• Yes, almost every day

Votes: 34 28.6%
  • Yes, a few times week

Votes: 11 9.2%
  • Yes, maybe once a week

Votes: 2 1.7%
  • Not really, but very rarely I will

Votes: 8 6.7%
  • I have major issues with starch so I try to avoid it, but sometimes I slip up and it makes me feel l

Votes: 6 5.0%
  • No I never eat starch

Votes: 5 4.2%

• Total voters

Suikerbuik

I too, am much better off including starch in my diet. I tried zero starch 2y ago for the last time and it did help some issues, but couldn't maintain calories, stool regularity and did not enjoy food as much. Starch is an easy carier of energy, salt, taste, texture. But it is preferably easily digestible, such as potatoes and white rice, as difficult to digest grains easily provoke serotonin - night waking with anxiety, stuffed nose and inflammation, altered heartbeat.

The calories part is because I can't have too much fat otherwise my lymph fluid becomes stiffer and intestines inflame (distal part - and no fat observed in stooltest). I am doing much better on lower fat, just a few tsp. added max.

thegiantess

Yes, all the time. With every meal? Idk, but often. I eat mostly starch in the form of white rice, white potatoes and tapioca flour in some things I make. Oh and bread. I eat that too. I am in good health. No health issues, healthy thyroid as far as I can tell from occasional labs, temps, pulse, etc. Viva starch.

Nicholas

Makrosky said:
post 116175 I keep thinking... How it could be so simple as lowering serotonin ? Nothing is as simple in human phisiology. Lowering serotonin is killing the messenger but the problem that caused the serotonin to rise is still there probably. Right?

correct. i recently heard the expression, "you are your metabolism." Peat has mentioned (can't remember where) that healing is about addressing every variable of your life and not just focusing on one aspect. In essence, he is saying that metabolism is the sum total of your life. food for thought: suppose somebody could eat starch if they ate very frequently (giving little time for endotoxin). This would be, in effect, a kind of high metabolism state. in this situation, starch very well could increase serotonin in a person with low metabolism, but they choose to not look at it like lowering serotonin but look at it as regulating blood sugar. before long, their liver glycogen is replenished, their digestive system is fully oiled up and absorbing nutrients. in this situation, serotonin has lowered, but not intentionally. A lot of times the digestibility of our foods is not the food themselves but how we use them. and it's ironic that the way to increase metabolism nutritionally is to mimic the state of a good metabolism.

Last edited by a moderator:

DaveFoster

Westside PUFAs said:
If you want insulin resistance and gynecomastia, then yes.
Oh come on. Ray Peat has referred to starch as predisposing one to diabetes on more than one occasion. It has to do with the insulin suppressing effect of fructose.

Can't see how eating more fat gives you gyno, especially if its coconut oil.

most of the world's population has been living on starch forever.

It's difficult to argue with this when you see how healthy they were (see Weston Price) living mostly on starch.

One argument about starch is that it is possible we can become adapted to a particular starch. Too much diversity in diet may be harmful. We may adapt our gut biome better to starch when it's the SAME starch.

Zachs

Such_Saturation said:
post 116264
Zachs said:
post 116188
Such_Saturation said:
post 116185
Zachs said:
post 116170It's all metabolism, for real.

PUFA is also all metabolism...

Indeed, pufa depletion single handedly brought up my metabolism. They are one and the same. Also avoiding iron and getting consistent calories.

Yeah and you can eat all the PUFA you want if you have metabolism to spare... it's all metabolism :ss

For awhile maybe...

CoolTweetPete

I have potato chips cooked in coconut oil pretty much every day. This used to cause me a lot of bloating and abdominal discomfort, but as Zach mentioned, now that transit time is sped up significantly, I seem to have no trouble with starch.

T

tca300

Westside PUFAs said:
post 116233
DaveFoster said:
post 116230 +1 The benefits from starch come from caloric density. Eat more fat and sugar with less water, and you should get a similar effect.

If you want insulin resistance and gynecomastia, then yes.
I hope your referring to the fat as being the cause of those.

michael94

If you have high amylase production and generally digest starch well it is a great source of glucose in bulk, doesn't hurt to have to fruit and some protein or sugared milk alongside though. Potatoes are the best option but laborious to prepare/consume in large quantities, unenriched highly processed white bread with no pufa oils is a fine fuel source, not so much on the nutrients other than selenium.

OP
F

FredSonoma

icecreamlover said:
post 116378 If you have high amylase production and generally digest starch well it is a great source of glucose in bulk, doesn't hurt to have to fruit and some protein or sugared milk alongside though. Potatoes are the best option but laborious to prepare/consume in large quantities, unenriched highly processed white bread with no pufa oils is a fine fuel source, not so much on the nutrients other than selenium.

Where can you get unenriched white bread? I thought all white bread was enriched with iron and other things.

Zachs

FredSonoma said:
post 116379
icecreamlover said:
post 116378 If you have high amylase production and generally digest starch well it is a great source of glucose in bulk, doesn't hurt to have to fruit and some protein or sugared milk alongside though. Potatoes are the best option but laborious to prepare/consume in large quantities, unenriched highly processed white bread with no pufa oils is a fine fuel source, not so much on the nutrients other than selenium.

Where can you get unenriched white bread? I thought all white bread was enriched with iron and other things.

Organic flour is not fortified. Luckily I work at an organic bakery, I eat a lot of bread these days.

OP
F

FredSonoma

Zachs said:
post 116394
FredSonoma said:
post 116379
icecreamlover said:

Organic flour is not fortified. Luckily I work at an organic bakery, I eat a lot of bread these days.

Awesome! You don't think it has any negative effect on your health? After 3 years of gluten fear I am ready to try some bread :lol:

Zachs

FredSonoma said:
post 116396
Zachs said:
post 116394
FredSonoma said:
post 116379
icecreamlover said:

Awesome! You don't think it has any negative effect on your health? After 3 years of gluten fear I am ready to try some bread :lol:

Actually I think it is a health food despite its recent unpopularity. I grew up eating wheat every day, when I went on a paleo diet and gave up all grains among other idiotic things is when my health went down hill. Throughout the years, wheat has always made me feel somewhat normal when I reintroduce it, but of course the gluten fear mongering had me. Only in the last year have I fully embraced it again.

A few things have helped with my anxieties about wheat. One, duckdodgers great articles written on freetheanimal.com. Two, the fact that the French eat a ton of wheat with no issues we have, they all eat un enriched flour. And three, wheat, along with milk, has always agreed with me, so it seems silly to avoid them. Peat helped with the milk.

When I was in Italy and Japan I had no problem with wheat. I do in the us though. I think it's the breeding they do in the us wet wheat. Not healthy.

Zachs

Btw I think grains get a bad rap. Gluten is definitely an issue but I think it's indirectly causing intestinal issues because of low metabolism allowing it to cross the gut wall, just like endotoxin. It isn't the cause. Fix the metabolism, rid the body of pufa and excess iron and wheat goes from problematic food to awesome staple.

dd99

Zachs said:
post 116394
FredSonoma said:
post 116379
icecreamlover said:

Lucky you. I looked into it here in the UK and all white wheat flours - organic or not - are fortified. The only flours that aren't are wholemeal or 'exotics' (e.g. spelt).

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals