How are your prepping for a potential emergency?

I've stayed away from buying starchy food for my supply. I'm wondering if it might be prudent to include rice or oats
I wouldn't do the oats because cause without calcium dental decay will ramp up. I stopped too stocking up on the starchy foods and beans and am keeping the white rice. I bought the as already made packs so I wont have to waste precious water making rice, pasta, oatmeal and such.

akgrrrl

I've stayed away from buying starchy food for my supply. I'm wondering if it might be prudent to include rice or oats
Pina my opinion is YES.
When millions survive on rice everyday for thousands of years, of coyrse. Buy India or Thai. Some rice is 16% proteins, but not in America.rice in all its forms is useful. For debilitating diarrea esp. Buckwheat is extremely nutritious. Rice is such a blessing to extend any foods you have. It serves the same purpose for dogfood extending.
I would not be without my 35lbs of whole oat groats. Do not buy oatmeal or rolled or flakes, it goes bad too soon. Everything stored should be ina cool dark place with plastic or metal not glass scoops. Maybe get knowed up on using masa, canned hominy, which is also nixtimalized corn. For sauces, puddjngs, baking, casseroles and tasty hot drinking gruels. In the prepper frame of mind, we have to use everything to its best use.

akgrrrl

I wouldn't do the oats because cause without calcium dental decay will ramp up. I stopped too stocking up on the starchy foods and beans and am keeping the white rice. I bought the as already made packs so I wont have to waste precious water making rice, pasta, oatmeal and such.
None of that already made packs or microwave rice will last, sorry, unless it is a freezedried product. Wait...you wont stock oats to keep from going hungry because might get a cavity? Extra toothbrushes maybe?

akgrrrl

Does everyone understand that a squeeze on food supplies by the ruling class wont be a coupla months? That a full on disaster where roads are impassable could be years? Dont let normalcy bias thwart your planning. We should all be planning food and first aid short term into self reliance in our communities longterm. Has anyone seen the vids yet on magnets sticking to euro chocolate bars, granola bars, other manufactured foods? Graphene in food, hmmmm.

None of that already made packs or microwave rice will last, sorry, unless it is a freezedried product. Wait...you wont stock oats to keep from going hungry because might get a cavity? Extra toothbrushes maybe?

Anti-nutriemts from grains causes cavities, Peat says. Oats especially pull minerals from the body. Lots of calcium is necessary to balance that problem. I don't know that I will have lots of calcium in an emergency. I certainly don't need to deal with, or die from a tooth infection trying to survive. In a survival situation I don't need to be wasting my water scrubbing the oats from my pot after making oatmeal either. The already made rice has a year away due date so I use it and rotate in new stuff, so I am never near the due date. Ray talks about how he rot his own teeth out from experimenting with wheat germ because of it's anti-nutrients.

akgrrrl

Anti-nutriemts from grains causes cavities, Peat says. Oats especially pull minerals from the body. Lots of calcium is necessary to balance that problem. I don't know that I will have lots of calcium in an emergency. I certainly don't need to deal with, or die from a tooth infection trying to survive. In a survival situation I don't need to be wasting my water scrubbing the oats from my pot after making oatmeal either. The already made rice has a year away due date so I use it and rotate in new stuff, so I am never near the due date. Ray talks about how he rot his own teeth out from experimenting with wheat germ because of it's anti-nutrients.
Welll...training in water conservation in a disaster would never have you using water just for cleaning a pot. A halfcup of water, scrapings, would go to pet food or plants or compost.

Welll...training in water conservation in a disaster would never have you using water just for cleaning a pot. A halfcup of water, scrapings, would go to pet food or plants or compost.

I have never had an easy time cleaning a pot that I made oatmeal in. Anything that takes away minerals from my body eating it isn't a good emergency plan for me. I know everytime I eat oats my teeth get so sensitive, no thanks.

akgrrrl

I have never had an easy time cleaning a pot that I made oatmeal in. Anything that takes away minerals from my body eating it isn't a good emergency plan for me. I know everytime I eat oats my teeth get so sensitive, no thanks.
In this teeny bottle 250,000 iu of calcium.
Groats. Not commercial oats.

OP
P

Peatness

Pina my opinion is YES.
When millions survive on rice everyday for thousands of years, of coyrse. Buy India or Thai. Some rice is 16% proteins, but not in America.rice in all its forms is useful. For debilitating diarrea esp. Buckwheat is extremely nutritious. Rice is such a blessing to extend any foods you have. It serves the same purpose for dogfood extending.
I would not be without my 35lbs of whole oat groats. Do not buy oatmeal or rolled or flakes, it goes bad too soon. Everything stored should be ina cool dark place with plastic or metal not glass scoops. Maybe get knowed up on using masa, canned hominy, which is also nixtimalized corn. For sauces, puddjngs, baking, casseroles and tasty hot drinking gruels. In the prepper frame of mind, we have to use everything to its best use.
Thanks.

Lollipop2

Does everyone understand that a squeeze on food supplies by the ruling class wont be a coupla months? That a full on disaster where roads are impassable could be years? Dont let normalcy bias thwart your planning. We should all be planning food and first aid short term into self reliance in our communities longterm. Has anyone seen the vids yet on magnets sticking to euro chocolate bars, granola bars, other manufactured foods? Graphene in food, hmmmm.
+1 - the key theme: it won’t be for only a few months - think years.

B

Braveheart

Correct, this will be for years...more and more I am grateful for leaving the US and settling in Belize 25 years ago...very easy to be self sufficient here...this little underpopulated country is self sufficient in all food thanks to the Mennonites and our growing weather here...plus our "Bush Medicine" is ancient and incredible...cheap to live here too...not much clothing, no heating expense etc etc...a healthy place to live...the only disease here, as elsewhere...politicians.

akgrrrl

Correct, this will be for years...more and more I am grateful for leaving the US and settling in Belize 25 years ago...very easy to be self sufficient here...this little underpopulated country is self sufficient in all food thanks to the Mennonites and our growing weather here...plus our "Bush Medicine" is ancient and incredible...cheap to live here too...not much clothing, no heating expense etc etc...a healthy place to live...the only disease here, as elsewhere...politicians.
You had the wisdom and forethought to make a big move. All those elements contribute to chances for success imo.after I get a hand pump on my well, and get more wood cut, I will feel as you do. The tyranny is the big bugaboo if Mazlos is satisfied.

Jonnie

Please post a list that could be helpful for others of items that could come in handy in case of food shortage and power cut etc My list so far is:-

Candles
Batteries
Wind up radio(some come with phone chargers)
Wind up lamp/touch
Canned fish
Canned fruit
Dried fruits
Tinned Milk
Longlife milk
Longlife juices
Sugar
honey
Marmalade
Frozen fish/prawns/fruit/veg
Gelatine
Cocnut oil
Household toiletries
Vitamins/minerals /IdeaLabs products

I dont eat starch but if I did I would get:-
Oats
Rice
Masa Harina Flour

I have the keys to my grocery store.

Mauritio

Dont know if already mentioned but simply stacking up in tons of refined white sugar and hydrogenated coconut oil will last a long time.
Also : OJ, chocolate (!), honey, tuna, canned fruits, canned liverwurst , salami , dates, salt , corn waffles, marmalade, ...

Plus some weeks worth of aspirin, antibiotics, vitamins etc.

And some physical silver or gold in case money loses its value.
I just started a thread on it ,because I know nothing about it.
(Investing in physical silver)

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals
Back
Top Bottom