How are your prepping for a potential emergency?

I'm.No.One

Do you guys have any tips on which brand (of generators, panels) is most reliable, what's the minimal setup needed for fridges/freezers, what's the approximate cost for such solar system? Where to start?
I'd recommend the new lithium wall pack batteries versus the deep cell. Deep cells are prone to losing charge & constantly need topped up with distilled water. The new packs don't need that, they're good for 15+ years.

As far as how big of a system is you have to calculate your individual load. That's where you take the amps required of every appliance you want to run, add it all up, & get a system that can handle that much.

I'll tell ya right now if you want something that will do your 220V items (stove/dryer) it's going to be a 15k+ system.

But for a few newer chest freezers/lights/outlets you could probably diy it for around 8k.

You can start small and add on as you go too with more panels/batteries.

It's also worth checking with your county to see if they have any solar incentive programs some of these are tax write-offs some of these full-on pay for solar panels to be installed. Typically these are grid tide but the beauty about this is you get the panels for very cheaper free through your county or your town solar program then you just have to buy what they call a switch and some batteries hire some random person to come install them for you and if the grid goes down you can flip that switch and start catching power in your batteries versus feeding it back into the grid.

When you do feed it back into the grid they typically deduct money off of your power bill in the summertime or whenever you're helping your meter go backwards.

Editing to say:

Any new panel is fine it's more about the batteries and such needing to be a decent quality, sure you can buy more expensive panels but my dad (who's been doing solar installation since it became a thing for the city that we live in & is a 45+ year master electrician) says people are just paying for brand names when they buy fancy panels these days.

Of course the more kilowatts a panel can produce the less panels you have to have.

I'm.No.One

Also, here's a legit podcast to help folks cut through the sea of doom/survival info out there.

They used to have a mega forum, it's archived now but is fully readable.

Mauritio

Powdered milk, eggs and potatoes.

And banana chips made with coconut oil and sugar.

There's also bread in cans that lasts decades (only four ingredients) . They found some of this from ww2 and its still good. I bought 6kg for less than 30 bucks. Actually it tastes so good I'm eating it now.

Nilogic

I just heard on a YouTube video that lighters are a good thing to prep in case of emergency :
Useful to put a fire on to cook, heat, ect
Can be a valuable exchange item (for food, medication, ect)
Gas lighters are ok but won't last very long even when rechargeable, electrical lighters are a better option for own use (rechargeable w.e. solar energy)

1644064547422.png
1644064490245.png

Mauritio

I just heard on a YouTube video that lighters are a good thing to prep in case of emergency :
Useful to put a fire on to cook, heat, ect
Can be a valuable exchange item (for food, medication, ect)
Gas lighters are ok but won't last very long even when rechargeable, electrical lighters are a better option for own use (rechargeable w.e. solar energy)

View attachment 33208View attachment 33207
I think lighter are great for barter incase ***t hits the fan.
In the SHTF scenario in eastern Europe the guy wrote that they would keep a fire burning at all times because they didnt want to loose it or people would walk many miles with a burning peace of wood ,just so they could get a source of fire .
You can get 50 lighters for 10€ and they will be A LOT more valuable in case SHTF.
The electric USB lighter also seems interesting.

OP
P

Peatness

Dave_Fit

I don't know if Tallow has been mentioned, I've skimmed through the thread and didn't see it, it's shelf stable for a long time, lots of calories, I bought a 50 lb block for $50 US, a dollar per pound is way cheaper than a dollar per ounce from a health food store. I contacted a friend in the restaurant biz and he got it for me from his supplier. I think with limited space, sweetened condensed milk is better than unsweetened as calorie density is a key in keeping a store to live off of. I have a thing called a water bob, it is a giant plastic bag that fits in a bathtub, with an opening to fill it and a hand pump. At the first sign of an emergency fill all the tubs with these and fill them completely.

OccamzRazer

- Raw honey
- Rice/beans
- Dried fruit
- Coconut stuff

- Greenhouse(s)
- Plant seeds of all sorts
- Silent weapons for hunting (bows)

- Candles
- Books

Regarding the raw honey, this might be a good bulk option: Bulk Raw Honey | Wholesale Honey I've been ordering from them and it seems high-quality.

OP
P

Peatness

I need a good emergency multi mineral/vitamin - is this ok if not please share suggestions

Last edited by a moderator:

Mauritio

I need a good emergency multi mineral/vitamin - is this ok if not please share suggestions

That's a vitamin d supplement ...

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals
Back
Top Bottom