Supplemental T3

fever257

Can anyone who’s supplementes T3/Thyroid hormone give their thoughts on it?

What was your experience?, was it helpful?, etc.

I have pretty low metabolic function right now - pulse: ~60 & temp @97.1.

I was pretty set on supplementing with T3 until i read on here that supplementing lowers the body’s natural production of T3.
thus you have to supplement even more.

I’m just wondering if that’s true and if i could eventually get off of it.

thomas00

I was pretty set on supplementing with T3 until i read on here that supplementing lowers the body’s natural production of T3.
thus you have to supplement even more.

"Experimenters using isotopes gave large doses of thyroid until the subjects' glands were completely shut off, and when they stopped giving the doses, everyone's gland returned to normal activity in just 2 or 3 days. The gland is extremely quick to adjust its activity, both up and down, except when it's inhibited by stress, or PUFA, or estrogen, etc. [TAKING THYROID WILL HAVE LONG-TERM EFFECTS]"

Ray Peat Email Exchanges - Ray Peat Forum Wiki

With a few caveats, if you read something on these forums that is negative about thyroid, it's generally coming from outright ignorance about thyroid use, or some person who didn't know understand what they were doing or incorrectly attributed some symptom to taking thyroid.

I'd recommend reading everything you can about what Ray has written on thyroid, the different methods to take it and which brands have a good track record, and perhaps listening to some of the radio segments of him talking about it. They are very useful and it's helpful to be informed if you are going to start.

Danny Roddy has a good article here too:
Demystifying Thyroid Supplementation | Dannyroddy.com on Patreon

mbachiu

I can’t remember which book it is that Ray wrote (one of the book about women & nutrition), but he shares an experience of a woman who basically came alive again after supplementing with some thyroid, & she states that thyroid is love. I will try to find it & post it later today. I know this sounds a little woo woo, but I felt like I was dying a month ago & since starting on a higher dose of T3 I feel like I’m coming alive again.

bluefish

My waking temp is usually 97 or 96... and my digestion can be on the slower side... would this point to thyroid supplements helping me?

I just finished reading the link to Danny roddy’s thyroid article. Sounds a bit complicated to supplement correctly...

OP
fever257

fever257

@ Bluefish i'm not sure, I've never supplemented thyroid.

Update: I talked to my physician last week who vehemently warned me about supplementing with thyroid, as the body stops producing the hormone when its supplemented. I know this to be true, but the body resumes production soon after the thyroid stops being supplemented. Then again, he also tried to gauge my entire metabolic activity by my TSH levels, a pituitary hormone.....

Anyway, I'll be visiting an endocrinologist in the coming weeks to hopefully get a thyroid prescription.

bluefish

Update: I talked to my physician last week who vehemently warned me about supplementing with thyroid, as the body stops producing the hormone when its supplemented. I know this to be true, but the body resumes production soon after the thyroid stops being supplemented. Then again, he also tried to gauge my entire metabolic activity by my TSH levels, a pituitary hormone.....

Anyway, I'll be visiting an endocrinologist in the coming weeks to hopefully get a thyroid prescription.

From my experience w most doctors... they always say stuff like that. Doesn’t mean it’s true are false. Doctors are frustratingly narrow minded and kinda dense...

Anyways good luck w that. I’m still curious about this whole subject.

thomas00

They're all trained to believe what they are told by the authorities unfortunately.

You could show him this badboy that came out this year, if there is a chance he isn't entirely inflexible

Time for a reassessment of the treatment of hypothyroidism | BMC Endocrine Disorders | Full Text

invictus

What I read on the forum seems mostly focused on what looks like primary hypothyroidism or sub clinical. Central hypothyroidism and peripheral thyroid resistance are different animals. Central is a malfunction in the pituitary/hypothalamus. PTR might be related to non-functioning enzymes. Both require high doses of either T4, T3, both or desiccated. What that optimal dose would be is dictated by one's response(increased energy/body temps, improved mood(not manic, just 'feeling good', weight loss, libido/sexual function). Most endocrinologists see patients in terms of lab values, not how you're feeling/functioning. Cookie cutter medicine, IMO. Such doctors refuse to look beyond what they learned during their clinical residency.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals