David Sinclair On Extending Lifespan

PxD

David Sinclair talking about how to extend lifespan. I've seen him making the rounds on the interview circuit (Joe Rogan, Google Talks, etc.) over the past year or so. It looks like he's been getting quite a bit of attention.

9:19 - "Well the clock of aging is due to the loss of information in the cell, and one way to accelerate that is to go break a chromosome. Instead of going in the sun, we've engineered a mouse where we could break its chromosomes. Not enough to cause mutations (the cells put the DNA back together), so we didn't lose any genetic information, but if we're right about the epigenetic information theory of aging, those mice should get old, and that's exactly what happened. Its gray, its got a hunchback, its got dementia, all its organs look old."

12:22 - "The mouse experiments bear this out. The best way to make a mouse live longer is to restrict the time that it eats (so, periodic fasting), to keep it a little cool, and to restrict its amino acids. That's the recipe for long life for a mouse. And it's true for monkeys as well. There have been calorie-restricted studies where these monkeys for 15 years didn't eat as much food as ones that gorged themselves whenever they wanted, and they were protected. They didn't just age slower, they didn't get as much diabetes and heart disease. They were actually fit and healthy.."

The line about the amino acids made me smile. Maybe soon Sinclair will catch up to where Peat was 20 years ago with his view on amino acids and specifically which ones accelerate aging and/or can extend lifespan.

I'm curious if anyone here on the forum has done the Horvath biological clock test?

Ableton

Incoming food doesn’t age you copers.

this forum always finds a way to talk themselves into thinking peating is the best of all worlds, and that this diet is basically the only one without drawbacks.

the question for everyone who is peating should instead be if the metabolic benefits outweigh the negatives of faster aging in comparison to a caloric restricted diet. For me it clearly does. I don’t care about living to 90, or about looking 50 when I’m 60. i care about having energy and feeling good in the present. And for that I have to eat, carbs especially

YourUniverse

the question for everyone who is peating should instead be if the metabolic benefits outweigh the negatives of faster aging in comparison to a caloric restricted diet. For me it clearly does. I don’t care about living to 90, or about looking 50 when I’m 60. i care about having energy and feeling good in the present. And for that I have to eat, carbs especially
A Peat-inspired diet is a faster aging one?

Ableton

What diet? You mean the bioenergetic diet, the endeavour of reaching youthful energy?

Did I miss something? Is there a strict formula to reach youthful energy?

Depends on your definition. And don’t act stupid, you know that with diet I meant the whole approach including food in abundance, especially carbs. Which is touching this topic of discussion given we are on rp forum

YourUniverse

Living ages you. Mostly the food.

Living on low flame ages you more slowly.

Most people here will disagree with this though.
I think so too, I do. Peat's work suggests a high metabolic rate continually renews the organism, in direct contrast to the theory of the slow-burning flame. Which mostly comes down to PUFA, and other things probably to a lesser degree (methionine restriction, etc)

Ableton

I think so too, I do. Peat's work suggests a high metabolic rate continually renews the organism, in direct contrast to the theory of the slow-burning flame. Which mostly comes down to PUFA, and other things probably to a lesser degree (methionine restriction, etc)
I respect Peat obviously. He is a good example that his own diet is ideal for energy output (his great work) but not for aging more slowly (he at best looks slightly younger than his age despite top 0,0001%il diet and lifestyle optimization.
People will bring up roddy now, who does look younger than his age, but he gives low energy vibes to me.
Obviously genes play a role here too no doubt.

YourUniverse

I respect Peat obviously. He is a good example that his own diet is ideal for energy output (his great work) but not for aging more slowly (he at best looks slightly younger than his age despite top 0,0001%il diet and lifestyle optimization.
People will bring up roddy now, who does look younger than his age, but he gives low energy vibes to me.
Obviously genes play a role here too no doubt.
This is a fair assessment. I don't necessarily agree that looks can tell us exactly how a person has aged, for example, the way I sleep (on my side) I think has created a bit of a crease on my cheek, from where my face lies on the pillow, which probably makes me look a bit older (as if the skin under my eyes has larger bags). I also think Ray started avoiding PUFA later in his life, but I could be wrong.

Ableton

Can you explain why you believe that?
Everytime your heart beats, everytime you digest another meal, there is deteriation. Everytime you breathe in air there is oxidation, hence why patients on pure oxygen age faster.
The oldest people in history are 1 step above starvation. They have in common that they are very thin and remained in catabolic, anti-cancer states for almost all their adult lives.
The little food they had was good, obviously. And they all walk.

Ableton

This is a fair assessment. I don't necessarily agree that looks can tell us exactly how a person has aged, for example, the way I sleep (on my side) I think has created a bit of a crease on my cheek, from where my face lies on the pillow, which probably makes me look a bit older (as if the skin under my eyes has larger bags). I also think Ray started avoiding PUFA later in his life, but I could be wrong.
Only talking males here bc idk about females:
As little as a 100 years ago men looked older for their age than they do now, but better/healthier.
I don’t think looking particularly young is a sign of health in males. Maybe in higher ages

Hans

Forum Supporter
Everytime your heart beats, everytime you digest another meal, there is deteriation.
There is also regeneration.
Everytime you breathe in air there is oxidation, hence why patients on pure oxygen age faster.
Yes, but no one breaths 100% pure O2. And also that's why Peat is all about CO2.

Could you back up what you're saying with good quality research? Peat has debunked all of those myths already.

boris

David Sinclair talking about how to extend lifespan. I've seen him making the rounds on the interview circuit (Joe Rogan, Google Talks, etc.) over the past year or so. It looks like he's been getting quite a bit of attention.

9:19 - "Well the clock of aging is due to the loss of information in the cell, and one way to accelerate that is to go break a chromosome. Instead of going in the sun, we've engineered a mouse where we could break its chromosomes. Not enough to cause mutations (the cells put the DNA back together), so we didn't lose any genetic information, but if we're right about the epigenetic information theory of aging, those mice should get old, and that's exactly what happened. Its gray, its got a hunchback, its got dementia, all its organs look old."

12:22 - "The mouse experiments bear this out. The best way to make a mouse live longer is to restrict the time that it eats (so, periodic fasting), to keep it a little cool, and to restrict its amino acids. That's the recipe for long life for a mouse. And it's true for monkeys as well. There have been calorie-restricted studies where these monkeys for 15 years didn't eat as much food as ones that gorged themselves whenever they wanted, and they were protected. They didn't just age slower, they didn't get as much diabetes and heart disease. They were actually fit and healthy.."

The line about the amino acids made me smile. Maybe soon Sinclair will catch up to where Peat was 20 years ago with his view on amino acids and specifically which ones accelerate aging and/or can extend lifespan.

I'm curious if anyone here on the forum has done the Horvath biological clock test?

This was discussed several times. The benefits observed in calorie restriciton studies are because the restricted groups get low PUFA diets and lower endotoxin burden. So the benefit lies in eating less bad things, that doesn't mean you should eat less good things. Benefits observed from protein restriction come from reducing specific amino acids methionine and tryptophan (even Sinclair acknowledges that one in his articles).

Comstock

Wait, did you guys miss this post? Low dose aspirin resulted in the highest caloric intake AND the highest longevity. Metformin resulted in lower caloric intake and decent longevity. The longest living and largest crickets ate the most. Both aspirin and metformin were better than doing nothing.

Crickets Fed Low Dose Aspirin Live 143% Longer, Have Longer Childhoods And Higher Metabolic Rates

"Unlike the reigning dietary restriction paradigm, low aspirin conformed to a paradigm of “eat more, live longer.”"

Ableton

Yes, but no one breaths 100% pure O2. And also that's why Peat is all about CO2.

Could you back up what you're saying with good quality research? Peat has debunked all of those myths already.
Sinclair

yes according to peat we should all be superhumans here but I will tell you something: everything in life has advantages and disadvantages. Thats the main reason there are so many health approaches. If there was one way to live, it would have been figured out in the internet age the latest.

i would not be here if I thought peating had more disadvantages. I suspect peating is the best way to age while on a diet optimized for high functioning even

tankasnowgod

What does a 51 year old know about extending human lifespan? Can he point to the experiments where humans live to be 173 years old on average?

Ableton

The process of regeneration deteriorates as well

TheSir

Wait, did you guys miss this post? Low dose aspirin resulted in the highest caloric intake AND the highest longevity. Metformin resulted in lower caloric intake and decent longevity. The longest living and largest crickets ate the most. Both aspirin and metformin were better than doing nothing.

Crickets Fed Low Dose Aspirin Live 143% Longer, Have Longer Childhoods And Higher Metabolic Rates

"Unlike the reigning dietary restriction paradigm, low aspirin conformed to a paradigm of “eat more, live longer.”"
Amazing to think that somewhere, for some while, someone's job was to feed crickets aspirin.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals