What Supplements To Take?

cyclops

Selenium is one of the most common deficiencies. It's also one of the most important for thyroid function and protecting against lipid peroxidation, and one of the most powerful antioxidants in the body. Among many other functions, it really is the super mineral.

Selenium is definitely great and important, but I think Vinero was saying we can get enough of it from eating certain foods.

inthedark

IMO taking that many supplements isn't sustainable or healing in the long term. To answer your question though, there seems to be a few main supplements here that there is some consensus about. Many people including myself seem to benefit from supplemtal Vitamin K2 and Magnesium as these can be quite difficult to eat enough of in the diet. Vitamin D is a common one as well, but this would depend on the amount of sunlight you're getting year round.

My approach to supplements is based on how much of each nutrient I get in my diet and deficiencies I may have. I have a core of 2-5 things I take frequently (daily-weekly) depending on time of year and stress levels. I've probably got another 10-15 things in the medicine cabinet to address specific issues that come up or to use as prophylactics or to take sporadically (progesterone and thyroid, methylene blue etc).

I think that taking large amounts of supplements frequently messes with cravings and hunger signals from my body that are there to let me know what I really need in whole food form. The idea isn't just to throw everything in there indiscriminately, it's to correct potential chronic shortages and imbalances that my body makes me aware of through symptoms and to helpfully contribute to healing the underlying issues.

dbh25

currently take:

melatonin
zinc
magnesium
multivitamin
greens
beta-alanine
progesterone/pregnenolone/dhea
whey/casein protein
amino acids
citrulline malate
pre workout/caffeine
NAC
NR
Omega 3 from Krill Oil
VITAMIN D
Iodine
Creatine

Brain:
acetylcholine
glutamate
niacin
SAM-E

Dopamine:
pea
uridine
N-Acetyl L-Tyrosine
L-Dopa/Mucuna Pruriens

Other:
Probiotics
coq10
Digestive Enzymes/proteolytic Enzymes
PQQ
mitoq
D-Ribose

Any opinions am I missing any important supplements?
All of these, every day?

raypeatclips

Can red light take the place of vitamin D?

No, the body doesn't make vitamin D from red light. You'd need a UVB lamp for that. Red light itself is still good though, very nice and relaxing to sit under. Best case scenario would be getting lots of sun exposure though, which has red light benefits, as well as vitamin D.

L

lollipop

I always think food contains a lot of the co factors for things that keep everything in balance. How oysters has zinc and copper, and people taking zinc for extended periods often start talking about issues with copper. Liver containing A as well as a whole host of other B vitamins, and I believe peat thinks it contains E and K that isn't reported on the usual nutrition websites. I think if someone has a verified deficiency of a vitamin, then that vitamin could be good. Or if someone has a specific health problem such as cancer and using niacinamide against it, then that's great. Maybe K as the difference between whats in food and how much you can get from supplements is big.

But I'm beginning to think getting as much nutritious food into the diet as possible, and letting the body work the rest out is the answer. There are people that have lived over 110 that don't take long lists of strange supplements, there must be more to health than supplements, and I think there is.

A lot of the people on this forum that seem to be doing well health wise aren't taking loads of supplements. Maybe just a couple of smart decisions, or taking them when needed.
+1 agree with this post and strategy.

MrSmart

Selenium is definitely great and important, but I think Vinero was saying we can get enough of it from eating certain foods.

Yes you can. This is why I said it comes second, because not all people take enough.

Obi-wan

Maybe a better question would be what supplements shouldn't I take...read this forum and open your eyes...use Wikipedia to educate yourself (RDA)...even the type of supplement, synthetic or raw material makes a big difference...also how it is packaged...in PUFA?

kayumochi

Vitamin D3 cured me of recurring respiratory infections and Vitamin K stopped gum recession in its tracks as well as preventing bruising caused by aspirin intake. And while I was never "going bald" my hair was shedding in a way I had never seen before. After adding niacinamide, taurine, MB, aspirin, crypro and taking either collagen or gelatin more regularly than I already was seems to be the cause of shedding not only stopping but my hair becoming thicker and fuller.

inthedark

Vitamin D3 cured me of recurring respiratory infections and Vitamin K stopped gum recession in its tracks as well as preventing bruising caused by aspirin intake. And while I was never "going bald" my hair was shedding in a way I had never seen before. After adding niacinamide, taurine, MB, aspirin, crypro and taking either collagen or gelatin more regularly than I already was seems to be the cause of shedding not only stopping but my hair becoming thicker and fuller.

I saw you post this in an earlier thread, I'm very curious about the vitamin D treatment. What dose did you use for your recurring infection?

kayumochi

I saw you post this in an earlier thread, I'm very curious about the vitamin D treatment. What dose did you use for your recurring infection?

Vitamin D levels measured 29 at one time and have been as high at 110 and my dosage has been all over the place. I have found the Stoss Method helpful when I felt another infection coming on: Single high-dose oral vitamin D3 (stoss) therapy — A solution to vitamin D deficiency in children with cystic fibrosis? - ScienceDirect

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals
Back
Top Bottom