How are your prepping for a potential emergency?

P

Peatness

Please post a list that could be helpful for others of items that could come in handy in case of food shortage and power cut etc My list so far is:-

Candles
Batteries
Wind up radio(some come with phone chargers)
Wind up lamp/touch
Canned fish
Canned fruit
Dried fruits
Tinned Milk
Longlife milk
Longlife juices
Sugar
honey
Marmalade
Frozen fish/prawns/fruit/veg
Gelatine
Cocnut oil
Household toiletries
Vitamins/minerals /IdeaLabs products

I dont eat starch but if I did I would get:-
Oats
Rice
Masa Harina Flour

Sefton10

You’ll need some sort of generator to keep the freezer going if the power goes out.

Sefton10

Ok, so it's going to be tricky, so let's stick to simply stuff. Any ideas?
Probably a gun, ammo and/or learn martial arts for when the neighbours come to take your food and generator...

Stilgar

We have a few big empty jugs for water, in case the water supply goes down or gets contaminated. I think the thing I heard was to fill any container you have with water as soon as the power goes down, or something like that.

Sefton10

Not into sharing then?
? I was being facetious, sorry Pina. I think if it does get to the point of the power grid going down and food genuinely being scarce things will go south pretty quickly. I think on the last Generative Energy episode Ray did actually mentioning stocking enough food for the neighbours.

OP
P

Peatness

Probably a gun, ammo and/or learn martial arts for when the neighbours come to take your food and generator...
? I was being facetious, sorry Pina. I think if it does get to the point of the power grid going down and food genuinely being scarce things will go south pretty quickly. I think on the last Generative Energy episode Ray did actually mentioning stocking enough food for the neighbours.
I was about to tell you off. :): Yes I heard Dr Peat say that. I am happy to share. I've got too many canned fish anyway

Sefton10

I was about to tell you off. :): Yes I heard Dr Peat say that. I am happy to share. I've got too many canned fish anyway
So few people ever think about this stuff it would be carnage. I’d guess the vast majority of people have a 3 or 4 days of good sustenance at best. I reckon the sharing would last a week, maybe two, then the gloves would come off. Certainly in the big cities. Smaller villages might be able to organise better and be more sustainably cooperative.

If you really want to be prepared the only real way is semi-off grid with your own land, food supply and power source. The ability to hunt wild game would be a useful life skill too. Sadly society is almost entirely dependent on the industrial food supply now.

Seven

You can get more ideas by searching phrases like:
bug out bag essentials
prepper's list

Sefton10

PS I remember a brilliant tweet thread a couple of years ago. It’s been deleted now. They guy was basically saying that post-apocalyptic entertainment (books, films, games etc.) in the cultural consciousness really took off in the early 2000s and hasn’t stopped because we instinctively know the way we are living is ’off’. It’s almost as if it’s not just a genre anymore it’s secretly a fantasy for many people.

Missenger

PS I remember a brilliant tweet thread a couple of years ago. It’s been deleted now. They guy was basically saying that post-apocalyptic entertainment (books, films, games etc.) in the cultural consciousness really took off in the early 2000s and hasn’t stopped because we instinctively know the way we are living is ’off’. It’s almost as if it’s not just a genre anymore it’s secretly a fantasy for many people.
It's a fantasy for people to die from predictive programming like retards from planned bolshevism? What are "zombies"?

Last edited:

Sefton10

It's a fantasy for people to die from predictive programming like retards from planned bolshevism? What are "zombies"?
No, I mean in the sense it’s a fantasy for those who can see how far humanity has strayed from the path to see the wheels come off, not to be an actual zombie themselves. A lot of people would find way more meaning in a life spent hunting for food and protecting their tribe/family from marauders than clocking into the BS office job they do now.

Missenger

No, I mean in the sense it’s a fantasy for those who can see how far humanity has strayed from the path to see the wheels come off, not to be an actual zombie themselves. A lot of people would find way more meaning in a life spent hunting for food and protecting their tribe/family from marauders than clocking into the BS office job they do now.
People have been larping about going 'innawoods' away from "civilization" for years everywhere in the "western world", the joke is that the ones promoting it are the ones that want to take over said civilization, I'm just saying. It's why people make jokes about "anarchist governments", this is why Mexico is run by cartels. Nothing wrong with it, a lot of this ***t is predictive programming though.

OP
P

Peatness

Would dried bananas be ok ? I know they are not peaty ordinarily

Please post a list that could be helpful for others of items that could come in handy in case of food shortage and power cut etc My list so far is:-

Candles
Batteries
Wind up radio(some come with phone chargers)
Wind up lamp/touch
Canned fish
Canned fruit
Dried fruits
Tinned Milk
Longlife milk
Longlife juices
Sugar
honey
Marmalade
Frozen fish/prawns/fruit/veg
Gelatine
Cocnut oil
Household toiletries
Vitamins/minerals /IdeaLabs products

I dont eat starch but if I did I would get:-
Oats
Rice
Masa Harina Flour

I stocked up on a bunch of dried seaweed. Ghee too!

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals
Back
Top Bottom