Repair damaged mitochondria?

ChadGPT

My grandma smoked while she was pregnant with my mom and I was around a lot of smoke growing up. I believe this damaged my mitochondria and that’s why I have very high levels of oxidative stress now. Is it possible to repair my mitochondria or will I just have to try to mitigate the oxidative stress for the rest of my life? Can the actions of one person doom the whole genetic line?

Blossom

Forum Supporter
I do not think you are doomed. We can always work toward improving our own situation.

My mom smoked while pregnant with me. I was also around a lot of smoke growing up and went on to smoke myself for quite a while yet here I am in my 50’s continuing to make progress. We may always have a stronger tendency towards oxidative stress than others born without this in their family history but that’s no reason to give up.

I wish I could give you a quick fix but honestly I think it’s just a matter of doing the things that consistently help you feel your best over the long term.

For me various things have helped at different times like methylene blue, charcoal, certain supplements and dialing in diet but I don’t have a specific x,y,z process that fixed my issue. The supplements were mainly a bridge to help me break the cycle through the times I could feel oxidative stress was way too high. You can definitely feel it when that happens.

I hope others have some practical and helpful suggestions for you. Just don’t give up!

Michael Mohn

Since the paleolithic (hunter/gatherer) time humans have spent their evenings around camp fires, being exposed to much more smoke and toxins than smoking a few cigarettes per day.

I don't think your mitochondria is bad because of smoking, rather PUFA and other toxins.

Running slowly or walking briskly for long distances stimulate mitochondria, just keep it enjoyable, have short (2min) breaks, don't become breathless.

GTW

Intracellular mitochondrial protective melatonin supposed to be generated by infrared transcutaneous light exposure.

P

Peatness

Thiamine and q10 might be helpful (along with a good diet that works for you)

I have been having some success with:
Ubiqinol, pqq, copper/manganese supplements, astaxanthin, ergothioneine, r-lipoic acid, SOD supplements.
Also tried methylene blue - cant really tell if it worked - but in case you have oxigen problems this might be handy. Also theres such thing as DNP microdose. Be carefull with DNP tho - it will kill you if you make mistakes with dosing. Thats also the reason DNP is hard to buy. Some people had miracle recovery from CFS and depression with DNP microdose.

So the idea is to get oxidative stress in mitochondria down. You start doing it by lowering oxidative stress with antioxidants and minerals needed for superoxide dismutase enzyme: manganese, copper, zinc, iron. Theres also glutathione which benefits from glycine, NAC, selenium, sulfurophane and other nrf2 stimulating herb molecules.

I think humic/fulvic acids (shilajit) works very well with mineral distribution between organs and cells.

Also switching in organized manner from high-energy states ( alot of food, exercise, stress) to low energy states (fasting, walking, resting) will heal your mitochondria.

In case you are smoking THC - THC ***** up electron transport chain (complex 1) a lot!

I

i_nomad

From some of the research I’ve seen about smoking here on this forum… you stand little to no chance of that having been much of a part of your problems. Likely PUFAs and toxin exposure above anything else.

If you’re wanting to set your mind at ease about smoking in particular, I’d recommend Smoke Screen: The Truth About Tobacco by Richard White. It’s pretty scary just how much the topic has been misconstrued and even outright lied about.

GTW

Received infomercial from Dr. Sears claims pqq the only proven mitochondrial regenerator.

golder

Received infomercial from Dr. Sears claims pqq the only proven mitochondrial regenerator.
Interesting. Can’t find Peat talk much about PQQ. I was hoping to hear his opinion on it. I wonder how he feels it compares to say Q10?

GTW

Sears' product infomercial claims pqq is the star ingredient with ubiquinol and other supporting constituents.

GTW

FWIW
Ultra_Accel_II_New_improved.jpg

P

Peatness

“All of the nutritional factors that participate in mitochondrial respiration contribute to maintaining a balance between excessive excitation and protective inhibition. Riboflavin, coenzyme Q10, vitamin K, niacinamide, thiamine, and selenium are the nutrients that most directly relate to mitochondrial energy production. “ Ray Peat

Vinny

Also theres such thing as DNP microdose. Be carefull with DNP tho - it will kill you if you make mistakes with dosing. Thats also the reason DNP is hard to buy. Some people had miracle recovery from CFS and depression with DNP microdose.
How much is DNP micro dose?
Thanks

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals