Tobacco Smoke And It's Effect On PUFA

OP
BigYellowLemon
yup , nictoine felt more systemic... solanine felt focused in the gut, i was hoping i would pass out or die because that was absolutely excruciating

I don't understand why the glycoalkaloids in the potato are poisonous.

It's a saponin. So basically a sugar moiety connected to a steroidal alkaloid. The steroidal alkaloids looks a lot like cholesterol.

I don't understand why solanine is poisonous. Sugar + cholesterol should be great, amirite?

Obviously it's not so simple...

Solanidine could have an effect resembling estrogen instead of a beneficial steroid like progesterone. Perhaps it's unsaturated. I don't have enough drive to check.

Some saponins seem to have beneficial effects, like the saponins in gynostemma and ginseng.

Saponin - Wikipedia

In the body saponins are hydrolized and the moiety's are split. So in solanines case, it's split into glycosides and solanidine.

Maybe low doses are benficial in some way. So maybe eating potatoes low in glycoalkaloids would give some beneficial effect. I honestly don't think that's the case but maybe.

Speaking of potatoes, I want this variety...

Someone should really knockout the genes producing glycoalkaloids in potatoes.

sladerunner69

Basically cigarette smoke effects the conversion of shorter PUFA's to longer PUFA's. I really have no idea what this would mean in the live organism. The ROS from the cigarette smoke might balance out or it might not with the effects it has on PUFA said:
A longer pufa would be clsoer to a saturated fatty acid chain. Conceivably this would be beneficial, but the estrogenic effects of cigarette smoke likely outweigh any benefit, and at best they would cancel each other out. Also inhaling smoke does mutate lung cells and leave permanent damage from so called "black" particles according to my research.

Jsaute21

If by pufa depletion, you mean low fat, I wouldn't recommend it.

Low fat and tobacco is an awful combination, in my experience. I'm a regular smoker and in combination with a super low fat diet, cigarettes gave me a low mood, jitters, nervous feeling... one cigarette had me feeling like I had just ripped a hookah for a half hour.

However the buzz provided without restricted fat intake is a totally different experience. Mellow, uplifting, makes me sociable, etc.

Interesting, Tyler. What Cigs do you smoke? I have trouble finding tobacco products without ***t fillers, but i still almost always feel good on tobacco.

tyler

Interesting, Tyler. What Cigs do you smoke? I have trouble finding tobacco products without ***t fillers, but i still almost always feel good on tobacco.
Today actually marks one month free of tobacco for me!
I smoked hestia and spirits and occasionally camel blues.. o_O
I recommend hestia if you're looking for a clean product. They are an awesome company. (That feels weird to say about a tobacco brand)

No minimum dose for damage by carbon monoxide *as per Ray Peat*

Jsaute21

Today actually marks one month free of tobacco for me!
I smoked hestia and spirits and occasionally camel blues.. o_O
I recommend hestia if you're looking for a clean product. They are an awesome company. (That feels weird to say about a tobacco brand)

Haha. I appreciate the reference. And congrats, man. Sorry to bring up something that you are in the midst of quitting. Kind of shitty timing on my part. Hestia looks awesome.

TubZy

anyone notice an increase in libido after smoking/snus/nicotine gum? I always notice it, even prior to peating way back in highschool/college.

I also tried 4mg of nicotine gum after a small meal and I felt really good followed by cold extremities. Prob way too much stimulation causing stress response. Cigarettes never did that to me.

jyb

anyone notice an increase in libido after smoking/snus/nicotine gum? I always notice it, even prior to peating way back in highschool/college.

I also tried 4mg of nicotine gum after a small meal and I felt really good followed by cold extremities. Prob way too much stimulation causing stress response. Cigarettes never did that to me.

Re libido increase: no, for me it is like for other dopamine like boosters, it removes sexual desire. I notice this seems this be a common experience reported by users experimenting with euphoric substances. However, it does stimulate my mind in other ways with mood and creativity (although not as well as other things).

Re snus: cold extremeties are caused by nicotine vasoconstriction, I don't think "stress response" is an accurate description. You get less nicotine and in a different way with cigs, the cigs nicotine stays much less longer in the body. Also cigs have a lot more than just nicotine, overall cigs can have a really different outcome on the mind/libido/temperature.

I don't use nicotine because I get more side effects (vasoconstriction like you) and less mind stimulation compared to other euphoric substances.

Last edited:

Energizer

The broad ranging therapeutic effects of pure tobacco make me think overall it is beneficial substance, despite the blustering to the contrary. The only major downside is smokers are treated like lepers in most places nowadays, at least in the US. Also, I don't think filters are good, you have to inhale deeper with them to draw out the smoke which defeats the purpose.

Jsaute21

yeah i know that feeling.... somedays when stressed to the balls like not having eaten or less than 4 hours sleep or whatever. Two drags of a cigarette would absolutely floor me. Cold sweats, tunnel vision , sense of impensing doom , ringing ears etc. LOL

IMO i think its just the metbolic enhancing effects of tobacco pushing your body too far when it cant handle it
what type of tobacco do you indulge in? Smokes?

cyclops

The broad ranging therapeutic effects of pure tobacco make me think overall it is beneficial substance, despite the blustering to the contrary.

Woohoo! This + another thread saying alcohol isn't too bad actually. Let the party begin!

X3CyO

Okay so I have been thinking about it further.

If you do smoke, you should probably use a filter.

I am extremely suspicious of how smoking effects human because of how hard the US government pushes anti-smoking propaganda.

Yeah, but wouldnt that lead to less inflammation, and slower recovery from cigarettes?
People are more likely to inhale tobacco into the lungs as deeply with filtered vs non filtered.

In my mind I look at it like stepping on sand vs rocks. Theyre both bad, but youre less likely to step with a heavy foot on rock vs sand unless heavily conditioned prior. Reminds me of a study I read back on people who smoked cigars and whether they inhaled or not. The people who only smoked cigars didnt inhale, and the people who smoked cigarettes as well always inhaled albeit just a little (even though they didnt think they did.)

mujuro

Cigarettes may increase lipid peroxidation, and may increase ROS, which I am not a fan of, but they might also balance out.

IIRC, @Travis has opined that vitamin E is (one of) the most important protective substances against the damages inflicted by various nitrogen species during tobacco smoking.

Last edited:

Travis

IIRC, @Travis has opined that vitamin E is (one of) the most important protective substances against the damages inflicted by various nitrogen species during tobacco smoking.

Gamma-tocopherol, specifically, has been shown to adduct with peroxynitrite (ONOO⁻) and nitrogen dioxide (ṄO₂). Alpha-tocopherol cannot do this despite it's ability to safely contain free radical electrons and inhibit lipid peroxidation, and this is because it already has a fully-substituted phenyl aspect of its chromanol ring. Gamma- and δ-tocopherols both have a space at the #5 carbon, which lends them the ability to sacrificially prevent protein nitration at their own expense. Consider this:

Christen, Stephan. "γ-Tocopherol traps mutagenic electrophiles such as NOx and complements α-tocopherol: physiological implications." Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences (1997)

Landino, Lisa. "Peroxynitrite, the coupling product of nitric oxide and superoxide, activates prostaglandin biosynthesis." Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences (1996)

Jiang, Qing. "γ-Tocopherol and its major metabolite, in contrast to α-tocopherol, inhibit cyclooxygenase activity in macrophages and epithelial cells." Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences (2000)

Jiang, Qing. "γ-Tocopherol supplementation inhibits protein nitration and ascorbate oxidation in rats with inflammation." Free Radical Biology and Medicine (2002)

Leonard, Scott. "5-Nitro-γ-tocopherol increases in human plasma exposed to cigarette smoke in vitro and in vivo." Free Radical Biology and Medicine (2003)

OP
BigYellowLemon
What cigs do you smoke?
None nowadays, haven't in nearly a year, but my daily brand was American Spirits. Smoked those for about 1.5-2 years, first year I woud tear off the filters and smoke em raw. They're a lot stronger that way.

In actuality American Spirits were far from my favourite brand in terms of experience - they last ******* forever, are way too potent, and taste way too strong. But the organic tag was enough to get me to compromise with them, as they lacked a lot of the BS chemicals other cigs have (like formaldehyde), and I did notice that smoking Marlboro's daily would have side effects when Spirits did not (I would feel lousy on the average cig while I wouldn't on Spirits).

If you're gonna smoke, my suggestion would be to find a brand of organic whole leaf light cig tobacco (if you have the money get it tested for heavy metals), get a cig machine, papers, and charcoal fiters, and make your own cigs for extremely cheap.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals