Ukraine Crisis

OP
L

LeeLemonoil

Zelensky admitted to heavy losses in Donbas. Daily losses 50-100 soldiers. Saying it in context of not granting a petition that seeked admission for Ukrainian men to leave Ukraine (!)

Also, ISW Daily updated adopt another tone, confirming a lot of the Russian advances we read about elsewhere these last few days.

Russia hasn’t given up on Kharkiv is my impression. They maintain positions around and reinforce them. My take is they wager on taking Donbas and in the process isolating Kharkiv for either taking or later or making it subject to negotiations. It’s highly unlikely that integrating Kharkiv into Russia or making it autonomous is not a Russian goal.

Southfront reports rumors that two polish battalions have left Kiev (sic) for Donbas.

Also, regarding ISW: there sources now are increasingly „Russian milbloggers“ or mostly Facebook posts from Ukrainian general staff. The former they ignored for most parts or denied their claims, the latter is not a reliable source

Hugh Johnson

Zelensky admitted to heavy losses in Donbas. Daily losses 50-100 soldiers. Saying it in context of not granting a petition that seeked admission for Ukrainian men to leave Ukraine (!)

Also, ISW Daily updated adopt another tone, confirming a lot of the Russian advances we read about elsewhere these last few days.

Russia hasn’t given up on Kharkiv is my impression. They maintain positions around and reinforce them. My take is they wager on taking Donbas and in the process isolating Kharkiv for either taking or later or making it subject to negotiations. It’s highly unlikely that integrating Kharkiv into Russia or making it autonomous is not a Russian goal.

Southfront reports rumors that two polish battalions have left Kiev (sic) for Donbas.

Also, regarding ISW: there sources now are increasingly „Russian milbloggers“ or mostly Facebook posts from Ukrainian general staff. The former they ignored for most parts or denied their claims, the latter is not a reliable source
Kharkov is mostly Ukrainian these days. So taking it is probably not worth it. Other areas are likely to join voluntarily, Odessa is so valuable that it might be taken even if the population does want to join Russia. But Kharkov is not, and dealing with a hostile population is very expensive.

Surrounding it so you have a better negotiation position does make sense.

Perry Staltic

Last edited:

rockarolla

Representatives of the Ukrainian territorial defense continue to complain to Zelenskyy in video clips that they have nothing more than machine guns, and ask to immediately send them the military prosecutor's office.

This people does not realize their role in this war.

Their main task is not to fight, but simply be a bait for Russian artillery. Behind them in the rear are counter-battery radars - they detect Russian positions and give target designation for UA artillery.

The only chance for such groups to survive is when, instead of artillery, the territorial defense meets with a group of Special Forces, because then someone will be taken as a POW, but in the vast majority of cases they are simply torn apart by artillery. Not a single fox hole they are trying to dig for themselves protects against 152mm caliber, and Russia massively uses as much as 203mm (2S7 Pion).

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kMXVOG4hGjg

Hugh Johnson

Representatives of the Ukrainian territorial defense continue to complain to Zelenskyy in video clips that they have nothing more than machine guns, and ask to immediately send them the military prosecutor's office.

This people does not realize their role in this war.

Their main task is not to fight, but simply be a bait for Russian artillery. Behind them in the rear are counter-battery radars - they detect Russian positions and give target designation for UA artillery.

The only chance for such groups to survive is when, instead of artillery, the territorial defense meets with a group of Special Forces, because then someone will be taken as a POW, but in the vast majority of cases they are simply torn apart by artillery. Not a single fox hole they are trying to dig for themselves protects against 152mm caliber, and Russia massively uses as much as 203mm (2S7 Pion).

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kMXVOG4hGjg

Everyone knows infantry dies so that artillery knows where to shoot. But Ukraine does not have much artillery left, and can not shell Russian positions. So it is just Ukrainians dying, with the occasional rocked hitting Russians.

Dave_Fit

It’s highly unlikely that integrating Kharkiv into Russia or making it autonomous is not a Russian goal.
Is this another way to say the sentence above " It's highly likely that integrating Kharkiv into Russia or making it autonomous is a Russian goal." Just trying to make sure I understood that thought correctly. Enjoying your analysis.

Perry Staltic

Is this another way to say the sentence above " It's highly likely that integrating Kharkiv into Russia or making it autonomous is a Russian goal." Just trying to make sure I understood that thought correctly. Enjoying your analysis.

I would say not only a goal, but an imperative simply because it's too close to the Russian border to leave in enemy hands.

OP
L

LeeLemonoil

Thank you. It’s all just guesswork mind, based on a limited scope of sources from all sides.

Yes, that’s what I meant to say. For the reasons Perry gave:

I would say not only a goal, but an imperative simply because it's too close to the Russian border to leave in enemy hands.

@Hugh Johnson also has a valid point that both taking and securing a major city is extremely Ressource consuming. That’s why Russia likely won’t do it and can’t do it at the Moment. But given Kharkivs location it can be isolated from Ukrainian supply.

Kharkiv was a very pro-Russian city before the war, I‘m sure Russia will try everything it can to exert influence there, in whichever way.

I got the impression that the battle for Donbas has been decided for Russia now, just a matter of time.

Situation around Cherson? Unknown to me. Lots of possible scenarios. Could be Ukraine will focus all it has, including wespons arriving from the west, to drive Russians off there.
Could be Russia is very prepared for that at that time.
A lot will depend on how a loss in Donbas affects Ukrainian operationability and morale.

Hugh had another good point: this state of conflict allows Russia to bombard Ukraine with aviation and missiles as long as and where it pleases (unless Ukrainian AA gets reinforced substantially
).
If it can’t secure every tactical goal on the ground, it can make Ukraine a ruined state by destroying all crucial infrastructure. In the process this will cause a huge burden on Europe, destabilizing it.

Odessa and Dmjepro Are interesting. Maybe Russia one day will opt to destroy odessas port and infrastructure completely, to cut of Ukraine’s sea acces - if they can’t conquer it. Same for dnjepros economical and agricultural hub-facilities.

I still think Russia will dig in once they secured the Donbas fortifications.

Last edited:

rockarolla

1653338771148.png

Instagram and YouTube have recognized the publications / hashtags "Azov" as unacceptable and are deleting everything related to it.
And the wives of the Azov residents are asked not to publish photos / videos where their "heroes" mock / kill wounded soldiers.

Drareg

View attachment 37078

Instagram and YouTube have recognized the publications / hashtags "Azov" as unacceptable and are deleting everything related to it.
And the wives of the Azov residents are asked not to publish photos / videos where their "heroes" mock / kill wounded soldiers.
"recognized" more like made their profits from it and now need to reframe it to make it seem like they were fooled, then they will make profit from criticising it.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals
Back
Top Bottom