Gel manicures lead to cell death, mitochondrial dysfunction and cancer

haidut

Forum Supporter
Yet another common and "benign" cosmetic procedures has now been demonstrated to be actually quite dangerous. Prior studies have already demonstrated that hair dyes, makeup, botox, nail polish, and even essential oil therapy all have toxic side effects that in the long run can cause serious health issues, both locally and systemically. The study below now demonstrates that the widely used "gel" manicure procedure is cytotoxic, genotoxic, mitotoxic, and ultimately carcinogenic. More specifically, it was the UV-emitting devices, used to harden the manicures that caused all of these toxic effects, despite the brief exposure of the hands/fingers to the UV light. The toxicity of UV light to human skin cells has been known for decades, especially in cells abundant in PUFA, though nobody expected that UV light would display toxicity after even brief exposures (15-20 minutes). Now, even though the article does not mention it, I think the gel used for the actual manicure is also dangerous. That gel is usually composed of a mix of various acrylates, and benzoyl peroxide. Both of those classes of chemicals are toxic and classified as probably human carcinogens. So, even if the cosmetic procedure did not use UV light, it would still be toxic. Finally, this is one of the very few studies that seems to directly disprove (inadvertently) the central dogma of cancer. Namely, the central dogma of cancer states that cancerous mutations happen first and those mutations eventually lead to the typical metabolic/mitochondrial dysfunction seen in cancer cells (e.g. Warburg Effect, hypoxia, excessive fat oxidation / gluconeogenesis, etc). The study found that the mitochondrial dysfunction caused by UV light can happen first and that metabolic/mitochondrial dysfunction was sufficient to trigger cancerous mutations in the human skin cells. In other words, it is metabolism that drives/controls cancer, not the other way around. Thus, as a metabolic disease, cancer is perfectly preventable and treatable, without any use of the "cut, poison, burn" paradigm:):

DNA damage and somatic mutations in mammalian cells after irradiation with a nail polish dryer - Nature Communications
Study finds that UV-emitting nail polish dryers damage DNA and cause mutations in cells

"...If you look at the way these [UV] devices are presented, they are marketed as safe, with nothing to be concerned about," said Ludmil Alexandrov, a professor of bioengineering as well as cellular and molecular medicine at UC San Diego, and corresponding author of the study published in Nature Communications. "But to the best of our knowledge, no one has actually studied these devices and how they affect human cells at the molecular and cellular levels until now." Using three different cell lines—adult human skin keratinocytes, human foreskin fibroblasts, and mouse embryonic fibroblasts—the researchers found that the use of these UV emitting devices for just one 20-minute session led to between 20 and 30 percent cell death, while three consecutive 20-minute exposures caused between 65 and 70 percent of the exposed cells to die. Exposure to the UV light also caused mitochondrial and DNA damage in the remaining cells and resulted in mutations with patterns that can be observed in skin cancer in humans."

"..."I thought that was odd, so we began looking into it, and noticed a number of reports in medical journals saying that people who get gel manicures very frequently—like pageant contestants and estheticians—are reporting cases of very rare cancers in the fingers, suggesting that this may be something that causes this type of cancer," said Alexandrov. "And what we saw was that there was zero molecular understanding of what these devices were doing to human cells.""

"..."We saw multiple things: first, we saw that DNA gets damaged," said Alexandrov. "We also saw that some of the DNA damage does not get repaired over time, and it does lead to mutations after every exposure with a UV-nail polish dryer. Lastly, we saw that exposure may cause mitochondrial dysfunction, which may also result in additional mutations. We looked at patients with skin cancers, and we see the exact same patterns of mutations in these patients that were seen in the irradiated cells.""

Shocking!! Thanks for sharing. Nearly every woman I know frequently gets these gel manicures but thankfully I never got into it. I wonder if regular nail polish also contains these harmful chemicals or if its just the gel ones...

Also, same question as @valzim, does this apply to tanning beds too?? I have seen mixed opinions on the forum about it and personally found very occasional use was helpful in the dark of winter for SAD. But certainly want to avoid if such a short exposure can do that much damage :oops:

bloooeh

Your article reminded me of this nurse I met a few yrs ago and she had a mitral valve replacement in her 30's. I don't recall exactly her age but she was young when she had the valve done. She had gel manicure done and later on she developed vegetation (endocarditis) on her mitral valve leaflets. Not immediately but she had blamed it from that. There was a lawsuit on that place where she went but Idk whatever happened after that..... Good article @haidut !

LadyRae

Not to mention - the "gel" chemicals completely destroy the keratin of the real fingernail underneath. To get the gel off, one must soak one's entire fingertip in acetone for 10-15 minutes! Salons push this gel business because you'll have to come back to get it off, and then you'll keep going because your nails are a complete wreck after....

This bit had me cracking up! It's an oldie but a goodie- 4 minutes😅

View: https://youtu.be/SsWrY77o77o

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
nurse I met a few yrs ago and she had a mitral valve replacement in her 30's.

Was she taking SSRI drugs?

bloooeh

Was she taking SSRI drugs?
That, Idk. I'd be curious too but I had resigned from that job and no longer have access to anything.

Thanks for that thread. I had ask a question on there b/c Ik many young adults take SSRIs.. I also notice that mostly females have trace to mild mitral regurgitation on their 2D echo. Or have a faint murmur that they have most their life. Not due to a degenerative valve. So now this got me curious if some of these pts with new murmur are on SSRIs. Interesting stuff.

Almost every woman I know, besides myself, goes to the salon and gets those gel nails. They always look so pretty, but I never trusted the cleanliness of these places, so I have avoided them. I never like spending my time sitting there to get my nails done either. I love all of money I have saved passing on salons, and those gel nails aren’t looking too pretty anymore to me now knowing this 😬

catan

Almost every woman I know, besides myself, goes to the salon and gets those gel nails. They always look so pretty, but I never trusted the cleanliness of these places, so I have avoided them. I never like spending my time sitting there to get my nails done either. I love all of money I have saved passing on salons, and those gel nails aren’t looking too pretty anymore to me now knowing this 😬

Yes, almost every woman I know as well. I've never gotten into them, just observing what happened to my nails the times I'd put nail polish on them. I figure those nails must be harmful, I got headaches the times I briefly went into those salons when meeting up with my sisters. Now it is very popular for even my daughters' friends get them regularly with their mothers, starting very young, like 6 or 7yo.

catan

I wonder if toluene- and formaldehyde-free nail polish would be safe...

I wonder as well. I've gotten them for my daughters, as they really want to paint their nails, and since all their friends regularly gets manicures or paint their nails, I've settled for the water-based polish they can play with...

Yes, almost every woman I know as well. I've never gotten into them, just observing what happened to my nails the times I'd put nail polish on them. I figure those nails must be harmful, I got headaches the times I briefly went into those salons when meeting up with my sisters. Now it is very popular for even my daughters' friends get them regularly with their mothers, starting very young, like 6 or 7yo.
My mom wouldn’t even let my use a razor until I was in 8th grade, much less use make-up or hair dye, because of that never got into make-up. I only own two colors of eyeshadow and one lip color.

catan

My mom wouldn’t even let my use a razor until I was in 8th grade, much less use make-up or hair dye, because of that never got into make-up. I only own two colors of eyeshadow and one lip color.

My mom actually told me when I wanted to put on nail polish, probably around 8 or 9, that nail polish make your nails yellow. She wouldn't allow any of it, makeup, hair dye, etc till I finally disobeyed her and tried makeup and all that near the end of high school. So I never got into it, and I have noticed the times I used makeip, my skin wouldn't feel right after, so I just stopped altogether. Very grateful to my mother, she hardly wore makeup and was always very elegant. Now I tell my daughters all the time how toxic most of the stuff is out there, hoping some of what I say will sink in. The kids nowadays start wearing this stuff very young. Hair dye, nail polish, makeup by third or fourth grade.

My mom actually told me when I wanted to put on nail polish, probably around 8 or 9, that nail polish make your nails yellow. She wouldn't allow any of it, makeup, hair dye, etc till I finally disobeyed her and tried makeup and all that near the end of high school. So I never got into it, and I have noticed the times I used makeip, my skin wouldn't feel right after, so I just stopped altogether. Very grateful to my mother, she hardly wore makeup and was always very elegant. Now I tell my daughters all the time how toxic most of the stuff is out there, hoping some of what I say will sink in. The kids nowadays start wearing this stuff very young. Hair dye, nail polish, makeup by third or fourth grade.
Good to know I wasn’t alone. I felt plain growing up compared to other women, not dying my hair or doing nails and make-up, but now that I am older and used to being natural it is to my benefit now. The few times I went in for professional make-up for fun or for photographers, I thought I looked ridiculous and I immediately washed it off. Even nail polish never looked good on me either, so for a dress up look I just put on a clear that has a light glitter or sparkle to it. I wonder how bad that is compared to the gels?

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals