How are your prepping for a potential emergency?

Nah, not so genius, just the way it is up here. We have "modern conveniences", a McDonalds and a TacoBell, but thats mostly the cigarettes and sodas crowd, millenials and mouthbreathers.
Haaaah
Well I thought I thought I was doing well, but now I realize I got some catching up to do ?

Energizer

We better figure this out soon huh? I am excited about your wheel barrel suggestion! I will have to let you know how ot goes! What kind of grapes are you growing, eating or wine making?
Yeah I meant wheelbarrows full as in yield wise. She used plastic buckets for the potato grows. They're just regular grapes I'm not sure what kind, when they grow more I guess I'll find out.
Energizer, go apples from Oregon! I have an elder that brought two saplings in her suitcase by plane some 30 years ago and they are huge trees very abundant producers. Apples are very much gmo and pesticided now. They keep well, they can up good as chunks or applesauce, easy one pan cobber, cake or pies.
Glad you liked the show of only one wall of that room...the other wall: 6 gallon bucket pleistocene era seabed salt, 6 gallon bucket raw honey good for 100 years, 5 gallon bucket maple syrup, 4 flats of widemouth jars canned with moosemeat tender as a pot roast, 4 flats of smoked King Salmon and fresh red salmon. A shelf unit of liquid soap, bleach, dry laundry powder, 3 propane tanks for HeaterBuddy backup heater, portable water filter system, 4qt vintage iron Dutch Oven with CONCAVE lid for covering in coals to make it an oven, several pounds of coffee and teas, bulk dark cocoa, sugar, 10 gals of coconut oil, a huge trauma kit and additional box of gauze, Steripads and tape.All other chemicals, compounds, herbs and oils are in the 12x8 walk-in pantry next to the kitchen where I have scale, beakers and bottles. There is also a stack of linen for emergencies..thrift store fare...towels sheets blankets, wrap an injured dog, soak sheets with water to lay over the woodpile when sparks were in the air from a fire, box of disposable gloves for anything.
Its always good to have a chat with everyone in your house, to designate a meeting place somewhere in the neighborhood if things go awry and everyone is away from home, and maybe you cant get back there...
Sounds like you basically could have your own supply store there, heh. Good to know on the apples it was either that or apricots and I am partial to the apples especially since the organic apple sauce sold here is expensive!

akgrrrl

Those rocks are beautiful! Do you have bears to worry about? I wondered about the wire fencing around the porch?
Good eye! Yep the heavy hogwire goes across 24ft deck then 36ft along the back of the house. The door and all is my design hired me a welder to execute. A bumpout for the bbq so it doesnt smoke up the deck, and a place for canning.

Attachments

• 20200805_180301.jpg
    20200805_180301.jpg
    871.6 KB · Views: 31
  • 20200722_171845.jpg
    20200722_171845.jpg
    495.9 KB · Views: 31

akgrrrl

Yeah I meant wheelbarrows full as in yield wise. She used plastic buckets for the potato grows. They're just regular grapes I'm not sure what kind, when they grow more I guess I'll find out.

Sounds like you basically could have your own supply store there, heh. Good to know on the apples it was either that or apricots and I am partial to the apples especially since the organic apple sauce sold here is expensive!
Those Oregon apple trees, I think she said they were called...Something Transparent. Green Transparent maybe? You should be able to find them thru your local Cooperative Extension office. Ooh thanks everybody for this exchange! Hope we gave each other good ideas. Good idea for a thread, Rinse.

akgrrrl

And bears, yes. But mostly at specific times of the year. They come out hungry, and stalk the moose cows most vulnerable dropping calves in May, then they head for the rivers and beaches for dead salmon, following the eagles. Then back to foothills for berries and beyond. Here, you look left and right as you leave your porch for moose or bear. Bears hate the smell of ammonia. If I was having a gathering, would spray bottle four corners of the top acre.
Ps I dont cook much bacon in the summer.

Attachments

• 20201023_112119.jpg
    20201023_112119.jpg
    284.3 KB · Views: 29
  • 20201023_112009.jpg
    20201023_112009.jpg
    241.8 KB · Views: 30

akgrrrl

Thankyou Pina for your diligence on this topic. Really appreciate IceAgeFarmer

akgrrrl

Degen DE13 AM FM SW crank up emergency radio​

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cPwanVzzJog

Ooh good post! I am a fan of CCrane radios, I have 2 models with different features for disaster and everyday applications. But recently purchased this shortwave antennae to boost my WWII short wave made of Bakelite. Tubes replaced, I dialed in some Persian station from here in AK without an antenna, so eager to see what can be heard!

Attachments

• 20210710_082215.jpg
    20210710_082215.jpg
    369.7 KB · Views: 7
OP
P

Peatness

Ooh good post! I am a fan of CCrane radios, I have 2 models with different features for disaster and everyday applications. But recently purchased this shortwave antennae to boost my WWII short wave made of Bakelite. Tubes replaced, I dialed in some Persian station from here in AK without an antenna, so eager to see what can be heard!
You guys are too advanced for me, I am very impressed. To be honest, in an emergency I am not convinced I could cope

Last edited by a moderator:

Marine

I read here about canned sweet potatoes, dont know if its good, and maybe canned oysters??

OP
P

Peatness

Which type of milk are you buying. I'm looking to get some tinned milk but concerned about Stabiliser: Disodium Phosphate

akgrrrl

Which type of milk are you buying. I'm looking to get some tinned milk but concerned about Stabiliser: Disodium Phosphate
Pina I stack it all.
Powdered milk
Powdered cream
Sweetened condensed by the case
Evaporated canned by the case
Shelf stable cartons, but not more than I might use in a winter for regular uses
Powdered goat milk
There are applications for each that serve your cooking or consumable purposes, and mixing is also helpful.

OP
P

Peatness

I've stayed away from buying starchy food for my supply. I'm wondering if it might be prudent to include rice or oats

Back
Top Bottom