Novak Đoković And His Diet

Jennifer

Kind of? I bought some jarred kimchi from the grocery store and then mixed it with some white rice. It was a little expensive though, so I looked up how to make kimchi on my own and it looks like a big time investment. So now I’m torn between finding a cheaper version or spending some time every week making a ton of kimchi.

Kimchi itself though is so flavorful and packed with adventure. I tried it once back in school but that was in my weird keto days and so I attempted to eat it on its own and found it disgusting. When I tried it today I instantly recognized that it needed to be mixed with rice and then it created the most glorious complement to rice that I had been vainly searching for months.
Thanks for sharing. Kimchi can definitely be pricey. I remember seeing it (I think the brand was Mother In Law's) at the store for $10 and thought that seemed a bit steep for a small jar of fermented cabbage. My brother started making his own and really enjoys it. How interesting that adding it to rice made all the difference for you. I watch a lot of food travel vlogs and have noticed that it's often paired with rice in certain Asian cultures so there must be something about that combination. I've never been much of a rice fan but add some coconut cream, palm sugar and mango to it and I'm in heaven.
Gosh, I had no favourite recipe, I just used it as it is. I won't be lying, I might have eaten it max twice. I no longer eat soy products, that post was from ages ago, I never really liked them.
Gotcha. Thanks anyway! I appreciate you taking the time to answer. :)

schultz

so I looked up how to make kimchi on my own and it looks like a big time investment.

It's not too hard. If you make a bunch at once it's pretty efficient and it should last in the fridge for a very long time. I used to make it before I started doing Peat stuff, which I guess is like 7 years ago now (wow, time flies) It took 2 weeks to ferment from what I remember. I also used to make pickles which were actually the best pickles I've ever had. What was nice about the pickles is they got better as they aged longer in the fridge. My sister once had a 2 year old jar of them in her fridge that I made for her and they tasted amazing, like a buttery flavour. And that recipe involved no vinegar, just salt, water and garlic, and of course the pickles. Oh and I think I added a tannin source. One time I used cherry leaves and another time I used a circular piece of white oak (which I think imparted a nice flavour, like with wine).

Anyway, probably a lactic acid source given that they were sour and there was no vinegar in them. Actually, I just had a thought. It's possible the bacteria could have changed some of the lactic acid into a VFA like butyric acid, hence the buttery flavour.... maybe?!

Edit: By my logic above, the bacteria could have also made acetic acid, which is of course vinegar.

Edit 2: Another thought. Sometimes making an effort to make something instead of buying it helps us appreciate the amount of work involved which allows us to enjoy and appreciate it more when we actually switch back to buying it.

Jennifer

It's not too hard. If you make a bunch at once it's pretty efficient and it should last in the fridge for a very long time. I used to make it before I started doing Peat stuff, which I guess is like 7 years ago now (wow, time flies) It took 2 weeks to ferment from what I remember. I also used to make pickles which were actually the best pickles I've ever had. What was nice about the pickles is they got better as they aged longer in the fridge. My sister once had a 2 year old jar of them in her fridge that I made for her and they tasted amazing, like a buttery flavour. And that recipe involved no vinegar, just salt, water and garlic, and of course the pickles. Oh and I think I added a tannin source. One time I used cherry leaves and another time I used a circular piece of white oak (which I think imparted a nice flavour, like with wine).

Anyway, probably a lactic acid source given that they were sour and there was no vinegar in them. Actually, I just had a thought. It's possible the bacteria could have changed some of the lactic acid into a VFA like butyric acid, hence the buttery flavour.... maybe?!

Edit: By my logic above, the bacteria could have also made acetic acid, which is of course vinegar.

Edit 2: Another thought. Sometimes making an effort to make something instead of buying it helps us appreciate the amount of work involved which allows us to enjoy and appreciate it more when we actually switch back to buying it.
There's this little French bakery I used to frequent that sells grinders at lunchtime and they come with the most amazing pickles. They lack that vinegar flavor that other pickles have and instead taste buttery like you described. I loved them so much I started making my own using just salt and dill. I also get these raw olives that are brined in just salt and they taste buttery, too. I wasn't a fan of olives until I tried these. So good!

schultz

There's this little French bakery I used to frequent that sells grinders at lunchtime and they come with the most amazing pickles. They lack that vinegar flavor that other pickles have and instead taste buttery like you described. I loved them so much I started making my own using just salt and dill. I also get these raw olives that are brined in just salt and they taste buttery, too. I wasn't a fan of olives until I tried these. So good!

Oh of course, dill lol. I put that in as well duh.

I really want to try those olives! Sounds amazing.

Jennifer

Oh of course, dill lol. I put that in as well duh.

I really want to try those olives! Sounds amazing.
Haha! No worries! I'd forget I used dill too if I was as creative as you with my ingredients. Cherry leaves and white oak -- impressive!

I get the olives from here:

Good Faith Farm

schultz

Haha! No worries! I'd forget I used dill too if I was as creative as you with my ingredients. Cherry leaves and white oak -- impressive!

I get the olives from here:

Good Faith Farm

Haha, well it was something about having a tannin source in there. I don't remember why anymore. But white oak does compliment the flavour very well!

Thank you for the link! Might be a nice Christmas idea for my father who loves olives.

Jennifer

Haha, well it was something about having a tannin source in there. I don't remember why anymore. But white oak does compliment the flavour very well!

Thank you for the link! Might be a nice Christmas idea for my father who loves olives.
I'll have to try white oak then. And garlic, too!

You're welcome! :) I hope your dad enjoys them if you decide to give them as a gift.

Vins7

His opponent today was Roger Federer who is 37. I bet Federer eats a diet of something similar in nature. And he played a five hour marathon ‘match of lions’ against Djokovic today. It was a real brutal scrap between two. Quite amazing how a 37 year old that probably eats quite a bit of PUFA has that sort of stamina, yet me (also at 37), who eats correctly (apparently) and has been vigorously reducing PUFA in my tissues for five years cannot even run 100 meters without feeling like I am about to die (hence I don’t do it lol).

Maybe these sportsman just have something in-built in them that makes them way more resilient than the guys (like me) who hang around on this forum. I guess we’re the unlucky ones (health wise).

I also don’t think Djokovic’s age is anything to be scoffed at. He’s 32, which isn’t young for a tennis player. Most players are declining by this age. Especially at the incredible intensity that Djokovic, Nadal (who is mid to late 30’s too) and Federer play at. What’s their secret?

Maybe they are all taking things ‘discreetly’ which doesn’t flag up on modern screenings for things. Not saying they are cheats, but it wouldn’t surprise if most sportsman are taking things to enhance their careers and performances (which don’t show up on tests).
I wouldn't want to disrespect you, but if from a young age you had done all the physical activity that they have done without even a year of rest, I think you would have a physical condition at least similar to theirs. This is not about pufas or what to eat, it is about getting the body used to stress that little by little stops being stress.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals