ALL MRI GBCAs "induce Mitochondrial Toxicity & Cell Death. "

puella

If anyone is planning on having an MRI with contrast, here are a few recent papers published on the subject :flashlight:

March 2019, Nephrology and Hypertension:

Gadolinium-based contrast agents: why nephrologists need to be concerned
  • “Gadolinium-based contrast agents, regardless of their chemical composition, are not eliminated according to a pure two compartment model; every brand seeps into slow-release compartments such as the blood brain barrier (and gadolinium has been found within the nuclei of central nervous system neurons).”
  • “Gadolinium is retained in vital organs… Therefore, it’s not surprising that people with gadolinium retention present with a wide range of symptoms.”
March 2019, Journal of Investigative Dermatology:
‘Nephrogenic’ systemic fibrosis is mediated by myeloid C-C chemokine receptor 2
  • Numerous symptoms that constitute the diagnostic criteria for ‘nephrogenic’ systemic fibrosis are occurring in gadolinium-exposed patients with normal renal function.”
  • “Gadolinium-based contrast agents induce recruitment of bone marrow-derived cells to affected organs”
April 2019, The American Journal of Bioethics:
The Need for National Guidance Around Informed Consent About GBCA Safety
  • “The research protocol under discussion highlights where the [National Institutes of Health] Roadmap around [gadolinium-based contrast agents] falls short,”

May 2019, Investigative Radiology:
Gadolinium-Based MRI Contrast Agents Induce Mitochondrial Toxicity and Cell Death in Human Neurons, and Toxicity Increases With Reduced Kinetic Stability of the Agent
  • After much uncertainty as to whether [gadolinium-based contrast agents] cause cellular toxicity, we now provide the first definitive evidence that these agents do indeed induce mitochondrial toxicity and cell death in cultured human neurons,”
  • For all GBCAs, cell death increased with exposure dose…” [If you're doctor tells you they'll be using the "Safe kind", they are lying. All I had was the"safe kind" & my gadolinium levels are still elevated 1 year after last injection]
May 2019, Science of The Total Environment:
Toxicological assessment of anthropogenic Gadolinium in seawater
  • “exposure to Gd strongly affected the biochemical performance…including the decrease on mussels' metabolism, induction of oxidative stress and neurotoxicity”

July 2019, Toxicology and Applied Pharmacology (currently on preview):
Gadolinium-based contrast agents: Stimulators of myeloid-induced renal fibrosis and major metabolic disruptors
  • “Gadolinium-based contrast agent treatment leads to dyslipidemia”
  • “Gadolinium-based contrast agents impair renal function, induce pathologic damage, and increase kidney fibrosis.”

Last edited:

Lotte

If anyone is planning on having an MRI with contrast, here are a few recent papers published on the subject :flashlight:

• “Gadolinium-based contrast agents, regardless of their chemical composition, are not eliminated according to a pure two compartment model; every brand seeps into slow-release compartments such as the blood brain barrier (and gadolinium has been found within the nuclei of central nervous system neurons).”
  • “Gadolinium is retained in vital organs… Therefore, it’s not surprising that people with gadolinium retention present with a wide range of symptoms.”
  • Numerous symptoms that constitute the diagnostic criteria for ‘nephrogenic’ systemic fibrosis are occurring in gadolinium-exposed patients with normal renal function.”
  • “Gadolinium-based contrast agents induce recruitment of bone marrow-derived cells to affected organs”
  • “The research protocol under discussion highlights where the [National Institutes of Health] Roadmap around [gadolinium-based contrast agents] falls short,”

Gadolinium-Based MRI Contrast Agents Induce Mitochondrial Toxicity and Cell Death in Human Neurons, and Toxicity Increases With Reduced Kinetic Stability of the Agent
  • After much uncertainty as to whether [gadolinium-based contrast agents] cause cellular toxicity, we now provide the first definitive evidence that these agents do indeed induce mitochondrial toxicity and cell death in cultured human neurons,”
  • For all GBCAs, cell death increased with exposure dose…” [If you're doctor tells you they'll be using the "Safe kind", they are lying. All I had was the"safe kind" & my gadolinium levels are still elevated 1 year after last injection]
  • “exposure to Gd strongly affected the biochemical performance…including the decrease on mussels' metabolism, induction of oxidative stress and neurotoxicity”

Gadolinium-based contrast agents: Stimulators of myeloid-induced renal fibrosis and major metabolic disruptors
  • “Gadolinium-based contrast agents impair renal function, induce pathologic damage, and increase kidney fibrosis.”
Of course Gadolinium

Lotte

Gadolinium is of course toxic. Therefore it is chelated when used as a contrast agent. Patients who suffer from systemic nephrogenic fibrosis had a severe impairment of renal functure before Gadolinium- contrast media administration, so that the contrast agent wasn“t excreted but stayed within the body for weeks, enough time for Gadolinium to be separated from the chelat complex, thus causing toxic reactions.
This can be avoided by controlling renal function before contrast media administration, by using the lowest possible dose and by using cyclic chelat complex contrast media.

OP
puella

puella

Gadolinium is of course toxic. Therefore it is chelated when used as a contrast agent. Patients who suffer from systemic nephrogenic fibrosis had a severe impairment of renal functure before Gadolinium- contrast media administration, so that the contrast agent wasn“t excreted but stayed within the body for weeks, enough time for Gadolinium to be separated from the chelat complex, thus causing toxic reactions.
This can be avoided by controlling renal function before contrast media administration, by using the lowest possible dose and by using cyclic chelat complex contrast media.

Didn't even read the article titles, let alone some of the highlights?
-In particular that it has been proven that renal function is only a risk factor- not a cause of disease or guarantee of protection from Gd induced disease.

There are a great # of people still testing high for Gd many years removed- no matter the form of GBCA. Science is now supporting what patients have been claiming (& showing with labs) for years.

Last edited:

Lotte

Didn't even read the article titles, let alone some of the highlights?
-In particular that it has been proven that renal function is only a risk factor- not a cause of disease or guarantee of protection from Gd induced disease.

I had near perfect renal function, received only macrocyclic contrast ("the more stable kind") & testing high for Gadolinium 1 YEAR after last injection. All symptoms, never before experienced, started the day of injection.

There are a great # of people still testing high many years removed- no matter the form of GBCA. Science is now supporting what patients have been claiming (& showing with labs) for years.

... but millions of people without any symptoms even after several CM injections

OP
puella

puella

How many millions of people were told that all GBCAs deposit some amount of gadolinium? = NONE until the FDA required mandatory blackbox warnings (on every brand) starting in May 2018

How many millions are told it's perfectly safe &, therefore, wouldn't ever think to connect the dots?

What causes Fibromyalgia? (symptoms happen to mirror Gd toxicity. Fibromyalgia is just an umbrella term & likely has numerous causes)

How many people with Multiple Sclerosis (or other problems), and are exposed to countless injections, had their symptoms worsen by Gd only to have it blamed on their MS or pre-existing condition?

All the science is pointing towards massive fallout but how long it will take to flush it all out is unknown. See the history of Thorothast (contrast that used Thorium).
Good day to you, troll.

Last edited:

Lotte

Studies point to a very small, not a massive fallout, this is known for years. But up to now there is no evidence that these small amounts of gadolinium deposits cause any symptoms. MS patients with MRI detectable Gd deposit in their basal ganglia received non- macrocyclic CM. But just stating that their symptoms are due to Gd does not prove that this is true.
I know the studies on Gd very well so don“t call me a Troll. Nevertheless I am sorry for you suffering from whatever symptoms since the day you received GdCM.

OP
puella

puella

3 more that I missed (including 1 from Mayo Clinic stating that Gadolinium Base Contrast Agents interfere with lab results):

May 2019, Nature/ Scientific Reports
Compound-Specific Recording of gadolinium pollution in coastal waters by great scallops
  • “ it is urgent to determine the stability in seawater of the GBCAs currently used, particularly for the most widely used macrocyclic GBCAs such as gadoterate meglumine, gadobutrol and gadoteridol. As the world consumption of these molecules is increasing, these data are essential to predict the consequences of gadolinium pollution in coastal environments and possibly develop water treatment processes”

May 2019, Anals of Chemical Biochemistry
Gadolinium-Based Contrast Agents: A Clinically Significant Analytical Interference in ICP-MS Elemental Analysis
  • “Within one year, our institution’s metals laboratory had to cancel 42 selenium serum tests and 19 heavy metal urine panels due to potential interference caused by gadolinium.”
August 2019, Medical Hypotheses
The gadolinium hypothesis for fibromyalgia and unexplained widespread chronic pain
  • “The hypothesis presented in this article, along with the support of scientific evidence, links FM and unexplained chronic widespread pain reported after a trauma, surgery, or medical illness to retention of gadolinium in the body.”

P

Peatness

3 more that I missed (including 1 from Mayo Clinic stating that Gadolinium Base Contrast Agents interfere with lab results):

May 2019, Nature/ Scientific Reports
Compound-Specific Recording of gadolinium pollution in coastal waters by great scallops
  • “ it is urgent to determine the stability in seawater of the GBCAs currently used, particularly for the most widely used macrocyclic GBCAs such as gadoterate meglumine, gadobutrol and gadoteridol. As the world consumption of these molecules is increasing, these data are essential to predict the consequences of gadolinium pollution in coastal environments and possibly develop water treatment processes”

May 2019, Anals of Chemical Biochemistry
Gadolinium-Based Contrast Agents: A Clinically Significant Analytical Interference in ICP-MS Elemental Analysis
  • “Within one year, our institution’s metals laboratory had to cancel 42 selenium serum tests and 19 heavy metal urine panels due to potential interference caused by gadolinium.”
August 2019, Medical Hypotheses
The gadolinium hypothesis for fibromyalgia and unexplained widespread chronic pain
  • “The hypothesis presented in this article, along with the support of scientific evidence, links FM and unexplained chronic widespread pain reported after a trauma, surgery, or medical illness to retention of gadolinium in the body.”
Are you recovered from your exposure to contrast?

P

Peatness

Contrast agents change lives forever!!! Be warned

An equally disturbing finding is that 58% of radiologists hide findings of gadolinium deposits from patients when they’re found on scans. As reported by Health Imaging, the most commonly cited justification for omitting any mention of gadolinium deposits in their radiology reports was to avoid provoking “unnecessary patient anxiety.”

However, this also prevents patients from taking action to protect their health, which could be really important if they’re experiencing effects of gadolinium toxicity and haven’t yet put 2 and 2 together.

To date, the greatest danger of GBCA has been thought to be relegated to those with severe kidney disease, in whom GBCA exposure has been linked to nephrogenic systemic fibrosis (NSF), a debilitating disease involving progressive tissue fibrosis of skin and subcutaneous tissues. To avoid this, those with kidney disease need to receive more stable forms of chelate with gadolinium.

However, the fact that gadolinium can accumulate in the brain (and throughout the body) even in those who do not have kidney problems could have significant, hitherto unrecognized, dangers. For example, use of GBCAs has been linked to hypersensitivity in two brain regions (the dentate nucleus and globus pallidus), the consequences of which are still unknown.

Ray says

Coffee and Orange Juice are chelators for gadolinium. I'm not convinced but remain hopeful

frannybananny

Contrast agents change lives forever!!! Be warned

An equally disturbing finding is that 58% of radiologists hide findings of gadolinium deposits from patients when they’re found on scans. As reported by Health Imaging, the most commonly cited justification for omitting any mention of gadolinium deposits in their radiology reports was to avoid provoking “unnecessary patient anxiety.”

However, this also prevents patients from taking action to protect their health, which could be really important if they’re experiencing effects of gadolinium toxicity and haven’t yet put 2 and 2 together.

To date, the greatest danger of GBCA has been thought to be relegated to those with severe kidney disease, in whom GBCA exposure has been linked to nephrogenic systemic fibrosis (NSF), a debilitating disease involving progressive tissue fibrosis of skin and subcutaneous tissues. To avoid this, those with kidney disease need to receive more stable forms of chelate with gadolinium.

However, the fact that gadolinium can accumulate in the brain (and throughout the body) even in those who do not have kidney problems could have significant, hitherto unrecognized, dangers. For example, use of GBCAs has been linked to hypersensitivity in two brain regions (the dentate nucleus and globus pallidus), the consequences of which are still unknown.

Ray says

Coffee and Orange Juice are chelators for gadolinium. I'm not convinced but remain hopeful
I am scheduled for an MRI tomorrow and reading all this info has kind of freaked me out. My Gastro Doc wants me to use the contrast dye Gadolinium but I have not given my permission to the imaging center and really do not know what to do. I f I refuse he will be very annoyed with me because he wasn't going to prescribe the MRI on my liver unless I agreed to the Contrast Dye. So this is kind of after the fact of me agreeing. What would you do? Anyone?

AspiringSage

I am not well read into the topic of contrast dyes. An ex girlfriend had listed herself as allergic based on her mothers adverse reaction (tingling, shortness of breath, itching). I don’t know your background or what has caused you to seek out an MRI of your liver. I’d imagine that it’s fairly serious to warrant imaging.

You have to do a personal risk benefit analysis. Consider the consequences of not having high quality imaging of your liver. Consider the other options for imaging and their risks (CT scans come with a high dose of radiation). Consider the risk of the contrast dye. Consider finding a different provider who will order an MRI without contrast dye. Consider calling in sick and postponing the imaging (giving more time for consideration). Consider your kidney function (how quickly most of the contrast dye might clear). Consider the neurological risk brought to light in this thread.

Try to balance those things. Maybe even write them out in a simple pro/con table. Never let anyone coerce you into something that isn’t in your best interest. Think it though and follow your instincts.

I not a medical provider; but, I’ve taken a few grad courses with an emphasis on policy, decision science, etc. I hope that helps.

Last edited:
P

Peatness

I am scheduled for an MRI tomorrow and reading all this info has kind of freaked me out. My Gastro Doc wants me to use the contrast dye Gadolinium but I have not given my permission to the imaging center and really do not know what to do. I f I refuse he will be very annoyed with me because he wasn't going to prescribe the MRI on my liver unless I agreed to the Contrast Dye. So this is kind of after the fact of me agreeing. What would you do? Anyone?
The dye is unnecessary, Dr Peat has said as much. Don't let them talk you into it. I made the mistake of being persuaded against my better judgement. It causes permanent damage to the tissues including your organs – don’t let anyone tell you otherwise. Tell them you have allergies. Let's imagine you already have liver/kidney issues what is the contrast dye going to do to those organs?

frannybananny

I am not well read into the topic of contrast dyes. An ex girlfriend had listed herself as allergic based on her mothers adverse reaction (tingling, shortness of breath, itching). I don’t know your background or what has caused you to seek out an MRI of your liver. I’d imagine that it’s fairly serious to warrant imaging.

You have to do a personal risk benefit analysis. Consider the consequences of not having high quality imaging of your liver. Consider the other options for imaging and their risks (CT scans come with a high dose of radiation). Consider the risk of the contrast dye. Consider finding a different provider who will order an MRI without contrast dye. Consider calling in sick and postponing the imaging (giving more time for consideration). Consider your kidney function (how quickly most of the contrast dye might clear). Consider the neurological risk brought to light in this thread.

Try to balance those things. Maybe even write them out in a simple pro/con table. Never let anyone coerce you into something that isn’t in your best interest. Think it though and follow your instincts.

I not a medical provider; but, I’ve taken a few grad courses with an emphasis on policy, decision science, etc. I hope that helps.
Thank you for your thoughtful reply..... they already coerced me into getting the CT scan for which my primary doc said I didn't have to have the contrast dye but then afterwards when I asked for the ultrasound elastography test he referred me to the strange Gastro doc who insisted on an MRI without and with contrast. Soooo, I already got the radiation zap from the CT scan. I just talked to my brother in Az who is a retired doc and has to get an MRI on his head and neck once a year from a cervical stroke to check for bleeding and he gets the gadolinium. He said he wasn't worried about it nor even thought about it much. But we are both old and his attitude helped calm me down about how this one injection of gadolinium could be worse than the damage I've already subjected my liver to after all these years? .... so there's that.

P

Peatness

Thank you for your thoughtful reply..... they already coerced me into getting the CT scan for which my primary doc said I didn't have to have the contrast dye but then afterwards when I asked for the ultrasound elastography test he referred me to the strange Gastro doc who insisted on an MRI without and with contrast. Soooo, I already got the radiation zap from the CT scan. I just talked to my brother in Az who is a retired doc and has to get an MRI on his head and neck once a year from a cervical stroke to check for bleeding and he gets the gadolinium. He said he wasn't worried about it nor even thought about it much. But we are both old and his attitude helped calm me down about how this one injection of gadolinium could be worse than the damage I've already subjected my liver to after all these years? .... so there's that.
He is a doctor and this is his reply. This should definitely help you make up your mind.

peateats1

Absolutely do what is right for you and tell your dr to shove it

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals