Cold exposure increases baseline Dopamine levels - Huberman

GreekDemiGod

I was listening to this and it really got me thinking. What he is saying is anti Peat.

View: https://youtu.be/QmOF0crdyRU
Plasma noradrenaline and dopamine concentrations were increased by 530% and by 250% respectively, while diuresis increased by 163% (more than at 32°C).

Building that dopamine baseline is another good strategy. Cold exposure such as a cold shower or a cold plunge can help raise your dopamine baseline. Cold exposure has been a health and wellness solution for as long as history has been documented. It’s been most recently been popularized by Wim Hof, also known as ‘The Iceman’. He developed protocols for handling extreme cold including breathing techniques I wrote about in my article, Time to Take A Breath.

According to Huberman, studies have shown that cold exposure can have the same increase in dopamine levels as cocaine, but without the corresponding drop below baseline, aka the crash. In fact, it helps strengthen that baseline. Wim Hof has shown that cold exposure has created an array of benefits in his autonomic nervous system and immune system.

Last edited:

HumanLife

tbf the highest i've felt high dopamine was when i was doing cold showers for a while in Feb-March 2019

youngsinatra

I definitely felt the noradrenaline rise while doing cold showers in the past. Sadly I did the ketogenic diet at the same time, so I was shivering the whole day afterwards.
Wondering how cold showers affects physiology, when you eat a high carbohydrate diet..

I definitely felt the noradrenaline rise while doing cold showers in the past. Sadly I did the ketogenic diet at the same time, so I was shivering the whole day afterwards.
Wondering how cold showers affects physiology, when you eat a high carbohydrate diet..
It actually feels better to do cold showers while fasted I find. So first thing in the morning.

But if I’ve eaten, at any point In the day after if feels awful and I can feel my digestion being disrupted. High carb just seems to go with warm sun. And low carb/fasting seems to gel with cold. Just my opinion. Nothing proper to back that up.

crsnpalmer

Does anyone plunge regularly? I've been able to increase my ability to do work for long hours and reduce joint pain with regular cold plunge usage. 3 minutes at 50 degrees every morning

Osukhan

Does anyone plunge regularly? I've been able to increase my ability to do work for long hours and reduce joint pain with regular cold plunge usage. 3 minutes at 50 degrees every morning
def been looking into it, i have been listening to a few podcasts with Thomas Seager , yea i get he sells a cold plunge , but i find it pretty interesting
prob will first just try my bathtub with ice set around 50-60 degrees for about 5 min before doing some cardio

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals