The World’s Oldest Family Claims Eating Oatmeal Twice Daily Is The Secret

Clyde

With a combined age of 1,075 years, the Donnelly family have revealed the secret behind their longevity – porridge oats.
Inducted into the Guinness book of world records, the 13 siblings from County Armagh grew up on a farm with a diet that consisted of locally sourced ingredients including free-range pigs and chickens for bacon and eggs, as well as vegetables grown in their own garden.
However, the family have revealed that the one food that has really fuelled their record breaking long lives is porridge, and not just for breakfast.
“We've always followed Daddy's habit of that nice warm bite before sleep,” said Joe Donnelly, the 72-year-old youngster of the clan.

Porridge at around 10pm, then again for breakfast at 7am. Cooked oats, milk, a spot of apple jam on top.”

They carefully avoid a fasted state by digesting carbs all night and then eat an early breakfast.

Last edited:

GTW

My grandfather McCann's family were from County Armagh. Don't leave out the tatties!

Kimster

Forum Supporter

They carefully avoid a fasted state by digesting carbs all night and then eat an early breakfast.
I have a friend born & raised in Wales. And quite a singer. He ate a giant 'Plate' of oatmeal everyday. Dumped it on a big plate because he says that's what his Mom did so it makes him think of her. When he stayed with us I had to leave the room because watching him eat this was insane. He would sprinkle sugar over the top of the oatmeal in a thin layer, then sprinkle gelatin (collagen) in a thin layer .......then look to his right, look to his left it was like a ritual and TUCK in. With a spoon......
click, slide, slurp......click, slide, slurp and on & on till finished. Click spoon on plate, slide spoon to get oatmeal, slurp down the hatch. Had to leave the room!
Sorry...long story long.......when he had a colonoscopy his Doctor naturally videoed it. He asked him to sign a form to let him use it as a teaching tool. Told him and gave him a copy of the video, that he had the cleanest, healthiest, pinkest, finest colon he had ever seen in all the years of being a Doctor.

hierundjetzt

I have a friend born & raised in Wales. And quite a singer. He ate a giant 'Plate' of oatmeal everyday. Dumped it on a big plate because he says that's what his Mom did so it makes him think of her. When he stayed with us I had to leave the room because watching him eat this was insane. He would sprinkle sugar over the top of the oatmeal in a thin layer, then sprinkle gelatin (collagen) in a thin layer .......then look to his right, look to his left it was like a ritual and TUCK in. With a spoon......
click, slide, slurp......click, slide, slurp and on & on till finished. Click spoon on plate, slide spoon to get oatmeal, slurp down the hatch. Had to leave the room!
Sorry...long story long.......when he had a colonoscopy his Doctor naturally videoed it. He asked him to sign a form to let him use it as a teaching tool. Told him and gave him a copy of the video, that he had the cleanest, healthiest, pinkest, finest colon he had ever seen in all the years of being a Doctor.
Do you remember if he ate the oats raw or cooked? If cooked in milk or water?

GTW

If you pour hot water on the oatmeal it's called brose.
"No true Scot eats oatmeal with sugar!"

TheSir

There are heaps of recipes online regarding an overnite soak with oats and milk, etc.
Evidently, but that does not concern us. We are interested in how your friend in particular was eating them. Raw, cooked, milk, water?

Kimster

Forum Supporter
Evidently, but that does not concern us. We are interested in how your friend in particular was eating them. Raw, cooked, milk, water?
He cooked them with water as per package instructions, they were slow cook version oats not steel cut. And I forgot a splash/drizzle of milk or cream on top what ever was around.

TheSir

He cooked them with water as per package instructions, they were slow cook version oats not steel cut. And I forgot a splash/drizzle of milk or cream on top what ever was around.
Thanks.

Bluebell

What a cool story Kimster! He sounds adorable, I would have stayed to watch and maybe got a plateful myself. Did he seem like a healthy man in general? Was the final oatmeal pretty thick? How much in a sitting?
I haven't heard of collagen sprinkled on top of oats before, I wonder why he came up with that idea.

InChristAlone

Wow and Peat would have cited a study claiming whole grains cause colon cancer.

I think well cooked white rice is better than oatmeal. Also well cooked masa harina. Most long lived people eat tons of carbs. Starch is easier and causes fewer problem as predominant calorie source. I find oatmeal problematic as it seems to increase endotoxins.

Kimster

Forum Supporter
What a cool story Kimster! He sounds adorable, I would have stayed to watch and maybe got a plateful myself. Did he seem like a healthy man in general? Was the final oatmeal pretty thick? How much in a sitting?
I haven't heard of collagen sprinkled on top of oats before, I wonder why he came up with that idea.
consistency was a bit loose, not thick. When dumped on plate it flowed to the edge neatly. Not watery. He was healthy, didn't drink. At one point he took some pycnogenol and it made his hair fall out. He stopped. I'm sure the gelatin was his addition not his Mom's . Trust me, he is a little Elf , witty , fun, he did things the traditional way. Was teaching me to build dry rock walls and weaving bushes, braiding bushes to create a living fence. Repaired doors on our barn with old hinges, etc. Yet, a couple of times experiencing the oatmeal ritual was enough for me. He lived in our spare bedroom for weeks while working around our Farm. And when he dumped the oatmeal on the plate, I would say, John wait......let me get my things so I can get out of the room.
It was a tad too OCD for me. It was a ritual......the same, the same, the same. And I was a Sound Recordist for 20 years, so listening to that spoon click that plate was beyond nails on a chalkboard for me. Everyone's different........thank goodness!

InChristAlone

I think well cooked white rice is better than oatmeal. Also well cooked masa harina. Most long lived people eat tons of carbs. Starch is easier and causes fewer problem as predominant calorie source. I find oatmeal problematic as it seems to increase endotoxins.
That's the thing. Peat diet causes this due to avoiding fiber. The microbiome becomes increasingly unhealthy. Especially if there was antibiotic usage.

That's the thing. Peat diet causes this due to avoiding fiber. The microbiome becomes increasingly unhealthy. Especially if there was antibiotic usage.

That would be true if there was actually a Peat diet. There is not. Dr. Peat was all about investigation and finding what you think works for you. This forum and many other people have decided on what constitutes a Peat diet.

Dr. Peat was rather dismissive of starch at times, but he did encourage fiber that is insoluble, such as from carrot salad or well cooked chopped mushrooms or well cooked bamboo shoots. And fruit fiber.

InChristAlone

That would be true if there was actually a Peat diet. There is not. Dr. Peat was all about investigation and finding what you think works for you. This forum and many other people have decided on what constitutes a Peat diet.

Dr. Peat was rather dismissive of starch at times, but he did encourage fiber that is insoluble, such as from carrot salad or well cooked chopped mushrooms or well cooked bamboo shoots. And fruit fiber.
Can you point to any quote where he was encouraging fruit fiber? He always said pectin in juice was terrible, to make sure it was well filtered.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals
Back
Top Bottom