Excessive Sugar Consumption May Be a Difficult Habit to Break: A View From the Brain and Body

Stac3y

http://dx.doi.org/10.1210/jc.2014-4353

"Sugar overconsumption and chronic stress are growing health concerns because they both may increase the risk for obesity and its related diseases. Rodent studies suggest that sugar consumption may activate a glucocorticoid-metabolic-brain-negative feedback pathway, which may turn off the stress response and thereby reinforce habitual sugar overconsumption."

Just some food for thought and debate. After reading the Peat articles and this forum, I wonder if the diet is more successful if you are not under constant emotional or environmental stress. I am a little bit worried because I am a chronic worrier, and I wonder if I would be more susceptible to to sugar addiction.

We really dug us a hole with this haven't we :lol:

tara

I'm not sure what the official definition of addiction is, but to me it involves a compulsion to repeatedly do something that is harmful.
Peat says a craving for sugar usually indicates a need for sugar.
I used to think I had a sugar addiction. I now think my restriction of sugar was the more addictive behaviour.
Sugar consumption was indeed a very hard habit to break. Breathing would be a hard habit to break too.
I do think problems can arise from eating a lot of sugar if all the other nutrients are not also well supplied.

I think the evidence does not show that high sugar consumption, compared with other calorie sources, correlates strongly with more fat?

I do agree with you that a Peat-inspired diet is likely to be more successful when we are not under overwhelming emotional and environmental stress. I think Peat refers to such factors. That probably applies to any diet.

I suspect chronic worry may sometimes be a combination of both habit of mind and metabolic state. Both have some potential for modification.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals