Vitamins E, A, C Can Be Bad For Cancer Patients

Pompadour

This study looks alarming, giving using of vitamins E and other among members of the forum

https://ascopubs.org/doi/abs/10.1200/JCO.19.01203
PURPOSE

Despite reported widespread use of dietary supplements during cancer treatment, few empirical data with regard to their safety or efficacy exist. Because of concerns that some supplements, particularly antioxidants, could reduce the cytotoxicity of chemotherapy, we conducted a prospective study ancillary to a therapeutic trial to evaluate associations between supplement use and breast cancer outcomes.

METHODS

Patients with breast cancer randomly assigned to an intergroup metronomic trial of cyclophosphamide, doxorubicin, and paclitaxel were queried on their use of supplements at registration and during treatment (n =1,134). Cox proportional hazards regression adjusting for clinical and lifestyle variables was used. Recurrence and survival were indexed at 6 months after enrollment using a landmark approach.

RESULTS

There were indications that use of any antioxidant supplement (vitamins A, C, and E; carotenoids; coenzyme Q10) both before and during treatment was associated with an increased hazard of recurrence (adjusted hazard ratio [adjHR], 1.41; 95% CI, 0.98 to 2.04; P = .06) and, to a lesser extent, death (adjHR, 1.40; 95% CI, 0.90 to 2.18; P = .14). Relationships with individual antioxidants were weaker perhaps because of small numbers. For nonantioxidants, vitamin B12 use both before and during chemotherapy was significantly associated with poorer disease-free survival (adjHR, 1.83; 95% CI, 1.15 to 2.92; P < .01) and overall survival (adjHR, 2.04; 95% CI, 1.22 to 3.40; P < .01). Use of iron during chemotherapy was significantly associated with recurrence (adjHR, 1.79; 95% CI, 1.20 to 2.67; P < .01) as was use both before and during treatment (adjHR, 1.91; 95% CI, 0.98 to 3.70; P = .06). Results were similar for overall survival. Multivitamin use was not associated with survival outcomes.

Coderr

What form of vitamin E was this research written? Does that apply to tocotrienols?

schultz

So don't take 'antioxidant' supplements whilst also getting irradiated? Noted. I don't plan on ever getting chemotherapy so it looks like I am safe.

B

Braveheart

I have been successful overcoming blood cancer (leukemia) with Artemisinin...it is a pro-oxidant...one of the prerequisites is to not take antioxidants at the same time. While we typically hear about the benefits of anti-oxidants for health, there are certain instances where promoting oxidation can be beneficial. Cancer researchers are looking at compounds that provide a pro-oxidant effect when they encounter cancer cells.

Jkbp

Forum Supporter
my mother beat lung cancer 3 times and kept it at bay for the better part of 22 years, by taking artemisinin.

I have been successful overcoming blood cancer (leukemia) with Artemisinin...it is a pro-oxidant...one of the prerequisites is to not take antioxidants at the same time. While we typically hear about the benefits of anti-oxidants for health, there are certain instances where promoting oxidation can be beneficial. Cancer researchers are looking at compounds that provide a pro-oxidant effect when they encounter cancer cells.

Vinny

my mother beat lung cancer 3 times and kept it at bay for the better part of 22 years, by taking artemisinin.
Amazing ...

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Wow!!! Incredible!

tankasnowgod

So don't take 'antioxidant' supplements whilst also getting irradiated? Noted. I don't plan on ever getting chemotherapy so it looks like I am safe.

You might even be able to take it during irradiation and be fine! Just don't say you take A, C or E on a medical survery. That's really the only thing they tested.

Jkbp

Forum Supporter
My mom also took MANY antioxidants daily throughout the 22 years, including during treatments. The only vit A she took would have been from a one-a-day multi. I would need to check her list to see if she took extra E. She eventually lost her battle with lung cancer last July, after being cancer free for another 5 years. I’m embarrassed to say it, but she smoked until a few weeks before she died. She and I both know that the artemisinin and antioxidants kept her alive all those extra years. She would take the artemisinin for 6-8 weeks, leading up to her every six month CT scan

Amazing ...

B

Braveheart

Artemisinin has an extremely short half life...so yes, antioxidants can be taken ...but away from the Artemisinin dose.

InChristAlone

IV Vitamin C is effective not as an antioxidant but because it then becomes an oxidant right?

RWilly

because of concerns that some supplements, particularly antioxidants, could reduce the cytotoxicity of chemotherapy

"could reduce the cytotoxicity of chemotherapy" is the key phrase here.

So don't take 'antioxidant' supplements whilst also getting irradiated?

Exactly.

Noted. I don't plan on ever getting chemotherapy so it looks like I am safe.

That's what I figure too. I just stay away from doctors. Sometimes I wonder why I'm paying that hefty health insurance bill every month. (I suppose it's because if I fall off a ladder, it'll cost something like $10,000 to get cast, and if I have an overnight hospital stay, I'm probably paying $50K.)

Last edited:

Gone Peating

I had an uber driver once who told me that breathing pure oxygen is the best treatment for cancer

RWilly

Glad you have been successful!! Were you doing chemo at the same time? (Wondering what conditions pro-oxidants work best in.)

B

Braveheart

Glad you have been successful!! Were you doing chemo at the same time? (Wondering what conditions pro-oxidants work best in.)
would never do chemo...research it...looks like they work best by themselves..

dannibo

This study looks alarming, giving using of vitamins E and other among members of the forum

https://ascopubs.org/doi/abs/10.1200/JCO.19.01203
PURPOSE

Despite reported widespread use of dietary supplements during cancer treatment, few empirical data with regard to their safety or efficacy exist. Because of concerns that some supplements, particularly antioxidants, could reduce the cytotoxicity of chemotherapy, we conducted a prospective study ancillary to a therapeutic trial to evaluate associations between supplement use and breast cancer outcomes.

METHODS

Patients with breast cancer randomly assigned to an intergroup metronomic trial of cyclophosphamide, doxorubicin, and paclitaxel were queried on their use of supplements at registration and during treatment (n =1,134). Cox proportional hazards regression adjusting for clinical and lifestyle variables was used. Recurrence and survival were indexed at 6 months after enrollment using a landmark approach.

RESULTS

There were indications that use of any antioxidant supplement (vitamins A, C, and E; carotenoids; coenzyme Q10) both before and during treatment was associated with an increased hazard of recurrence (adjusted hazard ratio [adjHR], 1.41; 95% CI, 0.98 to 2.04; P = .06) and, to a lesser extent, death (adjHR, 1.40; 95% CI, 0.90 to 2.18; P = .14). Relationships with individual antioxidants were weaker perhaps because of small numbers. For nonantioxidants, vitamin B12 use both before and during chemotherapy was significantly associated with poorer disease-free survival (adjHR, 1.83; 95% CI, 1.15 to 2.92; P < .01) and overall survival (adjHR, 2.04; 95% CI, 1.22 to 3.40; P < .01). Use of iron during chemotherapy was significantly associated with recurrence (adjHR, 1.79; 95% CI, 1.20 to 2.67; P < .01) as was use both before and during treatment (adjHR, 1.91; 95% CI, 0.98 to 3.70; P = .06). Results were similar for overall survival. Multivitamin use was not associated with survival outcomes.
If you believe that vitamins interfere with poison chemotherapy that is in fact useless then your mind needs retuned.

Vinny

If you believe that vitamins interfere with poison chemotherapy that is in fact useless then your mind needs retuned.
She has not said so far, that she believed in it. That's purely your assumption that she had, and your post sounds kinda rude.

LucyL

There were indications that use of any antioxidant supplement (vitamins A, C, and E; carotenoids; coenzyme Q10) both before and during treatment was associated with an increased hazard of recurrence (adjusted hazard ratio [adjHR], 1.41; 95% CI, 0.98 to 2.04; P = .06) and, to a lesser extent, death (adjHR, 1.40; 95% CI, 0.90 to 2.18; P = .14). Relationships with individual antioxidants were weaker perhaps because of small numbers.

These statements are contradictory enough that one should really read the full study before considering any modifications based on it.

LucyL

haidut posted some old studies recently, some about Vitamin E, and the post contained this quote:
First, note that none of studies with vitamin E refer to it as an "antioxidant" - something mainstream medicine has spent billions to try to convince the public about. All of the studies in this post refer to vitamin E as an "anti-sterility vitamin", as Peat himself also mentioned quite a few times. This gives a clue to the possible mechanism of action for the benefit of vitamin E and (methyl) testosterone. Namely, opposition to estrogen. The anti-sterility effects of vitamin E are well-known to be linked to the powerful anti-estrogenic effects of this vitamin.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals