The Science of How to Consciously Control Your Immune System

Daimyo

On March 23rd, 2013, twenty-four scientific study participants were injected with a dead strain of Escherichia coli, a bacteria that normally induces violent sickness for days on end.

This time, however, none of the twelve people who were trained in the Wim Hof Method experienced any ailment whatsoever.

They had learned a technique from 20-time World Record holder Wim Hof, the first person to show that humans can consciously control their immune system. The other twelve, the untrained control group, were left to shiver and suffer.

The creator of the Wim Hof Method (find more about Wim Hof here) is known by many as a human outlier, capable of things we mere mortals can only dream of. He is the world record holder of ice endurance by standing in a container full of ice for 1 hour 52 minutes and 42 seconds. He ran a full marathon above the polar circle at a temperature of −20 °C (−4 °F) on his bare feet. He climbed Mount Kilimanjaro and attempted Mount Everest just wearing shorts. And not only can his body withstand cold, he is also capable of doing amazing feats in the heat. Last year he ran a full marathon (42.195 kilometres (26.219 mi)) on the highest desert plains in the world, the Namib Desert, without any water nor any food.

It was a follow up of a first study on Wim which showed his body was capable of remarkable features like suppressing his immune reaction, massive adrenaline release and a 300% increase in metabolism. Scientists wanted to know if he was just some superhuman outlier or if his technique really worked.

In this study, now published in the prominent scientific journal Proceedings of the National Academy for Sciences, they studied his method, a combined practice consisting of third-eye meditation, cyclic hyperventilation followed by breath retention and cold exposure.
Learn the basics of the method here.

The research conclusions were baffling. It suggests that everyone, with sufficient training, can modulate their immune response.

Hitherto, both the autonomic nervous system and innate immune system were regarded as systems that cannot be voluntarily influenced. The present study demonstrates that, through practicing techniques learned in a short-term training program, the sympathetic nervous system and immune system can indeed be voluntarily influenced.

-Proceedings of the National Academy for Sciences

In this ground-breaking study, he has shown he is, in fact, not an anomalous outlier, but a very well-trained man. His technique can be taught to everyone. (this is what Wim claims, the researchers are themselves clearly indicate that we can’t predict the same results with people with diseases. However, first-person reports of people with diseases state that it, indeed, helps them too.) Practice makes all the difference.

Healthy volunteers practicing the learned techniques exhibited profound increases in the release of epinephrine (adrenaline), which in turn led to increased production of anti-inflammatory mediators and subsequent dampening of the proinflammatory cytokine response elicited by intravenous administration of bacterial endotoxin.

The breathing technique makes huge fluctuations in the acidity degree, causing a chemical release of adrenaline (epinephrine), more than people who bungee-jump for the first time. These stress-hormones repress the normal immune response. (thinking of scary things without this technique, won’t get you this response.)

This study could have important implications for the treatment of a variety of conditions associated with excessive or persistent inflammation, especially autoimmune diseases in which therapies that antagonize proinflammatory cytokines have shown great benefit.

http://www.highexistence.com/consciousl ... of-method/

OP
Daimyo

Daimyo

When you google his images, you can see that his hair are not perfect. I'm guessing that trick with increasing his adrenaline level is taking the toll. Very useful trick anyway...

pboy

that's amazing, and its for sure true...Tibetan yogic practices for a long time have forced monks to train in the icey weather, such techniques are talked about. As part of a rite of passage they have to sleep outside without any clothes on bare ice for a night and melt the snow around them, or something incredibly difficult like that.

However, I'm sure theres still a lot of suffering involved, and its probably not ideal..its more of a will power thing. Like its amazing to be able to do that, but other than to prove yourself its probably not a pleasant thing to do

amazing though

I definitely am certain you can control your immune system with just a certain will, the fact it involves third eye meditation is interesting to read. Ive had a lot of experiences related to this. Under conditions that most people would get sick, I never have or did, and really the key thing I can attribute it to is mental will power, and in that same sense, a lot of my trying experiences have been in the cold...just by like making a certain face, holding a certain mentality, and breating in a certain way I could like...and almost like loosening my neck as if really just manning up, shaking it out, id get heat energy...and be able to do what I had to do. And I never got sick, in fact ever since I started believing sickness in the metaphysical sense ive never gotten sick once...and ive been through tremendously difficult and trying situations, that certainly would have caused most people to at least get something. Holding the belief that getting sick is only just a hinderance and its actually a semi shameful thing, will pretty much prevent you from getting sick

tara

Such_Saturation said:
Looked like first hyperventilate, then retain breath, either just to normalise CO2, or hypoventilate to raise CO2.
I wonder if he makes a point of a very mineral dense diet, to always have buffers available to handle deliberate strong pH swings.
I'd expect it'd be harder to develop/train such techniques after one is well out of balance to begin with.
Some alternative cancer therapies seem to include a component of pushing pH up for limited periods.

Last edited by a moderator:

tara

May watch those later. For many people who are unwell, hyperventilation can trigger all sorts of trouble, depending on your systems weaknesses. It's one way that's been used to diagnose epilepsy, for instance. I think there could be a risk of triggering critical cardiovascular events, if one's state is prone to this. Panic attacks. Dizziness/blackouts. Caution advised.

_72609248_c0174917-epipen_epinephrine_autoinjector_-spl.jpg

Milky

Just for fun...I attempted a cold shower last night after an hour-long casual bike ride. I got in the shower first and turned the water on and it literally took my breath away to the point I was gasping for air. I held out as long as I could (about a minute) and then had to turn up the heat. I suppose that means I'm not very cold tolerant. :eek:

I can see the value in increasing one's tolerance of certain extremes, as opposed to trying to hover as close as possible to equilibrium all the time. I've actually cut back on hot showers for awhile now and usually keep it close to body temperature.

tara

Milky said:
https://raypeatforum.com/forums/posts/97018/ Just for fun...I attempted a cold shower last night after an hour-long casual bike ride. I got in the shower first and turned the water on and it literally took my breath away to the point I was gasping for air. I held out as long as I could (about a minute) and then had to turn up the heat. I suppose that means I'm not very cold tolerant. :eek:
My guess is you'd be able to tolerate it better if you are warm to begin with, and gradually reduce water temperature to wherever it feels OK to you, rather than go straight into cold water. If it feels intolerable, I would guess that means it is more stress than benefit. For those of us with chronically low temps, I'd guess it would be better to improve metabolism before (or instead of) focussing on training cold tolerance.

Milky

tara said:
https://raypeatforum.com/forums/posts/97025/ My guess is you'd be able to tolerate it better if you are warm to begin with, and gradually reduce water temperature to wherever it feels OK to you, rather than go straight into cold water. If it feels intolerable, I would guess that means it is more stress than benefit. For those of us with chronically low temps, I'd guess it would be better to improve metabolism before (or instead of) focussing on training cold tolerance.

Yeah my own temps are good, I was more or less curious how I'd react to a random cold shower like that. I've experimented with taking warm showers and reducing the temperature gradually until it's as cold as I can stand it in the past, but that was back during my low-carb days and all of that generally ended badly.

My gut instinct still leans towards keeping things in the middle, however if I'm overheated from lifting weights or mowing the lawn, etc. then a cool shower tends to feel great...restoring the balance quickly once again perhaps?

Parsifal

Holotropic breathwork also advises to hyperventilate for mental and trauma healing...

There are also a few yoga techniques in Pranayama that promote hyperventilation although most yoga is about slow breathing and breath retention...

I wonder if that is really useful or just stressful and bad.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals