Tobacco Smoke And It's Effect On PUFA

ilikecats

I think he said a little nicotine... not tobacco. He says smoke is carcinogenic and estrogenic.

OP
BigYellowLemon
@Aspekt Interesting...

@schultz That's also interesting, good find. Makes sense. Were these men having their blood drawn while smoking? If so I bet it potentiated any increase in stress hormones.

@Jarman Did your uncle try to quit before he developed lung cancer?

Do you think there were contributing factors besides smoking that might've caused it?

-

And yes Ray was talking about nicotine. He has said that tobacco smoke isn't good, but I'm not sure how much he studied it, he probably took it as a given that smoking is inherently bad. I wonder if he knows about the levels of CO2 in tobacco smoke, and I wonder if that would change his mind.

Jarman

@BigYellowLemon he tried to quit many times before diagnosed with lung cancer but always came back to it. Tried the nicotine patches, went cold turkey and all kinds of methods out there. None of them worked for him.

As far as diet and lifestyle, not that I can think of. Medium sized, not too overweight not skinny. Ate relatively healthy food like vegetables, meat, bread, potatoes, some cheese, milk, fruits. He wasn't alcohol drinker. He never liked it and I've never seen him drank one.

tyler

these are cigars aren't they?
Hestia is wrapped with tobacco, not paper. So it technically makes them a cigar.. However it definitely smokes more like a cigarette. They are super smooth, very tasty. only downside is that they're hard to drag. I usually nick off a bit of their filter and it fixes the problem.

javin

To bypass whatever damaging effects of the smoke/combustion, I recommend rapé, a form of tobacco snuff from South America, used for thousands of years as medicine. It's self-blown deep up into the nose using a v-shaped applicator pipe or done with a partner. It typically uses a more potent strain of tobacco (rustica I think), and also contains other herbs/plants depending on the blend. In the right dose, I find it to be very grounding/mentally cleansing/clearing of mental chatter.

ilikecats

Why does nicotine (in any form) make my body hair(specifically armpit and pubic hair) fall out? Anyone know? @tyw @BigYellowLemon I've observed this effect over quite an extended period of time and I have experimented a lot. I know it's from the nicotine.

OP
BigYellowLemon
Why does nicotine (in any form) make my body hair(specifically armpit and pubic hair) fall out? Anyone know? @tyw @BigYellowLemon I've observed this effect over quite an extended period of time and I have experimented a lot. I know it's from the nicotine.

Vasoconstriction would be my best bet otherwise I have no idea. Maybe it messes with your hair's growing phases.

ilikecats

Yeah, that's probably it. I really love nicotine but that problem is worrisome and a deal breaker for me. It's really been the most potent anti stress substance I've ever tried. I'm still using snus but I've decreased my dosage significantly.

OP
BigYellowLemon
Yeah, that's probably it. I really love nicotine but that problem is worrisome and a deal breaker for me. It's really been the most potent anti stress substance I've ever tried. I'm still using snus but I've decreased my dosage significantly.

So only your pubic and armpit hair, not the hair on your scalp?

Why is that a dealbreaker?

OP
BigYellowLemon
It's really interesting that when I first started smoking, I thought tobacco had beneficial effects because of it's HDAC inhibition, superoxide dismutase/catalse/glutathion upregulation, MAO-B inhibition, increase of DHEA and pregnenolone, but now I think of all those things as superficial, not really enough to warrant smoking.

But now a year later I find out tobacco has such high amounts of CO2 and inhibits PUFA synthesis, and now I have new reasons to smoke.

Strange.

Stryker

i invested in a storz and bickel vape and some american spirit.. and well lets just say it paid itself off in more ways than one in just a month

TheHound

head hair or just body hair? I believe I remember a post saying that Ray Peat shed some body hair after taking thyroid hormone. can't find where the source is though

schultz

head hair or just body hair? I believe I remember a post saying that Ray Peat shed some body hair after taking thyroid hormone. can't find where the source is though

Never heard that one before. I have heard him say that when he took Progesterone he wouldn't have to shave everyday.

ilikecats

Well my hair on my scalp seems like at thins temporarily after I take nicotine. But it just makes it kind of brittle.... but the body hair loss is weird idk. I'm having a hard time understanding it.

ilikecats

It's really the most anti estrogenic substance I've experimented with so I've continued to use it but at a lower dose.

OP
BigYellowLemon
Okay so I have been thinking about it further.

If you do smoke, you should probably use a filter.

That way you get the CO2 and vaporized alkaloids but you avoid the soot and particulates.

Cotton should be fine but I trust charcoal more for some reason. Most big brand cigarettes have shitty filters but you shouldn't be smoking those anyways.

The main danger with tobacco I see is:

1. The hot smoke - low-reward PUFA oxidation in your lungs.

2. The particulates/soot - needs no explanation.

3. The carbon monoxide - still not convinced exogenous carbon monoxide, even at low doses, would be good. Sure, carbon monoxide is an important and possibly essential part of metabolism and health, but that doesn't mean adding more from outside would help. I'd rather my mitochondria make it themselves rather than inhale it. However, humans have been using fire for a while so maybe it's not so bad.

All the heavy metals and other poisons (formeldahyde, ect) people harp on about probably have no impact in reality, they are in such small amounts that I wouldn't be that scared. Though I'd have to research a bit more until I'm completely comfortable with that.

I am extremely suspicious of how smoking effects human because of how hard the US government pushes anti-smoking propaganda.

In case you are from another country and are thus unaware, the propaganda and stigma against smoking tobacco in the US is HUGE, especially for the younger generations (my generation).

People I know will literally yell out their car windows at people who are smoking. Smokers are looked at as scum of the earth. Specifically it's cigarettes that people don't like. As long as it's not a cigarette it's generally fine.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals