HMB ly 2023

David PS

I did not double check the title of this thread and I cannot edit it.

July 2023

Abstract​

This study underlines the importance of β-hydroxy β-methylbutyrate (HMB), a muscle-building supplement in human, in increasing mouse hippocampal plasticity. Detailed proteomic analyses reveal that HMB serves as a ligand of peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor α (PPARα), a nuclear hormone receptor involved in fat metabolism, via interaction with the Y314 residue. Accordingly, HMB is ineffective in increasing plasticity of PPARα-/- hippocampal neurons. While lentiviral establishment of full-length PPARα restores the plasticity-promoting effect of HMB in PPARα-/- hippocampal neurons, lentiviral transduction of Y314D-PPARα remains unable to do that, highlighting the importance of HMB's interaction with the Y314 residue. Additionally, oral HMB improves spatial learning and memory and reduces plaque load in 5X familial Alzheimer's disease (5XFAD) mice, but not in 5XFADΔPPARα mice (5XFAD lacking PPARα), indicating the involvement of PPARα in HMB-mediated neuroprotection in 5XFAD mice. These results delineate neuroprotective functions of HMB and suggest that this widely used supplement may be repurposed for AD.

Last edited:

DennisX

Not everything that works in mice works in humans. HMB is a derivative of leucine. Leucine is a cheaper way to go to get HMB.

OP
David PS

David PS

Not everything that works in mice works in humans. HMB is a derivative of leucine. Leucine is a cheaper way to go to get HMB.

Thanks for the info about leucine. It lloks like I am getting enough from my diet.

Leucine-Chart-768x453.png

OP
David PS

David PS

It still might be worth it.
All of the HMB present in the human body is derived from dietary sources of leucine, with about 5% of all dietary leucine being converted to HMB.[1] HMB is thought to help reduce muscle protein breakdown and may mediate some of the effects of leucine on muscle protein synthesis.

DennisX

Yeah that might be true but I don't like adding another derived molecule to my smoothy and paying a lot for it without human RCT trials

OP
David PS

David PS

This study demonstrated the potential of HMB and vitamin D3 supplementation to enhance muscle strength and physical functionality in older adults, even in individuals not engaged in an exercise training program.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals