Sounds like Bear Grylls may have read Peat

Dean

When I was on keto I could only last a few months, because I couldn’t sleep at night from the terrible leg cramps.
Yeah, even without the cramps sleep was difficult- cortisol I presume. Last few times I tried it I was getting cramps in my feet-which I'd never experienced before (legs/calves are bad enough). Could be deteriorating kidney function.

Dean

Grains activate the opioid part of the brain, making us want more. If I start my day with protein and a lot of sugar, and no starches i don’t m think about food much the rest of the day. If I start with a delicious croissant, I crave chips and others carbs all day long.
Sugar though too creates a need for more frequent feeding which likely adds up to more calories in the end. At least for me, carbs put me on the blood sugar rollercoaster which requires more frequent eating, leading to overeating or a constant, pernicious craving to do so. Neither of which is desirable. That's why I keep going back to or considering keto/low carb/or especially carnivore despite the diminishing returns.

Yeah, even without the cramps sleep was difficult- cortisol I presume. Last few times I tried it I was getting cramps in my feet-which I'd never experienced before (legs/calves are bad enough). Could be deteriorating kidney function.
I have never dealt with leg cramps either, before or after that short bought of keto. I am not for all carnivore, but being a vegetarian was even worse. I cannot even fathom vegan.

Dean

I have never dealt with leg cramps either, before or after that short bought of keto. I am not for all carnivore, but being a vegetarian was even worse. I cannot even fathom vegan.
I can and have fathomed vegan. I've tried it all.

Here's to a leg/calf/foot crampless Day for us both.

Lol I suppose if all you ate was starch and no protein you would be skinny but no one does that. Meats and starches are the major components of the vertical diet which helps build muscle mass and improve performance.
Skinny fat people are the vegetarians. The proteins from beans are only a small percentage usable compared to meat. I never had cellulite until i went vegetarian. I was 20 pounds lighter than I am now and still wore the same size clothes. The fat I was storing as a vegetarian was very different, and jiggly. I have written about it in the thread linked below.

redsun

Sugar though too creates a need for more frequent feeding which likely adds up to more calories in the end. At least for me, carbs put me on the blood sugar rollercoaster which requires more frequent eating, leading to overeating or a constant, pernicious craving to do so. Neither of which is desirable. That's why I keep going back to or considering keto/low carb/or especially carnivore despite the diminishing returns.
Sugar definitely does but starch which absorbs as pure glucose keeps you satiated between meals easily at least in my experience. I did notice when I first transitioned from low carbs to suddenly high carbs I would constantly want them. But I think this is partly a psychological effect. The body doesnt know when it will get carbs again so you crave it like crazy. Similar to binge eating disorders where there is a lack of control due to chronic deprivation.

The other issue is you could have blood sugar dysregulation that existed before all of this. Its very common to have this but people mistakenly blame carbs for it. Certain micronutrients can help improve blood sugar regulation such as zinc, manganese, iron, iodine, and B6 (needed to make and break down glycogen).

Suscetibility to cramps is due to electrolyte imbalances. They say keto can reduce your ability to retain potassium but I am not sure about this. Potassium tells the muscles to relax after sodium triggers intracelluar calcium release that makes them contract. Calcium in the blood helps reduce neuromuscular excitability since it naturally competes with sodium ions. Magnesium directly competes with calcium for binding sites in the muscles. You may need more of one or all of these minerals.

Skinny fat people are the vegetarians. The proteins from beans are only a small percentage usable compared to meat. I never had cellulite until i went vegetarian. I was 20 pounds lighter than I am now and still wore the same size clothes. The fat I was storing as a vegetarian was very different, and jiggly. I have written about it in the thread linked below.

Well I agree I am very anti-vegan/vegetarian. It can and often does cause hormonal problems which may affect how you hold fat and can cause excessive water retention.

Sugar though too creates a need for more frequent feeding which likely adds up to more calories in the end.
I agree with what you said above, but the reason that happens is because of the lack of protein with the carbs. Then to have the carbs you add in the fats and there is weight gain. Nobody eats toast, potatoes or oatmeal without fats, and enjoys it. Sugar and carbs without protein crash blood sugar levels unless you keep a steady stream of them going all day, before you crash. Sugar and fruit should not be eaten without pairing it with protein and visa verse, protein should be paired with a sugar source and not eaten alone. You do that and you won’t even think about food until you are hungry, and that kind of hungry doesn’t even feel bad.

Last edited:
“Besides fasting, or chronic protein deficiency, the common causes of hypothyroidism are excessive stress or “aerobic” (i.e. anaerobic) exercise, and diets containing beans, lentils, nuts, unsaturated fats (including carotene), and undercooked broccoli, cauliflower, cabbage, and mustard greens. Many health conscious people become hypothyroid with a synergistic program of undercooked vegetables, legumes instead of animal proteins, oils instead of butter, carotene instead of vitamin A, and breathless exercise instead of stimulating life.” —Ray Peat

LadyRae

Yeah, last time I checked in on Saladino he had added copious quantities of honey but was still talking down dairy and fruit.

I didn't stick with carnivore that long but my energy was never better and gut never flatter, for the reasons you suggest I'm sure.

I did very high protein that first go, but my kidneys could never handle it now. High fat makes it less palatable, less energizing, and thus less sustainable. Plus, I've struggled with cramps and sleep issues in subsequent attempts.

Trouble is that carbs in whatever iteration make me fat, always have. Remembering how great it felt to never be hangry and totally free of cravings is also alluring.
Saladino is eating a LOT of fruit. I subscribe to his channel, and although I don't watch all his stuff, what I do watch is very Peat-ish.

Dean

I agree with what you said above, but that only happens in the absence of protein. Sugar and fruit should not be eaten without pairing it with protein and visa verse, protein should be paired with a sugar source. You do that and you won’t even think about food until you are hungry, and that kind of hungry doesn’t even feel bad.
I got that kind of happy hunger on carnivore only. Even high protein, low carb doesn't spare me. Glad it works for you (protein). My metabolism/ thyroids been broken from the get-go.

Dean

Saladino is eating a LOT of fruit. I subscribe to his channel, and although I don't watch all his stuff, what I do watch is very Peat-ish.
He's evolved over time. He's evolved himself into a corner.

LadyRae

He's evolved over time. He's evolved himself into a corner.
His podcasts/public image is mostly to promote his "Heart and soil" supplements now.... And that's fine. Pretty common for online health influencers.

I eat like Paul now, except for copious amounts of honey though... and along with Peat's articles, all the fruit, organs, and lower stress healed me after keto/IF/intense exercise. Paul's message can hopefully reach more people like me, and get them started on a healthier path.

Dean

His podcasts/public image is mostly to promote his "Heart and soil" supplements now.... And that's fine. Pretty common for online health influencers.

I eat like Paul now, except for copious amounts of honey though... and along with Peat's articles, all the fruit, organs, and lower stress healed me after keto/IF/intense exercise. Paul's message can hopefully reach more people like me, and get them started on a healthier path.
I give him credit for at least being forthright about his evolution. He was pretty dogmatic in his strictly carnivore days though.

I got that kind of happy hunger on carnivore only. Even high protein, low carb doesn't spare me. Glad it works for you (protein). My metabolism/ thyroids been broken from the get-go.
Sorry, I lhad to make corrections in what I originally wrote, I couldn’t even follow what I wrote.

Dutchie

Does he eat meat and fruits/honey nowadays?
Isn't that basically the same as 'meats&sweets' diet from Don Matesz....(though Saladino likely gained much more attention)

LadyRae

Does he eat meat and fruits/honey nowadays?
Isn't that basically the same as 'meats&sweets' diet from Don Matesz....(though Saladino likely gained much more attention)
Yes. Meats (mostly red meat and organs, fruits (he likes papaya, banana, lives in Costa Rica), raw dairy and honey. He spends a lot of time out in the sun and a lot of time in the ocean bobbing around waiting for a wave. His life sounds low stress with lots of sun and healthy food.

Dutchie

Yes. Meats (mostly red meat and organs, fruits (he likes papaya, banana, lives in Costa Rica), raw dairy and honey. He spends a lot of time out in the sun and a lot of time in the ocean bobbing around waiting for a wave. His life sounds low stress with lots of sun and healthy food.
Must be nice to 'live the life' in good health with good foods.

Sugar definitely does but starch which absorbs as pure glucose keeps you satiated between meals easily at least in my experience. I did notice when I first transitioned from low carbs to suddenly high carbs I would constantly want them. But I think this is partly a psychological effect. The body doesnt know when it will get carbs again so you crave it like crazy. Similar to binge eating disorders where there is a lack of control due to chronic deprivation.

The other issue is you could have blood sugar dysregulation that existed before all of this. Its very common to have this but people mistakenly blame carbs for it. Certain micronutrients can help improve blood sugar regulation such as zinc, manganese, iron, iodine, and B6 (needed to make and break down glycogen).

Suscetibility to cramps is due to electrolyte imbalances. They say keto can reduce your ability to retain potassium but I am not sure about this. Potassium tells the muscles to relax after sodium triggers intracelluar calcium release that makes them contract. Calcium in the blood helps reduce neuromuscular excitability since it naturally competes with sodium ions. Magnesium directly competes with calcium for binding sites in the muscles. You may need more of one or all of these minerals.

Well I agree I am very anti-vegan/vegetarian. It can and often does cause hormonal problems which may affect how you hold fat and can cause excessive water retention.
It’s about balance. You need protein from meat. But *some carbs balance it out. *Some vegtables are good for nutrients. Too much carbs too much meat too much fat will make you fat.

I believe it! I remember one time when I was experimenting with foods, about 7 years ago, and I had some canned garbanzo beans, and after I had them, I weighed myself throughout the day, and gained seven pounds by the end of the day. I took pics of my scale for my friend, each time I weighed myself. It was unbelievable the water retention that I experienced that day.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals