Daily omega 3 EPA DHA sustains inflammation response (and slightly delays skin wound healing) in human study

cs3000

1701676117017.png
In the present study, we established that the time to complete wound healing (100% closure) for all eight blisters did not differ significantly between the two groups, however, those in the active group who consumed the EPA/DHA supplement for 4 weeks took approximately 1 day longer to heal than those in the placebo group

Considering the small size of the blister wounds, this finding could be of clinical significance

Furthermore, another research paper reported that topical administration of ω-3 PUFA to surgical wounds of mice was associated with slower wound closure in the first 10 days after surgery.35 Conversely, Ruthig et al.36 found improved reconstitution of epithelial integrity with both ω-3 and ω-6 PUFA-treated intestinal cells in rats following mucosal injury [works differently in upper intestine, supposedly, i didnt notice benefit there]. Once again, these variable findings support the need for additional research studies to elucidate the effects PUFA have on wound healing and compare outcomes among similarly designed endeavors

The higher levels of proinflammatory cytokines in blister fluid, found at 24 hours postblistering in the active group, suggest a more vigorous early inflammatory reaction. Therefore, it may have taken longer for the exudative stage of the inflammatory response to resolve, which may have resulted in a slightly longer time to complete wound closure. A previous study that measured wound healing in dog models also observed a longer time for reepithelialization in surgical wounds after ω-3 PUFA supplementation when compared with other dietary alterations.

Attachments

• 1701675448520.png
    1701675448520.png
    34.3 KB · Views: 4

xeliex

Forum Supporter
Very interesting. Before my Peat days, I would take Coromega religiously. I was young but my wounds healed very slowly. On top of a downregulated thyroid, it could have been the high fish oil. It was not "slight" hehe.

xeliex

Forum Supporter
So their original hypothesis was that omega 3 will lower inflammatory markers and improve wound healing.
Their finding were the opposite.

Ginali

Forum Supporter
View attachment 58973
Thanks for sharing! I knew this! Menstrual periods become significantly longer when using fish oil! 5 - 7 days longer!!!

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals