Nail Problems During Pregnancy And Breastfeeding

saene

hello all,
Long time lurker first time poster. I have been following a ray peat diet for a few years and owe significant improvement in health. During this time I gave birth to a healthy baby who I have been breastfeeding for just over 1 year. During breastfeeding for the first time I started getting ingrown toe and fingernails commonly and it appears to be fairly common in pregnant and breastfeeding women from talking to people and reading online forums. I feel that it is likely to be a hormonal imbalance or nutritional deficiency I have tried progesterone b vitamins (specifically 7 and 3) and zinc, with unclear results, but was wondering whether anyone had any input on the matter? Thanks in advance.

Peatful

Hi and welcome.

I am in agreement that it is a hormone imbalance induced issue.

What is your gut health like since noticing the ingrown nails?
Also, how are your temps?

tara

I second checking body temps. Can take a few minutes for a thermometer to stabilise.
Are you managing to get:
-plenty of nourishment - protein, minerals, vitamins, calories - remembering that you need more than usual when you are breastfeeding and working hard looking after a new born?
-regular sunlight on your skin?
-restorative sleep?
How's your breathing - relaxed, light, diaphragmatic, nasal at rest, including at night?
All these can have a bearing on your base metabolism.

I haven't had ingrown toenails, but I get other nail issues that seem to improve if I keep up enough magnesium, and recur if I neglect magnesium (and maybe calcium).
Postnatally, I think estrogen may be at risk of going up a bit higher, and consequently possibly thyroid function can risk slipping a bit low, which can have various effects, including on mineral retention. I think ingrown toenails may be another of the possible consequences of lowish thyroid function, IIRC.

OP
S

saene

Thanks so much for your replies. My temps have been low and my feet cold and I have been supplementing thyroid which has definitely helped. I think my calcium has been around 2500-3000 daily from dairy and eggshell but wonder if it’s enough for producing around 30 ounces of milk per day for a year. I also suspect I haven’t been getting enough magnesium probably around 300 mg daily at most. I think one of my biggest issues is my lack of sleep bc of my little one and likely elevated cortisol for which glycine and lapodin I think are helping. I probably also not getting enough calories for taking care of my family and working full time and am trying to increase more. I remember Dr Peat saying that protein, and b vitamins are important during breastfeeding and I notice if I keep my protein about 100 grams per day my hair doesn’t fall out, and have been taking energin but maybe not enough...would appreciate any other feedback

Peatful

OK, that's good data.
You have identified and solved your own problem.

Eat!
Eat more.
Eat more frequently.
Your body is in reserves...

Help your liver with ridding the excess estrogen by continuing to eat 100g of protein and easy to digest nutrient dense food. (Eggs, liver, potatoes, etc)
Don't eat protein alone however. Too hard on blood sugar regulation and adrenals.

Food is powerful and one thing we have 100% control over (sleep not as much!)

OP
S

saene

Thank you again, I agree and will certainly try to increase food intake. I wonder if that alone will solve nutritional deficincies and therefore I supplement ca:Mag/b vitamins etc but am unsure of doses as there is not as much from Dr Peat on breastfeeding women and how much more they need. I suppose it is best to continue with self experimentation and report back. Of course I continue to welcome suggestions and input.

Peatful

I think it is more hormonal vs nutritional btw.
But the remedy is nearly the same.

So I would say, but mind u I am not an expert, focus strictly on more food, more nutrient dense easy to digest foods and that will cover your metabolic and RDA needs.
Eating enough and more frequently is also key for you. You need to fill up your tank, you are running on empty.

OP
S

saene

Thanks for that. I think it makes sense to fill the tank before hunting for unclear deficiencies.

Hugh Johnson

Thanks so much for your replies. My temps have been low and my feet cold and I have been supplementing thyroid which has definitely helped. I think my calcium has been around 2500-3000 daily from dairy and eggshell but wonder if it’s enough for producing around 30 ounces of milk per day for a year. I also suspect I haven’t been getting enough magnesium probably around 300 mg daily at most. I think one of my biggest issues is my lack of sleep bc of my little one and likely elevated cortisol for which glycine and lapodin I think are helping. I probably also not getting enough calories for taking care of my family and working full time and am trying to increase more. I remember Dr Peat saying that protein, and b vitamins are important during breastfeeding and I notice if I keep my protein about 100 grams per day my hair doesn’t fall out, and have been taking energin but maybe not enough...would appreciate any other feedback
Dried date, vinegums, coffee and orange juice are a good way to keep the sugar flowing.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals