Low Toxin Diet Grant Genereux's Theory Of Vitamin A Toxicity

thomas200

So let’s be real here! We are talking about extremes. The idea that vitamin A (retinol) is toxic at low doses such as 5000 IU, 10, 000 IU or even 100,000 IU is very misleading. In fact there are many studies that have shown dosages as high as 300,000 IU per day for a year had no ill effect.

i dont think this information is correct, I am living evidence that a person can be intoxicated after 3.5 months of 30,000 IU vitamin A a day. I've had a relatively low VA consumption before i jumped to 30K IU.

I assume its bc of my low bodyfat

tankasnowgod

Wow even before I knew about this theory there is no way I would venture to say 300,000 IU VA per day for a year isn't toxic. Nope that's just plain stupid unless you are dieing of cancer and have nothing left to lose.

Haidut has posted this study before, showing that people can tolerate doses of 300,000 IU for several months without toxicity symptoms. Vitamin A (retinol) Is Not Toxic To The Liver In High Doses

I've also seen studies that suggest that up 500,000 IU can be administered daily for up to six months (depending on the individual) without any toxicity symptoms, or without controlling for any of the other fat soluble vitamins.

Collden

Don't think so, It's just a problematic drug that also isn't Vitamin A nor Retinol.
Its preeetty similar to the active metabolite of Vitamin A though.

There are dozens of scientific case reports of people suffering from VA intoxication as well.

Collden

Last edited:

InChristAlone

Haidut has posted this study before, showing that people can tolerate doses of 300,000 IU for several months without toxicity symptoms. Vitamin A (retinol) Is Not Toxic To The Liver In High Doses

I've also seen studies that suggest that up 500,000 IU can be administered daily for up to six months (depending on the individual) without any toxicity symptoms, or without controlling for any of the other fat soluble vitamins.
Yeah that's not what the study says.

"The toxicity observed was acceptable and included gastrointestinal symptoms, skin toxicity and headache."

Meaning the dose was too high and was causing toxicity symptoms. But in terms of cancer I guess those symptoms are acceptable. Like I said in my original comment.

postman

Ray peat in his latest interview suggested that polar bear livers contained
Other things that were toxic ,he mentioned algae.
I got the impression that he was scoffing at the idea that the vitamin A
Killed any one.
Wouldn't be the first time he's wrong about something.

Pet Peeve

i dont think this information is correct, I am living evidence that a person can be intoxicated after 3.5 months of 30,000 IU vitamin A a day. I've had a relatively low VA consumption before i jumped to 30K IU.

I assume its bc of my low bodyfat

I have low body fat too. What have your detox experiences been?

tankasnowgod

Its preeetty similar to the active metabolite of Vitamin A though.

There are dozens of scientific case reports of people suffering from VA intoxication as well.

True, and progestins are similar in structure to progesterone, but can have radically different effects in the body.

tankasnowgod

The body makes accutane, or 13-cis-retinoic acid as it's also called.

True, but not in the doses typically administered by prescription accutane. It's a dose hundreds or thousands of times higher than anyone would make naturally.

Collden

True, and progestins are similar in structure to progesterone, but can have radically different effects in the body.
The reported side effects of Accutane are very similar to those of Hypervitaminosis A so why should we assume that Accutane is doing something that overdosing on regular VA can't do?

Tarmander

Hey Guys,

I have added two things to my regimen that seem to be helping with the "detox" symptoms (god I hate the word detox).

I added 50mg of pregnenolone in the morning.

I also added some pineapple (frozen and in a smoothie with strawberry).

I think a cup of pineapple has about 3% of your DV of VA...so pretty low but some is in there. The juice might have even less but I have not sourced a good one yet.

I am not sure yet which is doing more of the work, but I would be curious if anyone adds those things what they experience.

postman

Hey Guys,

I have added two things to my regimen that seem to be helping with the "detox" symptoms (god I hate the word detox).

I added 50mg of pregnenolone in the morning.

I also added some pineapple (frozen and in a smoothie with strawberry).

I think a cup of pineapple has about 3% of your DV of VA...so pretty low but some is in there. The juice might have even less but I have not sourced a good one yet.

I am not sure yet which is doing more of the work, but I would be curious if anyone adds those things what they experience.
Pineapples have lutein, that's what makes them yellow. So you might be detoxing less because you're eating more VA. https://www.researchgate.net/public..._comosus_grown_in_different_counties_of_Kenya

Collden

Whats the deal with things like lutein and xanthophyll (found in gold potatoes)? Grant said they gave him problems but he supplemented for like six weeks before he noticed anything so it cant be that aggrevating.

Orion

The reported side effects of Accutane are very similar to those of Hypervitaminosis A so why should we assume that Accutane is doing something that overdosing on regular VA can't do?

Studies show that for VA to be excreted, large amounts are converted to 13-cis during the process. Getting vitamin A out requires it to be converted to the retinoic forms, accutane probably impairs retin metabolic pathways and stops excretion, but who knows. If you are already overloaded with beta-carotene storage, and retinol storage, accutane is just more fuel on the fire.

Orion

Whats the deal with things like lutein and xanthophyll (found in gold potatoes)? Grant said they gave him problems but he supplemented for like six weeks before he noticed anything so it cant be that aggrevating.

I did 4 months of very low VA, with ~100IU coming in form carotenoids(white fruits, oats, banana), once I dropped these for the last 3months, I dealt with more aggressive detox flares, so they were stalling or holding me back. Very close to 7 months now, continuing improvements, getting VA out is a slow journey.

Since Grant was taken it in supplement form, it was more like high dose carotenoids, it crept up on him, but set him back a lot.

Dolomite

Forum Supporter
I did 4 months of very low VA, with ~100IU coming in form carotenoids(white fruits, oats, banana), once I dropped these for the last 3months, I dealt with more aggressive detox flares, so they were stalling or holding me back. Very close to 7 months now, continuing improvements, getting VA out is a slow journey.

Since Grant was taken it in supplement form, it was more like high dose carotenoids, it crept up on him, but set him back a lot.
I agree that eating fruits and white corn with lutein and zeaxanthin might keep a person from more uncomfortable detox symptoms. I can tell by my skin that I don’t have as much beta carotene stored but I wonder if I have made a dent in removing any vitamin a stored in my liver. I will have to try lowering the fruit consumption as a trial soon.
I always thought my bloodshot, reddish rimmed eyes were normal but now I look closely at everyone’s eyes and see bright whites and no reddishness to the eyelash area. When I see improvement in my eyes I think I will be over the hump in depletion. At least that is what I am hoping. Even so I am very pleased with what has gotten better so far.

postman

Hmm. I was hoping the lutein wasn't that high but thats decent. Did we ever come down on lutein vs vitamin A? Seems like some people could handle, others couldn't
Everyone has a different level of tolerance I guess. If you tolerate things like yellow potatoes and yellowish/brown grains you'll probably tolerate pineapple. But with the decreased detox you experienced, I suspect that might just be because you increased your intake of VA. But who knows.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals