A Single High-fat Meal (milkshake) Provokes Pathological Erythrocyte Remodeling

Mito

After arrival to the test center, pre-meal metabolic parameters and blood samples were collected, and flow- mediated dilation (FMD) testing was performed. After baseline assessments were performed and blood samples were collected, all participants consumed either an HFM in the form of a milkshake (1 g/kg fat, 0.5 g/kg carbohydrate, and 0.15 g/kg protein for a total of 11.6 Kcals/kg of body weight) or a low-fat ICM (0.04 g/kg fat, 2.54 g/kg carbohydrate, and 0.28 g/kg protein for a total of 11.6 Kcals/kg of body weight). Four hours post-meal consumption, metabolic parameters, blood samples, and FMD data were collected again.

In conclusion, we demonstrate for the first time in humans that a single HFM can induce pathological RBC remodeling and oxidative stress, in conjunction with elevations in plasma and RBC-bound MPO. Remarkably, the single HFM was sufficient to promote MPO-mediated HDL oxidation. Together, these findings shed novel insight into the mechanisms whereby consumption of heavy meals enriched in fat may promote destabilization of vulnerable plaques leading to acute myocardial infarction.

B48E7F7D-8C34-4373-8227-814E3BBF0CDD.jpeg

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41374-018-0038-3.pdf

Travis

I don't like it because not one person should have plaques to begin with: Simply preventing their rupture seems somewhat like a patch-job, for charlatans, and we can all prevent them from forming in the first place or even reverse those present. I don't think lipids have much to do with plaque formation, but instead a deficiency of vitamin C caused by insufficient intake and its ṄO-catalyzed destruction. Probably just one pineapple and a few hundred milligrams of γ-tocopherol every other day should prevent cardiovascular disease in most cases, with the pineapple also contributing fibrinolytic enzymes in addition to the ascorbate. I think the relatively high levels of nitric oxide observed in cardiovascular disease not only explains—to some degree—the reduced ascorbate levels found, but also expalins why cardiovascular disease is correlated with homocysteine levels. It's known to some biochemists that the nitric oxide radical reacts with methionine to form the methionine radical, and this radical is correlated very strongly (r≈.95) with cerebrospinal fluid lipid peroxidation products. In the same manner the homocysteine radicals initiate lipid peroxidation chain reactions in the brain, lipid peroxidation in the bloodstream and arterial wall would likewise be expected. Nitric oxide is also the second substrate for cyclooxygenase besides arachidonic acid, with which is formed prostaglandin H₂ by the enzyme. This initial prostaglandin is further differentiated into subgroups, and some will then become prostaglanin A₂—or thromboxane. So even though cardiovascular disease can appear 'multifactorial' in a way, there only appears to be a few primary factors which really need to be considered: vitamin C, nitric oxide, and perhaps ω−6 fatty acids.

InChristAlone

Yeah vitamin C is definitely implicated in atherosclerosis.

OP
Mito

Mito

Probably just one pineapple and a few hundred milligrams of γ-tocopherol every other day should prevent cardiovascular disease in most cases, with the pineapple also contributing fibrinolytic enzymes in addition to the ascorbate.
Is your preference for vitamin C from pineapple because of the Bromelain or is it just taste?

fradon

i read an article the other day on how meatless diets increase CVD. i attributed to the uric acid from meat as humans do not manufacture their own vitamin C like animals can so instead we have URIC ACID as an antioxidant.

Travis

Is your preference for vitamin C from pineapple because of the Bromelain or is it just taste?
Vitamin C is in nearly all raw food in decent amounts, so I don't worry much about that one. I like the taste of pineapples and can get a good price on them, but I'd also eat papayas just the same if they were more available. I usually eat the pineapple bottoms plain since they are sweet, and then blend the tops with juniper berries and about an ounce of raw honey. Honey also has about a 1∶1 glucose to fructose ratio and I honestly cannot see why a sweetened pineapple top half would be any different than the pineapple bottom half, chemically. But the pineapple enzymes can certainly be seen a plus: besides the two proteases, the pineapple also has three separate chitinases that probably make it the best fruit for those having post-antibiotic or post-glucocorticoid aftershocks. The proteases are absorbed where they proteolyze adhesion proteins in the blood, lowering viscosity and thereby reducing the chance of stroke. But really, all fruits seem to be good and just because the pineapple is probably the most studied fruit doesn't mean that I believe it stands head-and-shoulders above the rest—I don't want to start a 'pineapple cult' like August Engelhardt had started a coconut cult (a die-hard Peatarian before Peat himself). All fruits have characteristic phytochemicals, sugar ratios, and vitamin contents and they are good in my opinion. The one outlier that I think deserves mention in the banana, which has a high starch content and has roughly a 10∶1 glucose to fructose ratio. Most fruits are somewhere around 1∶1, and many even approach a 1∶2 glucose to fructose ratio. These two sugars have different effects: fructose does not raise insulin to nearly the same extent: Glucose is preferentially stored as polysaccharides, mainly as glycogen, while any spare fructose tends to go more towards fatty acid synthesis.

Travis

i read an article the other day on how meatless diets increase CVD. i attributed to the uric acid from meat as humans do not manufacture their own vitamin C like animals can so instead we have URIC ACID as an antioxidant.
This does happen, and cardiovascular disease can be found among vegetarians in India. However, many of them eat mostly cooked legumes and rice and would also be expected to get it under the Pauling–Rath paradigm. Still operating under this theory: meat would only be a risk factor to the extent that it's cooked, which inactivates the vitamin C, saying nothing about uric acid. It always surprising me that some people still to this day align themselves with the flaky Ancel Keys Hypothesis despite a mind-blowing level of evidence directly refuting it. The media still appear under its spell, and still talk of cholesterol and 'saturated fat' as if they were actually responsible for causing this. This is medico-political, and often wrong paradigms are felt necessary by them to maintain profits. If the public had a more realistic outlook on certain diseases, they would exist less and doctors and hospitals would lose income. The media also promotes an authoritarian 'lollopop outlook,' where presumed authorities of all types are presented as being philanthropists without self-serving interests (despite their obvious and confirmed misanthropic and selfish behaviour).

Last edited:
I don't see this much conclusive for real life application. Look at babies, breast milk, the most perfect food in earth, is high fat. Yeah I know what you're gonna say, wer're not babies, we're not growing.... etc, but I fail to see ANYTHING that is good for a baby to be bad for an adult.

It always surprising me that some people still to this day align themselves with the flaky Ancel Keys Hypothesis despite a mind-blowing level of evidence directly refuting it.
Yet he lived 100 years.

I never was of the idea that saturated fats were that evil some prophesized (after all breast milk is about 45% saturated) but I do think in excess they carry some unique abilities for contributing to atheromic plaque and cardiovascular problems long term. Keys lived srongly attached to the -true- mediterranean diet model, which, statistically entails one of the most proved outcome for a healthy and longer living.

Last edited:
J

jb116

Vitamin C is in nearly all raw food in decent amounts, so I don't worry much about that one. I like the taste of pineapples and can get a good price on them, but I'd also eat papayas just the same if they were more available. I usually eat the pineapple bottoms plain since they are sweet, and then blend the tops with juniper berries and about an ounce of raw honey. Honey also has about a 1∶1 glucose to fructose ratio and I honestly cannot see why a sweetened pineapple top half would be any different than the pineapple bottom half, chemically. But the pineapple enzymes can certainly be seen a plus: besides the two proteases, the pineapple also has three separate chitinases that probably make it the best fruit for those having post-antibiotic or post-glucocorticoid aftershocks. The proteases are absorbed where they proteolyze adhesion proteins in the blood, lowering viscosity and thereby reducing the chance of stroke. But really, all fruits seem to be good and just because the pineapple is probably the most studied fruit doesn't mean that I believe it stands head-and-shoulders above the rest—I don't want to start a 'pineapple cult' like August Engelhardt had started a coconut cult (a die-hard Peatarian before Peat himself). All fruits have characteristic phytochemicals, sugar ratios, and vitamin contents and they are good in my opinion. The one outlier that I think deserves mention in the banana, which has a high starch content and has roughly a 10∶1 glucose to fructose ratio. Most fruits are somewhere around 1∶1, and many even approach a 1∶2 glucose to fructose ratio. These two sugars have different effects: fructose does not raise insulin to nearly the same extent: Glucose is preferentially stored as polysaccharides, mainly as glycogen, while any spare fructose tends to go more towards fatty acid synthesis.
Travis what do you think of overly ripen bananas? You know the classic, blackened skin. Isn't there a breakdown of the starch at that point into sugar?
I don't see this much conclusive for real life application. Look at babies, breast milk, the most perfect food in earth, is high fat. Yeah I know what you're gonna say, wer're not babies, we're not growing.... etc, but I fail to see ANYTHING that is good for a baby to be bad for an adult.

Yet he lived 100 years.

I never was of the idea that saturated fats were that evil some prophesized (after all breast milk is about 45% saturated) but I do think in excess they carry some unique abilities for contributing to atheromic plaque and cardiovascular problems long term. Keys lived srongly attached to the -true- mediterranean diet model, which, statistically entails one of the most proved outcome for living healthy and longer living.
Playing Devil's advocate, if we assume Keys was part of a bigger agenda, there's no telling what diet he actually followed privately and personally. I suppose one would have to decide if he was a straight shooter or part of a bigger scheme.

Playing Devil's advocate, if we assume Keys was part of a bigger agenda, there's no telling what diet he actually followed privately and personally. I suppose one would have to decide if he was a straight shooter or part of a bigger scheme.

You think about him neglecting the increased refined sugar consumption within the rising of processed food being a partial cause of the problems was part of the same agenda?

Travis

Yet he lived 100 years.

I never was of the idea that saturated fats were that evil some prophesized (after all breast milk is about 45% saturated) but I do think in excess they carry some unique abilities for contributing to atheromic plaque and cardiovascular problems long term. Keys lived srongly attached to the -true- mediterranean diet model, which, statistically entails one of the most proved outcome for a healthy and longer living.
Well, oleic acid really shouldn't be considered too bad; this is made in the body all the time from stearic acid and is not prone to spontaneous peroxidation. If Ancel Keys stuck more towards to olive's lipid profile, I can see him living than long. I do no think this would have occurred in he'd used linseed oil instead (the Painter's diet?).
Travis what do you think of overly ripen bananas? You know the classic, blackened skin. Isn't there a breakdown of the starch at that point into sugar?
Yes. You can so tell that the great majority of the starches become free glucose just by tasting how sweet they become at successive ripening stages; however, I wouldn't forecast the glucose to fructose ratio changing significantly. I think it could change to a very minor degree due to spontaneous glucose ⟶ fructose isomerization: Glucose can actually be found in straight-chain form, and then recyclicize as fructose (I get the impression that it does this chemical transvestism because fructose is always more free, and will not tolerate being chained together nearly as often as glucose will. Polyfructose can be found in nature (the fructans), but the unwieldy antiauthoritarian nature of fructose will not tolerate very much restrainment of this sort).

glucose fructose.png

You think about him neglecting the increased refined sugar consumption within the rising of processed food being a partial cause of the problems was part of the same agenda?
It's hard to say about these things. Usually it takes a bit of digging to to be certain about special interests; he also could have simply been confused. I think we all can forget how illogical medical practitioners and professional scientists can be at times; not all of them are really that committed towards finding truth. I think it highly feasible if not certain that food industries sponsor key researchers—or at least 'cheer them on' with gratitude, grants, and gifts (Monsanto and Kevin Folta come to mind)—
but then again: could a man really live to be 100 years of age realizing that his most famous theory served as a distraction while also contributing to thousands of deaths from cancer? [Assuming he knew about how uniquely carcinogenic linoleic acid actually is, strong indications of which had started appearing in the scientific journals by the early '70s.] It seems to me that all unscrupulous people end-up dying younger as they constantly feel the need to ward-off that creeping realization of guilt using drugs, alcohol, or excessive food intake.

Last edited:
EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals