How are your prepping for a potential emergency?

OP
P

Peatness

Do you have a battery operated radio? Do you know someone with a land-line telephone? Do you have your relatives & friends numbers written down & safely stored? Their addresses? Do you have a list of your medications? Do you have a first aid kit & instructions? Pets? Foods?

Anonymous306

I’m preparing by creating a cooperative farm in the mountains of Latin America soon, focusing on growing foods & animals to support a no-PUFA/no-seed diet. If anyone’s interested, you can email me at [email protected]. I’ve got 4 more spots available. I just posted a thread with more information in the forum—hopefully gets approved soon!

BrianF

Ever the minimalist, I've invested only in a large machete and a barbecue as my SHTF preparations.

Last edited:
OP
P

Peatness

Mauritio

I've recently bought containers to store filtered water in . Apparently using a teaspoon of baking soda per every 10l keeps it fresh.
I also keep 10 liters of apple and orange juice in my basement.
Also bought a container for gas.

I purchased one of those solar powered radios with a crank ,that you can use as a power bank and flashlight. It works surprisingly well. This way I will always have access to my phone . Even if I wont have any reception I can read books, peats newsletters, or listen to music.

BTCMom

I'd be interested in what the basic IdeaLabs "basic" kit would include, and the rationale behind what each item would do to support health/wellbeing and protection during what would truly be an incredibly stressful time. One would probably need to customize based on age and sex? May be a young adult to middle age kit and a menopause/aging kit?

OP
P

Peatness

No electricity, no food, no running water, no law. In a now legendary forum thread, a user named Selco tells preppers about his experiences and what he and his family did to stay alive.

Mauritio

No electricity, no food, no running water, no law. In a now legendary forum thread, a user named Selco tells preppers about his experiences and what he and his family did to stay alive.
Great read. Thanks for sharing.

"Oh yes it changed my perspective on life, i know now that bad things can happens, and on more important thing, actually i believe it is most important: I don’t anymore believe government and authority, not at all. When they really doing their best to assure you that everything going to be fine, you can be sure that something bad is happening.

Do not just believe, research."

Good post so far. Redundancy regarding cooking is a must. I have a sun oven (the thing is amazing), propane grill, propane camp stove, wood burning stove (multiple sizes) and backpacking stoves. Yes, I know fuel will run out. I have loaded up while I can.

Stock up on the three levels of food. Short-term (stuff in the fridge/freezer), medium-term (pantry), and long-term (dehydrated/freeze dried).

I also purchased a solar generator last year. Zero sound output and no fuel needed. It will power my fridge or chest freezer. Crucial piece of gear.

Water storage and multiple ways to filter from rivers/lakes.

Heat. Propane heaters or wood burning stoves. Correct clothing for your environment.

Weapons. Not just firearms. Bow and arrow for game and knives for cleaning said game.

Supplements and meds.

Books.

Keep your fitness up. That could be life or death in many different SHTF scenarios.

Know your environment, know your neighbors. Be willing to share, yet be willing to defend.

Look at prepping from the perspective of staying alive, but also as a tool to buy time while you acquire the knowledge and skills you may not have anticipated the need for.

Learn as much as possible.

"Knowledge weighs nothing and you can carry it anywhere." - Cody Lundin

Last edited:
OP
P

Peatness

Mauritio

If so many rich people prepare for some big trouble, that has to mean something ...

"Since August, Rising S Company, a company that builds underground bunkers, has installed 13 safe rooms, nine safe doors, two underground bunker shelters, and two window fortifications acrossBrentwood Park, Beverly Park, and Paradise Cove. This compares with seven safe rooms in California in the last 2.5 years.

I'm.No.One

Gama lids for your 5 gallon buckets.

Silicone packs for the inside of your buckets.

Better buy seeds while you can, getting harder to get. Don't think just summer gardens either, research spring/fall/even winter crops for your area.

Greenhouse or hoop covers if you have the space.

Quail can be kept in urban settings, so can rabbits. An easy to feed meat source because if things genuinely collapse wild game will be picked clean in about a year.

Fishing gear. More than you think you'll need.

Pressure canner, you can only hot water bath acidic foods.

Multiple books on canning, drying, smoking, curing, root cellaring. Assuming Google doesn't exist.

If you can afford it, buy the entire fox fire book series.

Get local plant identification books for your bio region you'll need to know what you can eat, what's medicine, & what you can poison a person with ?

Good long distance back packs in case you gata get the f*ck out of doge. Sleeping bags, hand warmers, extra socks, lighter, flint/steel, light high carb foods.

Berkey water filters are amazing, they also make a sports water bottle.

Better make some quick clot (kaolin clay + cayenne powder), get a suture kit, check out what the over priced green medic bags have & buy what's in them individually. You'll save a ton.

Have a well? Better get a back up solar pump even a hand pump will do.

Get to know your farming community, I'm not looking to help folks who didn't care to support me before ***t went bad just the same way I know my animal feed guy is likely to be more loyal to me versus the new person who's desperate. That's just human behavior.

More fats. You need more fats. Tallow, lard, canned duck fat keeps really well.

Got a wood stove? Hope it has a catalytic converter, if not get one. You'll save on wood tremendously AND your emissions cloud will be far less noticeable.

100 proof or 80 proof vodka the cheap stuff will do. Can make tinctures, disinfect wounds, barter.

Feel like going all in little copper stills are pretty cheap bunch of sugar some bulk corn yeast if you want to but not always necessary and you can start making your own liquor for the above purposes but also a far better bargaining tool than silver or gold IMHO.

We also have Dairy cattle, beef cattle, pigs, poultry, & in a matter of weeks a solar system that can run all of our deep freezers/well pump/everything except the 220 appliances in winter.

Oh and allllll of the wireless sensors that let you know when someone's somewhere they shouldn't be or when wild game is passing by.

Lollipop2

Gama lids for your 5 gallon buckets.

Silicone packs for the inside of your buckets.

Better buy seeds while you can, getting harder to get. Don't think just summer gardens either, research spring/fall/even winter crops for your area.

Greenhouse or hoop covers if you have the space.

Quail can be kept in urban settings, so can rabbits. An easy to feed meat source because if things genuinely collapse wild game will be picked clean in about a year.

Fishing gear. More than you think you'll need.

Pressure canner, you can only hot water bath acidic foods.

Multiple books on canning, drying, smoking, curing, root cellaring. Assuming Google doesn't exist.

If you can afford it, buy the entire fox fire book series.

Get local plant identification books for your bio region you'll need to know what you can eat, what's medicine, & what you can poison a person with ?

Good long distance back packs in case you gata get the f*ck out of doge. Sleeping bags, hand warmers, extra socks, lighter, flint/steel, light high carb foods.

Berkey water filters are amazing, they also make a sports water bottle.

Better make some quick clot (kaolin clay + cayenne powder), get a suture kit, check out what the over priced green medic bags have & buy what's in them individually. You'll save a ton.

Have a well? Better get a back up solar pump even a hand pump will do.

Get to know your farming community, I'm not looking to help folks who didn't care to support me before ***t went bad just the same way I know my animal feed guy is likely to be more loyal to me versus the new person who's desperate. That's just human behavior.

More fats. You need more fats. Tallow, lard, canned duck fat keeps really well.

Got a wood stove? Hope it has a catalytic converter, if not get one. You'll save on wood tremendously AND your emissions cloud will be far less noticeable.

100 proof or 80 proof vodka the cheap stuff will do. Can make tinctures, disinfect wounds, barter.

Feel like going all in little copper stills are pretty cheap bunch of sugar some bulk corn yeast if you want to but not always necessary and you can start making your own liquor for the above purposes but also a far better bargaining tool than silver or gold IMHO.

We also have Dairy cattle, beef cattle, pigs, poultry, & in a matter of weeks a solar system that can run all of our deep freezers/well pump/everything except the 220 appliances in winter.

Oh and allllll of the wireless sensors that let you know when someone's somewhere they shouldn't be or when wild game is passing by.
Fantastic suggestions and post. How long will seeds keep?

I'm.No.One

Fantastic suggestions and post. How long will seeds keep?
Seeds can keep for thousands of years under the right conditions!

But in every day human conditions I've had seeds viable for up to a decade. Keep them cool/dark/dry & you'll get decent germination for many years.

Random tip:

If you grow carrots/onions it takes two years for them to produce seed. So, buy extra seeds & don't harvest all of your first year crop so the next season they'll push up seed heads.

Lollipop2

Seeds can keep for thousands of years under the right conditions!

But in every day human conditions I've had seeds viable for up to a decade. Keep them cool/dark/dry & you'll get decent germination for many years.

Random tip:

If you grow carrots/onions it takes two years for them to produce seed. So, buy extra seeds & don't harvest all of your first year crop so the next season they'll push up seed heads.
Amazing - thank you for all of your advice and ideas ❤️

Einklang

Have a fair sum of physical cash saved, though in a real emergency even that won't mean anything

Getting fit, ahead of the population

Mauritio

Anybody know a book about prepping or a list of "how To's" with some basic survival things since we wont be able to google how to do something in such a scenario.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals
Back
Top Bottom