate, cornstarch, mg stearate, colloidal silicon dioxide, hypromellose, macrogol 400, titanium dioxid, talc"

Anyone experienced with boiling pills?

Mito

If no one else chimes in, I plan to write up the opposing arguments on hypromellose/hydroxypropyl methylcellulose and microcrystalline cellulose in the next couple weeks. It's tough to find information that isn't from people with axes to grind.

Ok, that turned out to be a complete lie, I still haven't finished my writeup. Turns out I'm easily distracted :D
Curious if you ever got around to the write up?

I couldn't find much on Peat's website or forum posts on hypromellose/hydroxypropyl methylcellulose or microcrystalline cellulose.

From Source Nutritional Show: Brain And Tissue ll:
RAY PEAT: Yeah, but you have to be careful of the excipients. So many products have strange junk and I don't advise eating – silica, for example, is something that's in a lot of products and methylcellulose isn't good. Just have to be careful of what the additives are.

Dan W

Curious if you ever got around to the write up?
No, I was never able to come up with a way to wrap everything up into something sensible. And getting the response from Peat was enough for me to just accept that I'd avoid it when convenient, but also not getting too worried about it because the studies (though possibly biased) suggest it's no terrible poison.

You're the second person to ask me recently though, so here's a terrible data-dump of my notes if you want to do any digging. They're barely-intelligible though!

Mossy

No, I was never able to come up with a way to wrap everything up into something sensible. And getting the response from Peat was enough for me to just accept that I'd avoid it when convenient, but also not getting too worried about it because the studies (though possibly biased) suggest it's no terrible poison.

You're the second person to ask me recently though, so here's a terrible data-dump of my notes if you want to do any digging. They're barely-intelligible though!
Dan, thanks for offering up your notes/data-dump.

I'm attempting to find a gelling/bulking agent to use in some of my topical mixtures -- such as a magnesium chloride solution. Right now it's way too runny and I've been attempting to search out the safest ingredient to use. Can you offer any advise? I've purchased sodium alginate, prior to learning about Peat's advise against it. I see by your data-dump, that the safety of hydroxypropyl methylcellulose would seem to be inconclusive, or possibly safe at lower dosages.

Do you see any of these ingredients--hydroxypropyl methylcellulose, or alginate--being safer to use topically, versus ingesting? I realize the skin is an organ and will take in these ingredients, to some degree, but maybe since the gut is not absorbing/processing them, it may be easier.

Thanks for any input.

Dan W

Hey Mossy, I probably don't know enough to actually be of use to you. But I'd suspect they'd be safe topically (no gut issues like you'd have with swallowed sodium alginate, and I don't *think* HPMC would ever make it to the bloodstream topically).

Mossy

Hey Mossy, I probably don't know enough to actually be of use to you. But I'd suspect they'd be safe topically (no gut issues like you'd have with swallowed sodium alginate, and I don't *think* HPMC would ever make it to the bloodstream topically).
Thanks Dan. Yeah, what I'm finding out, is that I don't think there is a conclusive answer out there. So, as we're both guessing, it would seem to be okay topically. I appreciate your response!

cyclops

I'm guessing "Aluminum Lake" isn't good? What the heck is that anyway and why would they put it in anything!?

someone i know mentioned making slow release capsules of thyroid since even the small doses that ray recommends were causing issues, using methocel (i guess methylcellulose?) . Assuming ray would not recommend this and the only other alternative i can see is super super small doses that would be insanely hard to crumble these pill into

Logan-

Guys, I am considering buying this magnesium glycinate supplement, these are the excipients:
“Microcrystalline cellulose, croscarmellose sodium, magnesium stearate (vegetable source), stearic acid, modified cellulose (coating).”

What do you think? I need to buy a magnesium glycinate (tablet/capsule form) supplement that doesn’t have magnesium oxide in it (i.e. non-buffered, fully chelated). How bad would this one be? Persorption of and probable gut damage from the excipients are some issues that I consider but, as always, it’s a calculation of harm vs benefits… I wonder how much excipients there are in the capsules… Any thoughts?

Pure encapsulations has a magnesium glycinate capsule supplement but it has ascorbyl palmitate in it which seems problematic (see Ascorbyl Palmitate Fat Soluble Vitamin C) and I am not sure if it has the oxide form in it.

Last edited:

Logan-

Mito

Guys, I am considering buying this magnesium glycinate supplement, these are the excipients:
“Microcrystalline cellulose, croscarmellose sodium, magnesium stearate (vegetable source), stearic acid, modified cellulose (coating).”

What do you think? I need to buy a magnesium glycinate (tablet/capsule form) supplement that doesn’t have magnesium oxide in it (i.e. non-buffered, fully chelated). How bad would this one be? Persorption of and probable gut damage from the excipients are some issues that I consider but, as always, it’s a calculation of harm vs benefits… I wonder how much excipients there are in the capsules… Any thoughts?

Pure encapsulations has a magnesium glycinate capsule supplement but it has ascorbyl palmitate in it which seems problematic (see Ascorbyl Palmitate Fat Soluble Vitamin C) and I am not sure if it has the oxide form in it.

Logan-

This is only powder, I need capsule or tablet form.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals
Back
Top Bottom