Boosting Thermogenesis Through Diet

Hans

Forum Supporter
Defective thermogenesis seems to be a cause, rather than a consequence, of obesity. Boosting thermogenesis can speed up the metabolic rate, energy expenditure and fat loss.

A few dietary things that can boost thermogenesis is:

Fructose. Because it doesn't require insulin to enter the cell, it can be used to produce energy and heat. The more insulin resistant someone is, the less thermogenic glucose is. Fructose rescues that loss.
On the thermogenic effect of glucose:
Thermogenic Responses Induced by Nutrients in Man: Their Importance in Energy Balance Regulation
"when ingested glucose is absorbed and then directly oxidized, the increase in energy expenditure (i.e. the thermogenesis) only represents about 1%, whereas the cost of converting glucose to glycogen corresponds to about 5% of the glucose energy content (Flatt, 1978). Another pathway, lipogenesis from glucose, is energetically wasteful since the equivalent of 24% of the energy content of glucose converted into glycogen is expended"
"In a recent study of overfeeding with carbohydrates in our laboratory (the subjects received 1,500 kcal in excess of the preceding day' s energy expenditure over a period of 7 days) , Schutz et al., (1982a) observed an increase in energy expenditure corresponding to 27~ of the excess energy intake"

Shorter chain fats (C12 and shorter). These fats are oxidized very rapidly and promote the production of heat.
Overweight people experience a greater thermogenic effect from olive oil than saturated fat, but this benefit disappears in lean individuals. This is hypothesized that MUFA oxidation requires more energy than SFAs, but this can also be because oleic acid is very rapidly oxidized, almost as fast as lauric acid.

Protein. Fast digesting protein sources such as whey are known to boost thermogenesis mainly by increasing protein oxidation, which is thermogenic. Eating salmon with a high GI carb source, such as potatoes, increases thermogenesis 40% more than when salmon is eaten with a low GI source. I should mention that the thermogenic response of salmon with a high GI carb source was not replicated by having veal with a high GI source, so this is unique to salmon.
Casein is also less thermogenic than whey.
Interestingly, gelatin is slightly more thermogenic than casein, but I think if you were to combine protein (a complete source of amino acids) with gelatin, you would get a superior thermogenic and satiety promoting effect, because gelatin is devoid of tryptophan, and tryptophan slows the metabolic rate.

Salt.
Avoiding PUFA.
Sufficient total calories.

bk_

Defective thermogenesis seems to be a cause, rather than a consequence, of obesity. Boosting thermogenesis can speed up the metabolic rate, energy expenditure and fat loss.

Fructose. Because it doesn't require insulin to enter the cell, it can be used to produce energy and heat. The more insulin resistant someone is, the less thermogenic glucose is. Fructose rescues that loss.
Thermogenic Responses Induced by Nutrients in Man: Their Importance in Energy Balance Regulation
"when ingested glucose is absorbed and then directly oxidized, the increase in energy expenditure (i.e. the thermogenesis) only represents about 1%, whereas the cost of converting glucose to glycogen corresponds to about 5% of the glucose energy content (Flatt, 1978). Another pathway, lipogenesis from glucose, is energetically wasteful since the equivalent of 24% of the energy content of glucose converted into glycogen is expended"
"In a recent study of overfeeding with carbohydrates in our laboratory (the subjects received 1,500 kcal in excess of the preceding day' s energy expenditure over a period of 7 days) , Schutz et al., (1982a) observed an increase in energy expenditure corresponding to 27~ of the excess energy intake"

Shorter chain fats (C12 and shorter). These fats are oxidized very rapidly and promote the production of heat.
Overweight people experience a greater thermogenic effect from olive oil than saturated fat, but this benefit disappears in lean individuals. This is hypothesized that MUFA oxidation requires more energy than SFAs, but this can also be because oleic acid is very rapidly oxidized, almost as fast as lauric acid.

Protein. Fast digesting protein sources such as whey are known to boost thermogenesis mainly by increasing protein oxidation, which is thermogenic. Eating salmon with a high GI carb source, such as potatoes, increases thermogenesis 40% more than when salmon is eaten with a low GI source. I should mention that the thermogenic response of salmon with a high GI carb source was not replicated by having veal with a high GI source, so this is unique to salmon.
Interestingly, gelatin is slightly more thermogenic than casein, but I think if you were to combine protein (a complete source of amino acids) with gelatin, you would get a superior thermogenic and satiety promoting effect, because gelatin is devoid of tryptophan, and tryptophan slows the metabolic rate.

Salt.
Avoiding PUFA.

Salmon is high in PUFA. Eating with sufficient carbs ensures that the body has enough saccharrides to oxidize instead of PUFAs thus lowering the advanced glaciated end products which can inhibit cell metabolism.

baccheion

More testosterone/androgens in males. DHEA, pregnenolone, etc in the preferred range. Good HGH release during sleep.

Is thermogenesis always just increased norepinephrine/noradrenaline? I suppose high dopamine levels also agonize adrenergic receptors.

What other than stress (cortisol, norepinephrine, histamine, etc) increases thermogenesis?

OP
Hans

Hans

Forum Supporter
Is thermogenesis always just increased norepinephrine/noradrenaline?
Thyroid and the catecholamines work synergistic ally together to promote thermogenesis.

Dopamine increases leptin release in visceral fat which can promote thermogenesis.

Caffeine, green tea extract, bitter orange extract, ginger, and a bunch of other herbs and spices can increase thermogenesis. I want this thread to be specifically about food though, and not supplements, because lots of supplements can be used to boost uncoupling.

Cameron

Thyroid and the catecholamines work synergistic ally together to promote thermogenesis.

Dopamine increases leptin release in visceral fat which can promote thermogenesis.

Caffeine, green tea extract, bitter orange extract, ginger, and a bunch of other herbs and spices can increase thermogenesis. I want this thread to be specifically about food though, and not supplements, because lots of supplements can be used to boost uncoupling.
What’s your thoughts on oatmeal in its effects on lowering dht? This seems to be the case with beta-glucan too. As a patented β-glucan supplement called Antrodan, was tested in rodents and found to significantly suppress testicular size, reduce testosterone levels, and inhibit 5-alpha reductase enzyme and DHT6. In other words, β-glucan is an antiandrogen. Not to mention phytic acid. Oatmeal is convenient source of carbohydrate and seems thermogenic when eaten.

Lokzo

Forum Supporter

Salt.
Avoiding PUFA.

OP
Hans

Hans

Forum Supporter
What’s your thoughts on oatmeal in its effects on lowering dht? This seems to be the case with beta-glucan too. As a patented β-glucan supplement called Antrodan, was tested in rodents and found to significantly suppress testicular size, reduce testosterone levels, and inhibit 5-alpha reductase enzyme and DHT6. In other words, β-glucan is an antiandrogen. Not to mention phytic acid. Oatmeal is convenient source of carbohydrate and seems thermogenic when eaten.
I don't think oats is bad in moderation, but if it make you feel off its best not to consume.

baccheion

Break an overnight fast with just protein + fats. Carbs would be eaten separately closer to bedtime and at least 4 hours after a protein + fat meal. One effect is increased UCP3.

TheToad

Fructose. (...)

For me personally I have noticed that fructose does literally nothing for me in terms of thermogenesis. I just stay cold. Table sugar and milk sugars are way more effective and I mostly stay away fro starches due to gut-issues.
So what do you think could be the reason for that? The fact that I stay cold after consuming it, really turns me off of fruit.

I gotta be honest tho, I have estrogen dominance and thus suspect a liver issue here. I'm counteracting as well as I can with Vitamin E (progesterone has no effect on me), but the fruit still doesnt warm me up.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals